U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 04:25 PM

2,051 posts, read 3,466,983 times

Advertisements

I've lived in North Quincy for almost nine years now, and am tired of seeing abandoned supermarket carts here and there. No, not an epidemic, but noticeable at times.

I've reported this to the stores they're from. I feel I should get some sort of small gift card for locating these nuisances, but whatever...

I'm often told that the carriages can't go beyond an invisible line near the store's premises; yes, I realize this is probably true at most stores over the last decade. And 60 Minutes or a similar show addressed this on a segment years go. The carriages cost the store hundreds of dollars to replace, no?

But how are they getting these blight full annoyances into the neighborhoods In the first place? Lifting or throwing them over the invisible line, and somehow not setting off the sensor which locks and disables the baskets?

One pharmacy manager showed me the tall poles attaced to their baskets, preventing this problem, yet I told them I just saw an elderly man pushing their carriage beyond the lot. Those polls don't even allow one to conclude shopping into the lot; I guess it's just for inside the store.

And when I've mentioned a problem with two or three of their carriages left together on my street, I'm thanked, but they're still there days later!

I thought I had heard the city of Quincy can fine the stores for abadoned carriages. After all, does anybody really think it improves the ambiance of a community? Why plant flower beds in a city if shopping carts are pushed into them?

Years ago, my brother lived in a working-class pocket of desirable Newton, on the Watertown line. You should have seen all the baskets in the neighborhood. White Trash Central.

Don't worry, just accept it as part of the fabric of urban life? I shoul just be thankful I'm not complaining about violence?

I saw two Chinese women push a Hannaford carriage, then abandon it in an Applebee's lot, probably a mile from the store in Quincy. Then, they grabbed their small amount of groceries and dispersed into separate corners of the area. It's not as if they had lots of groceries or a toddlers to grapple with.

Would you have said something to them, assuming they understand English? Of course, it's not just immigrants who do this, but natives also.

Just too much time on my hands to even notice?

Wow, can't brliee I wrote all this...about shopping carts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 04:51 PM

3,586 posts, read 3,672,833 times
It always boggles my mind when I see people walking up the street with a cart full of groceries away from the supermarket. If you don't have a car to get to/from the store, you can easily buy your own rolling basket that can hold a good amount of food to roll to/from the market.

It drives me crazy too when I see them in odd places.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:04 PM

4,250 posts, read 3,320,754 times
Amen to all that you have said. But instead of complaining here, this is what I have done, and with good effect...

1) I use the "Constituent Service" on the Quincy city site and place a notice for abandoned cart...

2) I have the number of Stop & Shop on Newport Ave on my speed-dial, and when I see one on my drive through town, I call the manager and report it. I also continue to demand that they install locks on those things, and big signs telling people in different languages that the act of removal is a crime of theft. If enough people do this, perhaps the management will get sick and do something real.

3) Demand the store, if they do not have the lock mechanism, to hire a good cart recovery service that drives around the immediate area in the early morning to pick these carts up. If one is missed, call the store directly and report it. S & S is pretty good abot making sure that their recovery service does its job.

It takes time, but if enough people in the area do this, the stores will wise up. I have also stopped people who take carts and told them that doing so is a crime. When they are told this, they are shocked and immediately apologize and return the carts back to the parking lot. The fact is that we complain to much without doing anything really concrete.

I dont think many of these people understand that it is not right to steal the market carts. If no one call them on it, then they think it's fine. When one does it, the next copies the behavior.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:41 AM

2,545 posts, read 4,860,241 times

Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 PM

5,945 posts, read 6,757,702 times
hilarious

Old 08-05-2013, 12:40 PM

270 posts, read 375,865 times
I didn't know there are so many George Zimmerman in Massachusetts.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:43 PM

2,051 posts, read 3,466,983 times
cliff: that photo caption was good for a late afternoon chuckle...

Penny: glad to see you're so informed and active on this issue. I truly feel like a busybody at times, and expect people to simply roll their eyes and chuckle...

Tam: thanks for the sympathy.

I'll ask (again) at the customer service desks at the local markets and try to sense if they really take this seriously. Or, perhaps each urban store realizes it's a cost of doing business, and only passively tries to minimize this. Perhaps the store managers don't live in the respective town, so it doesn't bother them. But how'd they like to have weekend guests pull into their driveway -- after weaving around shopping carts. How would a real estate agent feel, if while driving a client to a viewing, to see carriages scattered along the route?

To some people, they don't notice or care. So many more important things to worry about, as always. But that rebuttal can be used for nearly any local issue...and before you know it, you're living in Lynn or Brockton.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:56 PM

4,250 posts, read 3,320,754 times
I think it's everyone's responsibility to take care of one's town/city and neighborhood. The carriage thing is pretty easy to deal with because the store has an inherent interest....just remind them that a carriage left in the middle of the road will become their legal liability if they do not try to remove it, and someone drives right into it and causes an accident. I have had managers rush out themselves in their own cars to remove a carriage in that kind of a situation. My neighborhood, Wollaston Hill has no such issue because it is far from a retail store/market, and it's nearly impossible for a regular person to push that carriage up a severe incline. But I still try to call to report them when I drive through certain parts of Quincy. It's not a huge issue because on any given day, there are only a few that I see, and they are usually in areas immediately near the supermarkets. We are not talking about a big deal here, though it is annoying.

Also, it takes less than a minute to call, or place a constituent service note in the city's site. If you don't even care enough to do that, then you deserve to live in Brockton. We are all busy, so it has nothing to do with being a busybody. It's just whether you care or not. I happen to care a lot about the city that I live in.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:13 PM

289 posts, read 448,126 times
Slightly off-topic, but I've almost broken an arm multiple times when I push a locked cart that the stores appear to just bring back into the lot but not unlock. A strong motion on an immovable object hurts.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:26 PM

10,725 posts, read 19,082,110 times
Our local supermarket (Harris Teeter) installed sensor things so they can't go out of the shopping center!! YAY!! I wish ALL stores would do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or