Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:47 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times

Advertisements

This is a follow up to my previous thread. I have revised my "list".

I will probably end up working in the Financial District when I graduate from college. I'm a single woman with a 5lb dog.

I am willing to live with roommates and pay up to $1,200-$1,300 per month. Where can I live that will allow me to WALK to work without taking the T.

I would like a 30 minute walk, less would be great but I'm trying to be reasonable.

I will be seeking on street parking.

Some areas I have been wondering about:

Charleston
North End
South End
South Boston
Back Bay
West End
Roxbury
Dorcester
Bay Village
China Town
Fort Point
Leather District

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:59 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Lose the car and live in the North End! When you need a car, use a Zipcar.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:25 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
Charlestown Yard has nice units if you're considering roomies, but not in your own place. Parris Landing is one choice. There's even a water taxi near Old Ironsides. But groceries may be an issue until Whole Foods opens. Or else get produce in the a North End and Haymarket (Fri/Sat).

You'd have to actually find people in the Navy Yard or around Monument Sq. who need a roomie, though. Not as easy as finding a realtor for your own place.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:34 AM

2,725 posts, read 6,113,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Lose the car and live in the North End! When you need a car, use a Zipcar.
I second this.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:26 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
I think South Boston or Dorchester in a shared multi-family is a stronger likelihood with the dog, and you would have more places for dog walking. Although Dorchester would be an impossible for a walking commute. I would widen your range to a share house situation in Quincy near the red line, if you can't find what you are looking for in those two areas.

Most of those places in the North End are really tiny.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 PM

17 posts, read 30,894 times
North End, North End, North End, North End!!! Sell your car and your walk to work; I've done this walk and it will be the breeziest walk ever.

You can't live in a nice place by yourself with a dog in that budget range, but you can *DEFINITELY* get a nice place if you have roommates and are using that $1200-1300 budget to pay your share. Because that would mean your entire apartment will potentially be $2500/month for a 2bed, or even up to $3500 for a 3bed.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:26 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Thanks for all the suggestions but I really do not want to sell my car. It is relatively new and paid for fully so I would like to keep it for weekend use.

I'm sure I can find a spot!

Old 07-30-2013, 09:01 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Well selling your car, saving on car insurance and not getting any parking tickets will benefit you financially in a significant way. I like that your car is all paid for, but having it parked on a side street of Boston is only going to diminish its value because of our winter road salt and inconsiderate drivers and pedestrians not respecting it while it sits parked on the weekdays.

Otherwise, I got the impression from past posts that you wanted to leave Boston as soon as you graduated?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:53 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
When I lived in the North End, we occasionally got Zip Cars and even finding parking for that was a pain. It can be done, it just depends how long you want to look for a spot--you'll have to move it a few times of week regardless of whether or not you intend to go anywhere. Otherwise, you could find a two bedroom for $2K and you could walk to work.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:55 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
This is a follow up to my previous thread. I have revised my "list".

I will probably end up working in the Financial District when I graduate from college. I'm a single woman with a 5lb dog.

I am willing to live with roommates and pay up to $1,200-$1,300 per month. Where can I live that will allow me to WALK to work without taking the T.

I would like a 30 minute walk, less would be great but I'm trying to be reasonable.

I will be seeking on street parking.

Some areas I have been wondering about:

Charleston
North End
South End
South Boston
Back Bay
West End
Roxbury
Dorcester
Bay Village
China Town
Fort Point
Leather District

Thanks!
How about Beacon Hill? with a roommate or two should be able to swing it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston