U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:18 AM

29 posts, read 46,352 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I know you must be bored with the same questions over and over so I'll try to be brief. I have studied and worked in San Francisco for the past 5 years but have just been offered a better job in Boston, and I will take it

A lot of questions obviously have come up, but I couldn't find a good answer to the following:
- Where to live, considering I will work right next to the Prudential Station? I am 27 years old, male. I do like to go out and walk around (I spent most of my life in Europe...), enjoy a beer after work, go clubbing, play sports, etc. I wouldn't mind sharing at all, I don't know anyone in the city so it may be a good chance to meet someone. I'd like to keep my budget under $1,500 since I'm saving up for an MBA. I heard nice things about Cambridge but the commute doesn't seem too easy. Oh I also have a car, even though... next
- Should I bring my car over? I wouldn't mind the drive from San Francisco, it would be a nice adventure. Perhaps I could even ship it. But I read Boston's garages are the most expensive in the nation after NYC. I'm used to pay $80/month. Yes, in SF. Are there any residential areas, still connected to the city, with decent street parking? I hope you don't need a car within the city but it would be nice for weekend trips, buying groceries, etc.
- I hope not to get anyone offended, but I honestly don't like old houses. I've always lived in very new buildings with modern amenities. Think washer/drier in the apartment, dishwasher, gym, bike parking, definitely a lift, etc. Most places I have found are quite old with nothing of the above, is there any newer community that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to rent? Again I'm okay with just a room, I don't need a whole flat.

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 06:31 PM

2,050 posts, read 3,461,317 times
You really don't need the car. Just join Zipcar (born in Cambridge). I cannot fathom parking anywhere decent for $75 monthly. You can park free with a resident sticker in most neighborhoods but it's not always easy to find a spot...don't forget to get up early and move it for street sweeping or snow removal.

Lots of old, nearly 100 y.o. apt. buildings in and around Boston. Newer construction is available but a 1 BR is often almost $2000-$3000 monthly in upscale properties. It's about $1700 in an old basic building in the Fenway, about 15 minutes on foot to the Pru.. It's reportedly very hard to find an apt. here, even with great credit.

Maybe Quincy, MA, will offer a modern 1 BR at your price. Red line subway to green line to the Pru. About $80 for a monthly subway pass, maybe a $25 cab ride from late nights at downtown bars.

Get ready for some muggy summer weather at times...

Old 07-23-2013, 09:25 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,530,078 times
The PRU is the heart of the city. Ditch your car. Find something within walking distance. Everything is right there. Look in the South End, Back Bay primarily, Fenway or Kenmore secondarily. There are modern high rises all around PRU and w no car (and no $2k/yr insurance + $150 month parking fee + $35 day parking at work) you can spend a few extra bucks for your pad. Don't be afraid of "old houses" in Boston. Most in that area are gut rehabbed and absolutely fabulous despite being 150 years old. The neighborhood is very historic yet in pristine condition.

Spend a little extra if needed, try downtown for one year. Treat yourself for a year. Then when you get your bearings and know the area, find your permanent nest.

I say Cambridge no. Too hard to commute to the PRU when options in the neighborhood are equal to superior w/o any commuting issues.

View from the PRU

Old 07-24-2013, 02:10 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,742,771 times
Waltham, JP, Quincy, Brookline likely have newish high rise apartments in your range, probably 1 BR or studio. Anything in BackBay will be out of your price range or very old or both.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:58 PM

Thanks all of you for your responses.

I will try my hardest to stay within walking distance of PRU. I would love to be in the center, close to everything, and a short walk from work as well. I could definitely increase my budget a bit for that.
Would you say that a decent room fitting my criteria above is doable in that area for $1500-$1600?

Of course I have spent plenty of time on Craigslist but I'm starting to think it's not as good of a reference point as it is in San Francisco. In other words I haven't found many good options!
Any other suggestions?
I may be okay with a broker as well because I'm pretty sure my employer would pay for it, so if you can recommend one (perhaps with a PM), that would be appreciated.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:13 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,225,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marione View Post
I wouldn't mind the drive from San Francisco, it would be a nice adventure.
Most of the drive isn't nice lol.
Last summer, I drove from Sac to Boston. There are some nice places - driving through the Sierra, up from SLC into Park City, the mountains between Cheyenne and Laramie, WY - but most of it is barren. There's nothing in Nevada after you leave Reno, there's almost nothing in Wyoming, period, and your in flat, empty Nebraska for 400 miles before you hit any civilization (Lincoln, then 60-70 miles to Omaha), Iowa is almost as empty except for Iowa City right in the middle, Illinios is pretty bad till you get to Chicago.
There's only so much prairie/farm land I can take lol.
But some parts of Wyoming are nice to look at, all of the southern tier expressway through NY is interesting, you could hit 3 of the 4 major north American sports hall of fames (NHL in Toronto would be the missing one).

Think of the Prudential area as Union Square/Nob Hill, but without the Tenderloin next door.
If you want to keep your car and your budget, look slightly further out and take the train in. It might be possible to find a place near the end of the Green line.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:51 PM

2,050 posts, read 3,461,317 times
St. Botolph St. behind the Colonnade hotel is charming, but it's brownstones and similar. Search CL for that area.

32 Garrison in that area is 25 years old or so, so that's modern for Boston, but it's expensive, as is 118 Huntington next to the Colonnade. Some Red Sox live/have lived in the latter but it's more like $2500 -$3000 at least. Perhaps that's where a roomie comes into play, and you say you wouldn't mind.

Museum Towers, modern, is across from the science museum on the Cambridge/Boston border.

1575 Tremont (The Longeood) is a refurbished and now $$$ building in Mission Hill just over a mile to the Pru. Lots of students and such around, near Longeood medical area. Perhaps that's just a bit above your budget as is 75 St. Alphondus St. nearby, even closer to Pru.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
St. Botolph St. behind the Colonnade hotel is charming, but it's brownstones and similar. Search CL for that area.

32 Garrison in that area is 25 years old or so, so that's modern for Boston, but it's expensive, as is 118 Huntington next to the Colonnade. Some Red Sox live/have lived in the latter but it's more like $2500 -$3000 at least. Perhaps that's where a roomie comes into play, and you say you wouldn't mind.

Museum Towers, modern, is across from the science museum on the Cambridge/Boston border.

1575 Tremont (The Longeood) is a refurbished and now $$$ building in Mission Hill just over a mile to the Pru. Lots of students and such around, near Longeood medical area. Perhaps that's just a bit above your budget as is 75 St. Alphondus St. nearby, even closer to Pru.
Indeed all these places seem beyond my reach. They shouldn't be with a roomie though.
Any suggestions on my previous question? In San Francisco I wouldn't use anything other than Craigslist. I think that's not the case with Boston?

Old 07-31-2013, 07:33 PM

24 posts, read 27,742 times
Split with a roomie you would be able to stay under your $1500 budget. Combined cost will run into $3k for a 2br. Craigslist should help you procure a roommate and living situation. Many parts of South End (Not Southie, there is a difference) are walking distance to the Pru and roommate-living is certainly available. Fenway may be an option but more like a bike-ride or long walk to Pru. Many parts of Cambridge are easily accessible via red line transferring to the green line. Probably about a half hour each way depending on where you are. You shouldn't rule it out simply for the commute, and may find more affordable roommate housing options. Car will not be needed if you are going to be living within the Boston-Cambridge area. Parking in downtown Boston runs from a low $150-300+ a month... Seriously.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:41 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,012,024 times
You can use CraigsList, but keep in mind that most realtors also use it, so you still might end up paying a broker's fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or