U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:25 AM

238 posts, read 245,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This is true in lots of places. Online socializing/cruising, and the normalization of being gay and being able to be out in straight clubs/bars, has hurt the scene across the country.
I'm not convinced that tolerance in straight clubs is having an impact on the demise of gay clubs. I think it's less face to face socializing. Nobody knows who's straight and who's gay in a straight club. Nobody ever knew that. If you're looking to hang out with other gays, or even pick up other gays, you're not likely to do in a straight club. But the online thing is definitely having an impact, no doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:32 AM

34,504 posts, read 24,000,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydew View Post
I'm not convinced that tolerance in straight clubs is having an impact on the demise of gay clubs. I think it's less face to face socializing. Nobody knows who's straight and who's gay in a straight club. Nobody ever knew that. If you're looking to hang out with other gays, or even pick up other gays, you're not likely to do in a straight club. But the online thing is definitely having an impact, no doubt.

I'm not sure. I think with young couples that go out they have less or no fear about holding hands, flirting, etc with each other in most straight places nowadays. They're comfortable being out and about. That is great, but I do think it has an impact. This is only true in progressive places though. Not as much as online, of course.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:39 PM

2,553 posts, read 4,950,075 times
Quote:
I think with young couples that go out they have less or no fear about holding hands, flirting, etc with each other in most straight places nowadays. They're comfortable being out and about. That is great, but I do think it has an impact.
I'd agree with this. Bars like Middlesex Lounge and Goodlife often have a large number of gay customers, depending on the night. Likewise, I occasionally find myself at Ram Rod/Machine. Far more integration these days.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:17 PM

I just wish the Napoleon Club was still around. There isn't any place I really want to go anymore.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I just wish the Napoleon Club was still around. There isn't any place I really want to go anymore.
Hmm...never heard of that one. Where was it?

Old 11-07-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Hmm...never heard of that one. Where was it?

Bay Village, Piedmont St. About a block away from Jacques. Now high end housing. Classy piano club, aka silverfox bar.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Classy piano club, aka silverfox bar.
I probably would have enjoyed that now I've mellowed with old age. At the time, I was probably wasting my evenings at Axis.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:27 PM

238 posts, read 245,928 times
Quote:
I'm not sure. I think with young couples that go out they have less or no fear about holding hands, flirting, etc with each other in most straight places nowadays. They're comfortable being out and about. That is great, but I do think it has an impact. This is only true in progressive places though. Not as much as online, of course.

I agree with the couples comment and I think it's true that couples are more comfortable holding hands in straight venues etc. This might account for a reduction in gay restaurants or other venues. But the bar scene is, and generally has been, primarily about singles.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:14 AM

873 posts, read 1,450,729 times
Quote:
This is true in lots of places. Online socializing/cruising, and the normalization of being gay and being able to be out in straight clubs/bars, has hurt the scene across the country.
I agree. I think the online scene has done a lot of damage to bars and clubs. Is it a bad thing? I don't know for sure. I certainly like integration, but coming from a small town, I am still a little uncomfortable with PDA in some places, but that's probably more my own issue than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydew View Post
I agree with the couples comment and I think it's true that couples are more comfortable holding hands in straight venues etc. This might account for a reduction in gay restaurants or other venues. But the bar scene is, and generally has been, primarily about singles.
While that is true, I assume integration also means that you might chat up another guy without fear of repercussion, which isn't something that was as likely or as safe 20 years ago.

Quote:
Bay Village, Piedmont St. About a block away from Jacques. Now high end housing. Classy piano club, aka silverfox bar.
I missed out. It wasn't open when I first visited MA in 2007.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:07 AM

13 posts, read 19,537 times
Come move to Boston! Jeez you guys are harsh! If he didnt say anything about his looks someone would say, "WELL ARE YOU NOT MEETING ANYONE BECAUSE YOUR 500 POUNDS AND ACT WEIRD?" Id say with Boston, that the gay community and straight community are kinda one in the same. Everyone hangs out with everyone, no labels, no drama. Im not sure how friendly you are expecting people here to be and I cant vouch for that because Ive lived here my whole life so this is normal to me. If someone said hi to me on my way to work I would think they were weird I guess. Any woo, move to Boston. We invented America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston