U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:01 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,205,708 times

Advertisements

My first job ever was bagging/cart collecting at the Star Market (now Shaws) on Beacon Street in Brookline. On a blistering hot summer day, I would always start my shift by walking down the hill behind the supermarket to collect runaway carts as far as Beaconsfield Station on the D Line! I had to make several rounds a day because lazy and careless customers kept pushing the carts beyond the parking lot and leaving them everywhere so that a high school teenager earning minimum wage would have to collect them. And I'm talking high class Brookline here!

Anyways something is faulty if people are able to push carts out of parking lots and they still don't lock. Maybe equip the carts with a sensor that triggers a wailing siren almost like store theft would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 06:38 PM

4,240 posts, read 3,312,505 times
It's consoling to know that this problem is widespread. I drove by a lady pushing a cart off the S & S parking lot this afternoon. I rolled down my car window and told her to stop stealing the cart. She stopped and took out her few bags and left the cart right on the side of the road. At least it's literally right by the parking lot. Maybe if we call on anyone we see stealing the carts, then the problem will decrease.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:22 AM

Just receive wind that the Stop & Shop in Southern Artery in Quincy is testing out the wheel lock mechanism for their shopping cart. They are evaluating how successful it is to control this issue, and if everyone call into a S & S store near them when they see an abandoned cart, then the complaints will go a long way to persuade the company to apply the locking mechanism across the state. Right now, the S & S in Newport Ave in Quincy has a guy driving around "recovering" the carts at dawn....He does a poor job and often miss these carts because he is careless. There was a cart that sat at the intersection between Sherman and Harvard for 6 days....it's still there this afternoon before I finally called the manager at the store to report it.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:42 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,742,771 times
I was at Trader Joe's in Acton earlier this week. I noticed parked in the middle of the lawn next to Pier 1, there was a full TJ cart full of perishables such as a gallon of milk. There was a person sleeping on the lawn near the cart and another one a little farther away meditating. Should I have gone back into the store to let the TJ management know about it? The cart wasn't officially out of the shopping mall.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:48 PM

"The cart wasn't officially out of the shopping mall."...

Then who cares? It's not in the neighborhood. When abandoned carts are left on the sidewalk, by the intersections etc, then it's a problem because, not only do they blight the neighborhood, but they become road hazards. The situation is not that dire around me, but if something isn't done, like the OP implied in his first post, it can quickly become serious.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:33 PM

2,050 posts, read 3,461,317 times
Just saw carts back to back to back from THREE different stores on a problem block in N. Quincy. I reported carts here last year to the offending store. It's in front of a dumpy apt. building. (I live in a basic building myself but never see our residents leaving carts in front).

However, I rarely head in that direction, but I'll start to check.

Instead of calling the stores this one time, I'll call the city of Quincy next week and ask what they advise in the future: whether I should call the offending store or simply report it to their community officer as a quality of life issue. Again, I thought I had heard that if the city locates them, they'll fine the store. Really? Maybe it goes to a police fund for charities?

I noticed one of the carriages had a phone number imprinted...it may have been as Stop & Shop cart. Well, at least they're providing a number now.

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 08-23-2013 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 08-23-2013, 07:20 PM

I would love for the city of Quincy to fine the store for each cart that is not picked up. I will try to check next week myself with city hall. It's a great way to help the city make some cash, and I would much rather make a call to my city than some profit driven store that's too cheap to install the proper preventative measure or hire a recovery service guy who's not recovering from heavy drinking the night before himself. Such trash.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:24 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
Wow, to live in suburbia and have this kind of trivia become such a huge preoccupation.
The things we remember...my very first living situation as an emancipated adult (this is the actual official term) was an apartment share in Brookline, just over the border from the Longwood Medical Area. It was more than a bit of a hike to the Stop & Shop on Harvard St. All it took was one trip to realize that a person could and should buy only for the short term and not go crazy stocking up. When I was through I probably had about six full bags' worth of groceries. What to do? I had some change left, but not enough to take a cab, and neither of my flatmates had a car either. Gritting my teeth from all the noise it made going over curbs and sidewalk cracks, I pushed the filled cart all the way home. But my conscience got the best of me - after putting my purchases away I returned the clattering carriage to the store.
Many years later, my computer was acting up and I had to take it to the local Microcenter. This entailed a walk of about a mile or so - no big deal. Hard drives can get heavy and unwieldy after a while, but it's nothing short rest breaks can't fix. When the repair work was done the clerk told me I was welcome to use a shopping cart to take the hard drive out to my car. I thanked him without comment and of course proceeded to wheel it home. Here again my heart was in the right place and my intent was to return the cart. But the dozens of vagrants (spare me the poetic, PC, "homeless") who help make Central Square the colorful place that it is place a premium on shopping carts. Not 20 minutes later - after I'd reinstalled the drive - the carriage was gone from where I'd stashed it outside.
We city dwellers pick our battles. Confronting a vagrant and/or recycling-bin picker pushing a shopping cart filled with junk, and labeling them a thief while making threats to call the store and/or police, ain't gonna happen.
As for Lynn and Brockton? Don't hate until you see the complete picture or at least get to know some people who happen to live in one of those cities. "Kthanksbye"

Old 08-24-2013, 07:02 AM

Goy;

Point taken. But there is a difference between you taking the cart and then returning it....and the abandoned ones that litter and blight the neighborhoods. I believe this thread is about the latter.

Should we care? I don't need to, but I choose to. Just like I don't need to care about the city drain at the end of my street, but I do clear it after I shovel my own driveway out after a storm.

Yes, I am grateful that Quincy has a relatively low crime rates and that the people are nice. In many ways, it's miles ahead of other peer cities. But that's not the point.

And I don't think of Quincy as "suburbia"...it's too densely populated. Not quite like Cambridge, but getting there.

Last edited by pennyone; 08-24-2013 at 07:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or