U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 03:06 PM

3,600 posts, read 3,684,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
One can easily find places in SF serving <$15 entrees that serve better food than Boston's most hghly regarded restaurants restaurants (menton, neptunes oysters, etc)
One can easily find places in Burlington, Vermont, or Boise, Idaho, or any town USA serving cheap entrees that serve better food than San Francisco's most highly regarded restaurants, what's your point?

This thread is not about Boston vs. San Francisco, why come in here and try and turn it into that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 01:26 AM

182 posts, read 233,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
One can easily find places in Burlington, Vermont, or Boise, Idaho, or any town USA serving cheap entrees that serve better food than San Francisco's most highly regarded restaurants, what's your point?
Nope. SF is universally regarded as one of he best, if not he best food city in the world.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:32 AM

122 posts, read 204,698 times
I love Boston but travel all over -- I'm spent this week in London and Paris -- and don't find Boston to be a great food city. There were almost no good restaurants in Boston 25 years ago. Now there are some. SF is a great food city, though I think NY is clearly superior in terms of quality and variety and Paris has much less variety but so many restaurants of such high quality, but there are as Oistrakh says, good inexpensive restaurants in SF (don't know that there are so many, but I've never lived in SF proper but am giving some thought to buying a house in Berkeley at some point). When I lived in NY, I used to frequent great, inexpensive restaurants. Boston doesn't really have them. But, so what. Boston's food scene is generally improving -- not by nearly as much as London's has -- but it is pretty good. I eat out less in Boston -- I like to stay at home when I'm home and my wife is an excellent cook (I just told her about the creme brulee with black sesame seeds I had last night in Paris and she's going to try to figure out how to make something like that.) The good news and the only thing this thread was intended to focus on is that things in Boston have markedly improved.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:03 AM

32,850 posts, read 22,827,492 times
Quote:
Nope. SF is universally regarded as one of he best, if not he best food city in the world.
Having lived there for over a year (Inner Richmond district) and eating out most of the time, it is good in some respects, but not mind blowing. The Asian (including Burmese) and Tex-Mex food was fantastic. Lots of eh places though.

But I'd agree Boston isn't a great food city. I have found pretty great eats in Burlington VT and Boise ID on the cheap though. It is getting better though since the 80s.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:18 PM

1,864 posts, read 1,967,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
He should try coming to Providence, there are so many incredible restaurants there, on Federal Hill there's one after another. Providence,RI is to restaurants, is what Switzerland is to banks.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:16 PM

40 posts, read 79,857 times
Quote:
I find the restaurant scene here very limited. In SF, there are tons of inexpensive yet great independent restaurants in literally every neighborhood and block , including downtown. I was blown away by the sheer number of ethnic foods as well as the reasonable prices. There are also tons of breakfast and donut places. You can get a great dinner for ten to fifteen bucks anywhere in the city (for dinner). The differences between SF and Boston are so stark. There are also tons of great Mexican, Indonesian, and Filipino restaurants, none of which Boston has!!
I agree with the highlighted piece... where the heck do I get a donut in the morning in Boston?
I had to walk a whole 2 blocks once between donut places.

Or are these "magical gourmet donuts" that New Englanders just "wouldn't get man".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston