Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:58 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,808,898 times

Advertisements

Is 45K livable within 15 miles of downtown Boston? I'm a 26 yr old African American male professional currently living in Alexandria, VA ( Approx. 8 miles from downtown DC) but thinking about moving to Boston this coming spring. I'm currently making 50K working as a financial analyst in Tysons Corner,VA. However, I'm anticipating to be taking a pay cut upon moving, which would probably be ok, as long as it does not go below 45K. How is the job market in Boston considering the fact that there are a bunch of colleges in the area? Before becoming a financial analyst, I worked in corporate accounting for a little over a year and a half. My apt. for instance, it costs $ 1200/mo. And it's only about 8 miles outside downtown DC. Is there such a thing in the Boston area surroundings?

Last edited by Luke29; 11-13-2007 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 10:26 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,707 times
Default Grass is greener on the other side...

Jobs availability... I cannot answer that... check with your friends.
but if you're into Accounting... I think you still need a CPA.
There are 40+ colleges in the area.... so there is no lack of supply of college graduates either. Hence, the salary is actually lower for some profession. (not sure about accounting or Financial analyst.)

Housing...
Within 10 miles will put you to Rt95. (go look at a map) Rent for a one bed room is comparable. Check Craigslist. Of course, there is a range depend on how nice the amenities are.

Parking...
If you choose not to use public transportation, the monthly parking rate are $375-450/month. Many night time parking is cheaper $10-20.

To answer your question...
Yes. You can survive. You have to be discipline.

Last edited by smarty; 11-13-2007 at 10:49 AM..

Old 11-13-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Jobs availability... I cannot answer that...
but if you're into Accounting... I think you still need a CPA.
There are 40+ colleges in the area.... so there is no lack of supply of college graduates either. Hence, the salary is actually lower for some profession. (not sure about accounting or Financial analyst.)

Housing...
Within 10 miles will put you to Rt95. (go look at a map) Rent for a one bed room is comparable. Check Craigslist. Of course, there is a range depend on how nice the amenities are.

Parking...
If you choose not to use public transportation, the monthly parking rate are $375-450/month. Many night time parking is cheaper $10-20.

To answer your question...
Yes. You can survive. You have to be discipline.

Great Day! Is it that bad in Boston. Up to $ 400/mo for parking? Is this at the apartment complex or work places?? It's $ 20 a month for a reserved spot in my apt complex, and used to be $ 8 a day for parking at my old position (but my company paid for that). Plus jobs here are pretty much a sure deal for those with college degrees in accounting or finance. Just have to be sharp at the interviews.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
Great Day! Is it that bad in Boston. Up to $ 400/mo for parking? Is this at the apartment complex or work places?? It's $ 20 a month for a reserved spot in my apt complex, and used to be $ 8 a day for parking at my old position (but my company paid for that).
This is the parking rate for downtown Boston.

If the apartment complex has parking, it usually reflects in the rent.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
This is the parking rate for downtown Boston.

If the apartment complex has parking, it usually reflects in the rent.
I have no desire to reside in downtown Boston just as I have no desire to reside in downtown DC. 10 to 15 miles max outside downtown is my desirable location. I assume parking does not cost as much when one goes out that far. Or perhaps it somewhat provided by apt complexes.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:15 AM

Yes. Parking do not cost much outside of the city.

If you decide to commute into Boston by car, this is how much you will have to pay to park. Public Transportation is ok. However not as good as DC. check out MBTA.com

Old 11-13-2007, 11:41 AM

415 posts, read 1,666,178 times
Welcome to Boston. There are a lot of good places that are close to downtown where you can rent a 1 bedroom place for $1200.

Personally, I would recommend Brighton. You are about 4 miles west of downtown and on the T or close to the bus line. There are a lot of bars, restaurants, and nightlife in the area. It's a great place for a young professional in their 20's to life. Brighton has the reputation of being the student ghetto (lot's of BU/BC students, immigrants, and a large housing project), but it's cheap and fun!

Old 11-13-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGoesIt View Post
Welcome to Boston. There are a lot of good places that are close to downtown where you can rent a 1 bedroom place for $1200.

Personally, I would recommend Brighton. You are about 4 miles west of downtown and on the T or close to the bus line. There are a lot of bars, restaurants, and nightlife in the area. It's a great place for a young professional in their 20's to life. Brighton has the reputation of being the student ghetto (lot's of BU/BC students, immigrants, and a large housing project), but it's cheap and fun!
Somebody said that there are over 40 colleges in the area. Economically this would put employers at advantages as far as hiring practices are concerned. My only worry is leaving my current position in hopes of landing another position within a four weeks @ max while having to compete with all the college graduates. Other than that....i'm really ready for a change of venue not just a city but a state that's far away!

Old 11-13-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Somebody said that there are over 40 colleges in the area. Economically this would put employers at advantages as far as hiring practices are concerned. My only worry is leaving my current position in hopes of landing another position within a four weeks @ max while having to compete with all the college graduates. Other than that....i'm really ready for a change of venue not just a city but a state that's far away!
I suggest find a job first before quiting your current job. With the credit crunch (Citigroup stock went from $57 to $35 recently), there may be lots of pressure to cut cost with the financial institutions.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:44 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,649,470 times
Quote:
Is 45K livable within 15 miles of downtown Boston? I'm a 26 yr old African American male professional currently living in Alexandria, VA ( Approx. 8 miles from downtown DC) but thinking about moving to Boston this coming spring. I'm currently making 50K working as a financial analyst in Tysons Corner,VA. However, I'm anticipating to be taking a pay cut upon moving, which would probably be ok, as long as it does not go below 45K. How is the job market in Boston considering the fact that there are a bunch of colleges in the area? Before becoming a financial analyst, I worked in corporate accounting for a little over a year and a half. My apt. for instance, it costs $ 1200/mo. And it's only about 8 miles outside downtown DC. Is there such a thing in the Boston area surroundings?
You would probably be in about the same financial situation in Boston as in Washington D.C., but maybe slightly worse. Your overall tax burden would be less in Virginia than Massachusetts. Your car insurance would increase and you would be fighting for jobs with other college grads. Washington D.C. also has a better economy as it is more recession-proof than many cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: