U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 02:38 PM

4,425 posts, read 3,462,761 times

Advertisements

Aug828;

No need to apologize. Just pointing out the perception you give to others when you use certain words. I hope you remember this when you go to your next party and start chatting with someone you like!

Personally, I can only deal with NYC in bite-size pieces (like a week at the most). I much prefer the Boston area.

Areas to check out in and around Boston, as far as I know from my brother and cousin (both gay), are...

1) Boston's South End, Backbay, Jamaica Plain, Roslindale, anywhere around universities like Northeastern etc

2) The People's Republic of Cambridge and its satellite colony David square in Somerville (Harvard square, MIT etc)

3) For fun, there is the whole Cape thing with P-Town as its capital; there is also Ogunquit and its surrounding towns in Maine, and there is the Berkshires in Western Massachusetts

4) The Gay Pride Parade is pretty decent here in Boston; the one in Providence, Rhode Island (held a week after the one in Boston) is done at night (very cool).

5) You have the right to legally marry/wed your loved one in all of the New England states....because we are civilized.

Have fun if you decide to come here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 03:30 PM

6,011 posts, read 6,992,353 times
If you visit, maybe check out the south part of the red line from Ashmont down to North Quincy, especially Marina Bay and Squantum. Not sure if there is a thriving Gay Asian scene. I do know a number of people who are either gay or Asian living around there.

Would Roslindale be too old of a scene for the OP? Everyone I know from there is an older baby boomer hippie?

The South End and BackBay fashion scenes might be more of what you the OP are trying to escape from leaving New York, too superficial?

Check out Davis Square in Somerville too if you like a more casual hipster scene.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:00 PM

2,130 posts, read 3,569,189 times
I believe the Savin Hill section of the Dorchester neighborhood has been attracting gay men for over ten years or more. It's not a gay ghetto, but a bit cheaper than downtown with its own subway stop. Even Quincy should be fine for most gay males, and Asians are everywhere in Quincy.

I think D Bar and Ashmont Grille nearby are gay friendly.

Maybe take a boat ride from Boston to Provincetown before the summer is over...or as suggested by another poster, visit Ogunquit Beach in southern Maine.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:13 PM

4,429 posts, read 6,414,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
My understanding of the gay scene in Boston is that it is more integrated into the general population than in other cities. I think dating in NYC regardless of orientation is more competitive and challenging.
I think this is accurate. Manhattan is very competitive and has a well-defined gay scene. Boston's "gay scene" barely exists, not because there aren't gay people but because they're so well integrated. I just spent the spring there and it was very different from Chicago, where I live most of the time. Most of Chicago and the suburbs are very welcoming and gay-friendly, but there are also two, maybe three, large neighborhoods with strong gay presences for when you want to go out and see more gay people than straight people even if it's just to socialize. The number of places I found like that in Boston was tiny. Integration is mostly a good thing, but sometimes it's nice to go to places with just gay people.

That said, Boston is fairly competitive, too. It's not Manhattan, but it's not exactly low-key. And expense-wise, while it's cheaper than Manhattan, I don't think it's much cheaper (if at all) than the other parts of New York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
5) You have the right to legally marry/wed your loved one in all of the New England states....because we are civilized.
You do realize gay marriage is also legal in both New York and California, the two other states he mentioned, right? I mean, if you're going to cop an attitude, at least acknowledge the facts.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:17 PM

4,425 posts, read 3,462,761 times
"You do realize gay marriage is also legal in both New York and California, the two other states he mentioned, right? I mean, if you're going to cop an attitude, at least acknowledge the facts."...

Yes I do realize that fact. My point is that the op wont be moving away from 'civilization' if he decides to move to Boston.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:32 PM

23 posts, read 68,248 times
I guess either Boston or NYC is better than where I live now, in terms of personal life.
Total number of dates I've had in the past 16 months can be counted on the fingers of two hands.

In NYC, the rent costs too much.
One of my buddies moved there in May and spends $1700 a month for a tiny 1 br which barely holds his bed.
I spend $1200 now sharing a 2br but much more spacious.
Can I expect similar price for a 1br in Boston without sacrificing living conditions?

Old 08-01-2013, 07:38 PM

23 posts, read 68,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
"You do realize gay marriage is also legal in both New York and California, the two other states he mentioned, right? I mean, if you're going to cop an attitude, at least acknowledge the facts."...

Yes I do realize that fact. My point is that the op wont be moving away from 'civilization' if he decides to move to Boston.
Yes I know same-sex marriages are granted in these three places.
But it's just something on the paper for me now.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:49 PM

6,011 posts, read 6,992,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aug828 View Post
I spend $1200 now sharing a 2br but much more spacious.
Can I expect similar price for a 1br in Boston without sacrificing living conditions?
Possibly in Quincy or Dorchester and highly unlikely in the South End.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:09 PM

2,130 posts, read 3,569,189 times
Seems basic 1 BRs now in the West Fenway area are about $1700 w/o a/c or parking.

Hard to believe...

As mentioned above, try Quincy. As I posted yesterday, lots of Asians (mostly Chinese) here. Almost overwhelming. Not sure if there are many gay male Asians, though. It's likely quicker on public transit from Quincy to Park Street than from Brighton, an actual Boston section! And you could find a basic one bedroom for well under $1200.

Sitting here at a Panera in Quincy, two of four tables in front of me have Asians sitting, while a party of three whites just entered (for what it's worth).

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 08-02-2013 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 08-02-2013, 06:11 PM

4,780 posts, read 7,324,799 times
I hope it is a lot friendlier than what I experienced a couple of decades ago, you couldn't have found more rude, unfriendly and stuck up cute Boston boys if you tried, and this was when I was young and cute haha. Trying to just say a friendly hello in a club was mostly met with silent glaring stares, repeatedly?! I know that New Englanders are notoriously provincial and insular but you woulda thunk the gay scene was a little more evolved.

No worries though it was just an observation at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston