Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 04:30 AM

23 posts, read 89,286 times

Advertisements

A single gay man here. Living in Great NYC area.

I heard cost of living a lot cheaper in Boston.
I would get a higher salary. More money in my pocket.
I loved it when I visited last winter (except the extreme coldness).

So I want to know how's the gay scene there? Easy to make any new friends?
Since 85% of the population are White, is there any room for an Asian guy (reasonably good looking and hot)?
BTW, I am 30.

I kinda hope 2-3 dates per month which will lead me to the right guy.
Right now in here, nearly every single gay man is drawn to NYC.
But I don't want to live in NYC, because it's snobby and dirty.
Guys change their boyfriends frequently because there's always a 'next better' one.
Or they don't want boyfriends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 05:59 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aug828 View Post
A single gay man here. Living in Great NYC area.

I loved it when I visited last winter (except the extreme coldness).
Is NYC warmer than Boston in the winter time?

Old 08-01-2013, 06:05 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Boston has one of the largest gay communities in the country, as far as how the scene is I can only base it on what my gay friends and co-workers say and they seem to enjoy living here for the most part. The ones that are looking to go elsewhere have the same complaints as anyone else regardless of their preference.

If you could raise your salary in the process then it would really open up alot of opportunities for you both on a professional and personal level. I would look into the South End if I was you as that is the center of things.

Also as you know Massachusetts has legal gay marriage and a governor and legislature that is very supportive of gay rights.

Good luck.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:04 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aug828 View Post
I heard cost of living a lot cheaper in Boston.
I would get a higher salary. More money in my pocket.

(reasonably good looking and hot)?

I kinda hope 2-3 dates per month which will lead me to the right guy.
Right now in here, nearly every single gay man is drawn to NYC.
But I don't want to live in NYC, because it's snobby and dirty.
Guys change their boyfriends frequently because there's always a 'next better' one.
Or they don't want boyfriends.
It's less expensive but not a huge amount lower. It's still pretty expensive, unless you go outside the city. And how do you know you'll get a higher salary? Were you offered anything.

You're reasonably good looking AND hot? Don't you need to be reasonably good looking first? I feel like you could have left that out. Or better yet, left out that you are "hot".

I grew up in Brooklyn and go down to NYC a few times/yr. I know a couple gay people who are in long term committed and respectful relationships. Snobby? Change partners frequently? I think that's just your particular crowd/scene rather than the gay community. I'm sure you can find a real relationship with a good person without moving to Boston. Boston is great, I don't want to discourage you from moving but don't be an idiot. Read your post again, you sound like a person from the very scene you claim to not want to be in.

I don't like the tone of your post.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:36 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,104,962 times
I have relatives who are gay and very happy here around Boston. It's a wonderfully supportive environment, given the generally higher educational and economical level of the area. That said, you may need to check your own attitude to make sure that you are not creating the problem that you say you want to avoid.

I always find it funny that, regardless of race, creed or orientation, there are always guys who think they are "God's gift to whatever". How can you possibly be "reasonably god looking" AND "HOT" at the same time? In my experience, guys who say they are "reasonably good looking" tend very often to be far more attractive than those who proclaim to the whole world that they are "hot".

Old 08-01-2013, 10:00 AM

Sorry if I offended some of you guys. I am not intended to.
I am sure there're plenty of relationship oriented guys in New York City.
Snobby, playing around is just my coarse impression and hearsay when I was in the City, which is not often.
Sorry again.

I actually don't live in the City. 40 minutes drive from there.
Probably I won't complain anymore if I live there.
Anyway, I don't want to live in current place anymore.
Seems the City draws almost every single gay guy to it.
I want to move to the city, or Boston, or West Coast.
Just want to know more about Boston, which I am more unfamiliar with.

As of 'reasonably good looking and hot', by 'hot' I mean the body.
I am fit, a bit athletic.
Sorry if it confuses you.
And I never thought I am any kind of God's Gift to whatever, but I do think that I am capable of loving another person and making us happy.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:09 AM

Yes, I think NYC is warmer in winter because Boston is so windy.
But in Boston I can drive. Don't need to endure the coldness.
While in NYC, driving is such a gigantic pain in the ass.
(Experienced driving in both places.)

Old 08-01-2013, 10:53 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Hmmm... I find that windyness in a city is caused by the numerous tall buildings channeling and compressing the natural air flow. So I'd have thought that NYC was far windier than Boston.

Anyway, from my observations of single men and women, being good looking and "hot" is a hindrance to finding a good long term relationship. Try not to be so shallow or conceited and instead look for someone that has great inner qualities. In a healthy and happy relationship, having a beautiful inner self, compassion and modesty are the most important attributes to have present.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,039 times
New York is about 5-10 degree warmer during the winter months. They also have a significantly lower snowfall total. Everyone I know who has lived in both places consider Boston winters to be worse.

My understanding of the gay scene in Boston is that it is more integrated into the general population than in other cities. I think dating in NYC regardless of orientation is more competitive and challenging. Of course, you will also meet more people so in theory that should increase your odds of meeting someone you get along with. If you think Boston would be a good fit then by all means come. It doesn't sound like you are happy where you are so if you can make a change then I would absolutely go for it.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:38 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Not to derail this thread, but the difference in temps between Boston and NYC during winter, and really the entire year, is very small. Apart from the snow difference, where Boston gets a good bit more(which is the factor everyone I know who has lived in both names as the reason winter in Boston can be a little bit worse), we're talking less than 3-6 degrees on most days. We're not talking about the difference between Boston and say Atlanta where there's a clear difference.

As far as the Gay scene is concerned, I can only pass along the opinions of my cousin and a friend who both are big fans and like what Boston has to offer. It is also nice that Provincetown is a pretty short distance away as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston