U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2013, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Up North
3,404 posts, read 7,250,918 times
Reputation: 3036

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsualumizzy View Post
I moved here last year from Charlotte, NC to Boston. The cost of living is going to hit you hard not so much the winter. It is going to cost you $2000+ for a 1 Bedroom on the Green line that is NOT near student living and trust me you want to avoid the student living areas like Allston and parts of Brighton. Then you have to pay for parking in some places like Brookline because you can't park on the street at night (But it is a beautiful town.) That can be $100-$400 a month, if you have a car. My advice don't ditch the car. Now if you live way off the green line or on a different line like the red line, it can be cheaper such as near Cambridge, Davis Square is nice but not necessarily the cheapest. Side note being from Charlotte this is where you are going to want to get your ribs at a place called Redbones. Oh how I miss Sweet Tea. But my advice to you is try a town like West Roxbury. You can get into the city very quickly and it is a beautiful town right by Chestnut hill area which has (Brookline, Newton, Parts of West Roxbury.) I use to live in Revere, that was a quick route into the city and the place I lived at had transportation to the Orange line and quick access to Route 1. My advice is to stay West of the city within the 495 loop, the towns are nicer, and have more of a New England feel to them. Watertown, Somerville, and Waltham are cheaper but at the same time don't have access to the city. A really nice little town would be Arlington (Near Cambridge.) The economy is Great here IMO compared to Charlotte. I could never get a job in Charlotte and I am an Accountant with a Master degree. I got a job here asap with State Street and then moved onto another company. Education system is great too incase you ever want to have kids or currently have kids and need to enroll them in school. I would say the major downfall of Boston, is the price of buying a home. $650k gets you a 5 Bedroom 3 Bath home in Charlotte, here 2 Bedroom 1 bath condo in Brookline, maybe 3 bedroom. As far as buying food and supplies it is about equal. Bills on an apartment are equal as well except the water bill for some reason is a lot more here, then again I could just have bad luck with that. In the end I don't mean to scare you away from moving here with your budget on an apartment you can do it, but there will be sacrifices. 1. Live in the college area the places are cheaper or Live further away from the city. 2. Get a 1 Bedroom. 3. Look on Craigslist and don't be afraid of the dirty apartments for some reason in the NE they take pictures of all these apartments with clothes everywhere and dishes everywhere, big turn off. You'll see what I mean, and don't and I mean don't get a realtor. The fees alone will kill you. 4. Best advice is if you have a car keep it and live off the line the apartments are cheaper, keep your address on your insurance with your NC address and pay NC fees. Good luck my friend.


i would like to add on to what you are saying. The student areas are HUGE and most people do not want to live in them because they are dirty and everyone around you is a student. I'm a student and live in Brighton (student area) and pay $1,050 a month rent for a studio. Roommates situations in this area which is the cheapest way to live around here run about $700-$1,000 per month. Rich parents or student loans usually pay for these things which is what keeps them so expensive.

In Brookline it is required to rent a spot because cars cannot be parked on the street passed 2am or they get ticketed or towed. Rent for a parking space usually costs about $250 per month in Brookline. If you rent a place with a driveway, its all good but it will be quite expensive ($1,400+).



I agree that West Roxbury near Chestnut Hill would be a great place for a Southerner to move to because there is more space and neighbors are less transient=friendlier than in other parts of the city.

I'm studying to be an Accountant and possibly go for the CPA. I can't believe you couldn't find work in Charlotte because it seems booming to me. Are you a CPA? State Street is a big employer but I have heard mixed reviews about working for them and it seems turnover there is high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2013, 10:42 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
3 posts, read 7,063 times
Reputation: 15
Thank you again for your helpful advice. My MA degree won't be in regular education but rather Higher Education, University Administration... so that would a viable option for me to transition to. From some research, the job market in higher education seems to be much, much better in Boston (while I'm sure still very competitive) than down here.

Charlotte used to be a boom town... but it stalled out pretty bad with the recession in 2008 and is just now showing minor signs of life. NC, as a whole, has the 5th highest unemployment rate in the country. Charlotte's current unemployment rate is about 8.8%. FSUalumni isn't the only person I've heard of that couldn't find a job here in accounting and finance. Yes, most of the top major banks are here, but the news reports daily of the thousands of layoffs they are predicting in those fields. I think a lot of people from northern states still picture NC as that warm (I actually was chilly today at 72 for a high, lol), cheap, utopia where the endless waters flow... and that's not true anymore. NC will be similar to Mississippi in few years with poverty and illiteracy if we keep it up. I'd stay out of here, and I'm a native looking to get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 12:24 AM
 
64 posts, read 65,741 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
i would like to add on to what you are saying. The student areas are HUGE and most people do not want to live in them because they are dirty and everyone around you is a student. I'm a student and live in Brighton (student area) and pay $1,050 a month rent for a studio. Roommates situations in this area which is the cheapest way to live around here run about $700-$1,000 per month. Rich parents or student loans usually pay for these things which is what keeps them so expensive.

In Brookline it is required to rent a spot because cars cannot be parked on the street passed 2am or they get ticketed or towed. Rent for a parking space usually costs about $250 per month in Brookline. If you rent a place with a driveway, its all good but it will be quite expensive ($1,400+).



I agree that West Roxbury near Chestnut Hill would be a great place for a Southerner to move to because there is more space and neighbors are less transient=friendlier than in other parts of the city.

I'm studying to be an Accountant and possibly go for the CPA. I can't believe you couldn't find work in Charlotte because it seems booming to me. Are you a CPA? State Street is a big employer but I have heard mixed reviews about working for them and it seems turnover there is high.

I am currently sitting for the CPA exams here in Boston. And yes it was that bad in Charlotte. The main problem is that Charlotte will live and die by Bank of America and when Bank of America isn't hiring Charlotte's economy is not doing well, especially when BOA is releasing workings every year. When BOA is hiring, Charlotte is thriving. The worst part is I believe the new President of BOA lives here in Boston (Weston or Wesley) and works in NYC, and there is fear that BOA may move the headquarters to NYC. Then Charlotte's economy is in real trouble. I mean sure they have Well's Fargo but they are really in San Fran. Point being you can't have your economy based on one product in this case Finance or Banking. You need to diversify. Charlotte needs to learn that quick or hope that BB&T swoops down from Wake Forest. I know they are trying with Chiquita but they need to keep luring more big businesses to Charlotte. Having the DNC there was a great start, heck I worked in the DNC Headquarters. We'll see only time will tell. But I need to have a future for me and my family and that starts here in Boston and I suggest that to OP. BTW West Roxbury/Chestnut Hill is a great transitional town/area because you are coming from a city where there isn't much traffic and homes have yards to a city that is rich with history, and full of traffic. As far as State Street, they suck. The have a huge turnover because they can't keep employees because the way they treat employees, and the pay is low. A good highlight of State Street is that it looks great on your resume if you put in some time there. But you'll end up working 10-12 hr days in Quincy most likely. Also, the people are nice, just not upper management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 12:29 AM
 
64 posts, read 65,741 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by asc1988 View Post
Thank you again for your helpful advice. My MA degree won't be in regular education but rather Higher Education, University Administration... so that would a viable option for me to transition to. From some research, the job market in higher education seems to be much, much better in Boston (while I'm sure still very competitive) than down here.

Charlotte used to be a boom town... but it stalled out pretty bad with the recession in 2008 and is just now showing minor signs of life. NC, as a whole, has the 5th highest unemployment rate in the country. Charlotte's current unemployment rate is about 8.8%. FSUalumni isn't the only person I've heard of that couldn't find a job here in accounting and finance. Yes, most of the top major banks are here, but the news reports daily of the thousands of layoffs they are predicting in those fields. I think a lot of people from northern states still picture NC as that warm (I actually was chilly today at 72 for a high, lol), cheap, utopia where the endless waters flow... and that's not true anymore. NC will be similar to Mississippi in few years with poverty and illiteracy if we keep it up. I'd stay out of here, and I'm a native looking to get out.

You know the funny thing is I was driving in New Hampshire, which is a stone throw away from Boston and I was thinking of how much that this state reminds me of NC. So if you ever get "Home sick" take a drive up North, I kid you not you will think you are driving from Charlotte to Shelby to Asheville. And yeh they are far from illiterate here in the Boston area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 01:22 PM
 
486 posts, read 360,497 times
Reputation: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsualumizzy View Post
As far as State Street, they suck. The have a huge turnover because they can't keep employees because the way they treat employees, and the pay is low. A good highlight of State Street is that it looks great on your resume if you put in some time there. But you'll end up working 10-12 hr days in Quincy most likely. Also, the people are nice, just not upper management.
It really depends on the group you end up in - some work normal 8 hour days, some work less than that, and some work crazy hours as described above. Also, some have younger people, and some have a bunch of grumpy old geezers who have been in the same position for 20 years - I've noticed the latter seem to be more prevalent in Quincy offices. Pay is much lower than industry average - I think $34K starting, mid-50s in lower level management, and mid-70s in middle-level management. Interview process is easy, so you're much more likely to get a job there than a firm that pays better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2013, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Storybrook
100 posts, read 170,889 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by asc1988 View Post
Hi!

I'm looking for some advice on the possibility of a future move to Boston.

I'm a southern guy currently living in Charlotte, NC, where I've lived all my life. It's a beautiful city and I love it, but the politics, closed-mindedness and backwardness of rural NC has unleashed its full wrath in our state legislature (if you haven't already heard of their antics).

I took a weekend trip to Boston earlier in April to see a friend of mine, and I loved the city. The people were so nice and open-minded, and I love the history of the city. I'm looking for an urban area to settle down where the people are educated, open-minded, and friendly. From my limited experience, Boston fits that pretty well.

I'm currently an 8th Grade U.S. History Teacher and my NC Teacher's License is in History/Social Studies (grades 6-12).

My B.S. is in History, Secondary Education and my M.A. is in Higher Education, University Leadership.

Any advice on the job market in either of those fields is much appreciated. What is the public school setting like up there? From my research, it seems very diverse in the city itself. I admit I'm unfamiliar with the organization of school districts there. In NC, each county has their own district with a few having city school districts. In MA it seems like each town has their own district, which makes it a bit overwhelming to research every last one.

Secondly, cost of living... I'm assuming there's quite a difference...

In NC, my household expenses run:
$600/mo. for a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom home.
About $175/mo. for utilities (electric, gas, water)

My salary as a teacher in NC is a dismal $30,800 before taxes.

As a teacher in NC, we're being treated lower than dirt, taking away pay for M.A. degrees, no raises in 5 years (not even for cost of living increases), we've lost tenure now... and it's becoming a very hostile state for teachers to work in. One of the many factors for wanting to get out.

Does anyone have a ballpark estimate of the cost of living increase and salary of a 2-year teacher in the Boston area?

As far as where I want to live, I'd want to live in the urban area of Boston preferably in walking distance to the T. The neighborhood doesn't matter so much, as long as it's safe and has nightlife and entertainment fairly close-by.

Thank you so much in advance for your help!
Andrew
Thank you Andrew for starting this thread! I am a fellow NC native trying to figure out how to get out of this state to a more open minded place that values education. I am looking at several states and Mass. is one of them. Reading the replies on here has given me some things to think about...like the fact I can't afford Boston Good Luck with everything. I hope you find an excellent teaching job that pays well. You deserve it and I'm afraid our great state of NC will never be a place you can find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2013, 10:18 PM
 
64 posts, read 65,741 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylea73 View Post
Thank you Andrew for starting this thread! I am a fellow NC native trying to figure out how to get out of this state to a more open minded place that values education. I am looking at several states and Mass. is one of them. Reading the replies on here has given me some things to think about...like the fact I can't afford Boston Good Luck with everything. I hope you find an excellent teaching job that pays well. You deserve it and I'm afraid our great state of NC will never be a place you can find it.
Best thing I ever did was leave NC for Boston. And I love Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2013, 11:54 AM
 
6 posts, read 10,495 times
Reputation: 15
Default Same Boat.

I'm in a similar situation, currently in Greensboro looking to move back to Boston. I lived with family before so I never felt the force of 2k+ rent, but I'm starting to think it's very worth it. All of the racism, close-mindedness and general hatefulness (under the guise of good God-loving people) is really getting to me.
I don't really have advice or answers for you, I'll be following this thread for advice myself But good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top