U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 10:11 AM

34 posts, read 59,653 times

Advertisements

Boston has a pretty high cost of living, so don't expect that much savings there. Unless you live in Manhatten. Boston is very progressive and "gay friendly". Also there is no particular issue with Asians...we have a reasonable sized Asian community and plenty of white guys with Asian fetishes. Big drawbacks are that the subway system shuts down between 12:00 and 1:00am, and bars lose at 2:00am, so less late night life. Also, the singles community and bars tend to be dominated by students...we are a smaller city with a a lot of colleges. This is a problem for professionals who find drunken students annoying and older people who aren't comfortable dating much younger people.

Quote:
I spend $1200 now sharing a 2br but much more spacious.
Can I expect similar price for a 1br in Boston without sacrificing living conditions?
Yes, but not in any of the "cool" areas of Boston. For perspective, I spend 2/3s of that for a 1 bedroom with no roommates walking distance from the subway. It's tiny and in a neighboring town that isn't technically Boston, but it has subways access and I have no roommates.

Quincy has a sizable Asian community, is starting to be colonised by gays, and has rents in the range you want or slightly cheaper...but it isn't Boston per se and is a bit out of the center of the action. Dorchester is closer to the city core and has reasonable rents and some gay areas, but there are still some bad spots in Dorchester. Where in Boston would you be working?

Last edited by EdLincoln86; 11-21-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 12:02 PM

4,737 posts, read 11,142,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckadams6775 View Post
If someone said hi to me on my way to work I would think they were weird I guess.
Boston and NYC are just about the only places in the entire world where people think a friendly greeting to a stranger met in passing on the sidewalk is "weird." If they've native, folks warm up slowly to new acquaintances for the most part. But to me that's better than somebody acting super nice right off the bat, the way they do down South, because the niceness is superficial and you might well get back-stabbed down the line. Once a Bostonian has become your friend it's a safer bet s/he's a keeper than in other locations.

Of course when you're gay - no matter where you are - friendliness from others like you is in direct proportion to how young and "hot" you are. Talk about superficiality!

The "Kumbaya" scenario described up-thread isn't on the mark. But it isn't all that far off either, though, depending on where you settle. Civil equality for gay individuals has been the law in Massachusetts for 26 years, and same-sex marriage became legal in 2004. People have for the most part learned that these are gains for some persons and losses for none. So perceptible fear and hatred have dropped a great deal. If somebody isn't actually "accepting," their veneer of tolerance is usually thicker than it once was (if it had ever existed before.) You just don't hear slurs thrown around in "polite" conversation between adults any more - except for maybe when the people talking are from that classy group known as construction crews. America's most notorious haters, kids aged between 12 and 23, still hurl the slurs but not as often. As is true elsewhere they're using the word "gay" as an all-purpose term of derision. Real assimilation is another generation or so away. But things are a LOT better.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:30 PM

238 posts, read 245,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post

While that is true, I assume integration also means that you might chat up another guy without fear of repercussion, which isn't something that was as likely or as safe 20 years ago.

Um, yeah, I guess if you want to take a shot in the dark that he might be gay. I don't think there were any repercussions to this 15 years ago either....unless you groped someone. But that still might get you a wack, whether the guy is gay or not. I'm not sure where all this "integration" is taking place. Perhaps in downtown Boston proper venues where it's often hard to tell the difference between a flamboyant gay male and a flamboyant straight male? There is still the "rest of the world" falling generally outside the white collar "yuppie" society.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:30 PM

23 posts, read 68,248 times
Hi guys/gals,

I am OP. Thanks for all your posts.
I am just back from Boston. I had two interviews on last Friday and this Monday. I've got great feedback from both companies, and they are going to make me offers after some reference checking.
Now I can seriously talk about relocating. Yeah!!

Boston is much colder than Stamford at this time. Probably because of the wind.
And I want to know which genius designed the road system?

Old 11-26-2013, 08:59 AM

34,502 posts, read 24,000,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aug828 View Post

Boston is much colder than Stamford at this time. Probably because of the wind.
And I want to know which genius designed the road system?

I'm sure you know it wasn't really "designed", they were cow/cart paths that were paved.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:08 PM

23 posts, read 68,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm sure you know it wasn't really "designed", they were cow/cart paths that were paved.
History is also a burden.

I can start to look for a nice apartment now.
I found some nice apts in back bay/fenway/brookline/kenmore from this website: http://www.walkscore.com/
The price is quite reasonable.

Is it a reliable source?

Old 12-04-2013, 08:46 AM

33 posts, read 79,838 times
Well for starters, Boston is NOT the accepting city most make it out to be. They technically accept gay marriage but many have a "not in my backyard" attitude about it and same with me. I am anti gay marriage but I'd tell you to your face. I don't like the state agenda for it and should be removed. What you do in your own bedroom don't need to involve nobody else. Its just an abomination to accept such relationships as marriage. Marriage is between a man and a woman.. that being said: Boston is not accepting, still has racism and this even comes from me.. someone who isn't pro ***** or pro integration. I have my opinions but I don't meddle in the affairs of anyone not like me and don't feel its our jobs to and the democrat politicians should get it through their thick heads! Blacks only hate us more when we meddle in their stuff and so do the other nonwhites. Yea they come to this country for the freebies and stuff but believe you me, they don't like the "nice" whites who let nonwhites into their life out of charity either. I am not a "nice" white person. I tell you straight up what I think or I let you know.. if you're cool fine, but when you're a stranger its worse. I talk to nonwhites if they have similar goals but the democratic republic of MA just isn't a friend of mine. Even the whites who run things in this state. I don't consider them my people. I am mostly Italian,irish, Scottish, greek and have a strong Boston accent kinda but it don't mean I'm a liberal either. Think about it people, would you rather have a smile in your face bigot or someone who tells it like it is? I know I don't want the former.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:52 AM

3,500 posts, read 1,955,073 times
Oh dear! There's one in every thread isn't there? I have lived in and around eastern Massachusetts most of my life. I can say without a doubt the vast majority of straight people here really don't care. Marry, don't marry, whatever. Most natives have a very live and let live attitude. I think sometimes this is why people see us as unfriendly but most of us were brought up to mind our own business. If someone wants you to know their business the will tell you. Prying is just bad manners.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:47 PM

34,502 posts, read 24,000,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Oh dear! There's one in every thread isn't there? I have lived in and around eastern Massachusetts most of my life. I can say without a doubt the vast majority of straight people here really don't care. Marry, don't marry, whatever. Most natives have a very live and let live attitude. I think sometimes this is why people see us as unfriendly but most of us were brought up to mind our own business. If someone wants you to know their business the will tell you. Prying is just bad manners.

Yeah, it is really a non issue in this state. No one really bats an eyelash.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:07 PM

33 posts, read 79,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, it is really a non issue in this state. No one really bats an eyelash.
Ya well if I was at a park or a gathering of some sort and saw mostly straight people but the odd few gay couples or interracial couples, I'd be watching them more or Id have a scowl. But when you're an a hole regardless of what you are sexually or who you wish to date racially, I have that scowl a mile long and will look people up and down especially on the streets passing or looking at other cars going by. I am that kinda guy. I just dislike most people and most of the time in any crowded more liberal environment like MA or CA, my scowl was so much harsher when I went places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston