U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 09:46 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,474,388 times

Advertisements

Talk to a librarian or two at the Lower Mills and Adams branches. See what kind of activities or book clubs they offer (maybe not many as they're smallish). Ask about their knowledge of major problems.

Check past issues of the Dorchester Reporter weekly. Not sure if it's also online...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 04:26 AM

315 posts, read 508,970 times
There are online maps of major crime incidents that have occurred in Boston neighborhoods easily found via search engine. Check these out for unbiased raw data.

That said, I don't live in Dorchester, but I've spent lots of time there due to work, and I have a number of friends who live there. I really like the neighborhood, but I am also aware of some of the things that have happened there. Since the OP mentioned a desire to be less car-dependent, it's worth pointing out that there have been some serious incidents that have occurred near the T stations with pretty decent regularity. Even Shawmut, which is in a beautiful neighborhood tucked off Dot Ave, has had its share of problems - two coworkers of mine used to live on Nixon Street right beside the station and told me of a mugging that they witnessed, and I've heard of other more high-profile incidents around there as well. In any event, I'm not condemning Dorchester at all. I'm just saying that it's worth knowing that there have been issues in some spots and to be very careful. Honestly, this advice could be applied to lots of places, but we all know that common sense isn't always so common.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:32 AM

10,973 posts, read 7,750,691 times
Professor, your font is annoying.

Anyway, the only thing bad about Pope's Hill is that it is a little scary driving down the steep streets in winter. But the city does an excellent job salting the roads. You'll certainly get your exercise.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:17 PM

4 posts, read 6,114 times
We've walked around Pope's Hill a little more and are really starting to like it. And the Dot2Dot cafe is fantastic!

It does seem underserved by public transit, but I think Adams Village and Lower Mills will be easily bikeable. Although I'm starting to wonder why there isn't a Red Line T stop behind Pope's Hill, near the shore, before the line gets down to Quincy. It would be great to have a stop at Tenean Beach or Boston Bowl... there are two hotels and multiple Dunkin Donuts there already!

Old 08-17-2013, 07:37 AM

10,973 posts, read 7,750,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxieInBoston View Post
We've walked around Pope's Hill a little more and are really starting to like it. And the Dot2Dot cafe is fantastic!

It does seem underserved by public transit, but I think Adams Village and Lower Mills will be easily bikeable. Although I'm starting to wonder why there isn't a Red Line T stop behind Pope's Hill, near the shore, before the line gets down to Quincy. It would be great to have a stop at Tenean Beach or Boston Bowl... there are two hotels and multiple Dunkin Donuts there already!
That would make too much sense. We're talking about The MBTA here.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:49 PM

315 posts, read 508,970 times
The idea of having additional stations on the long stretch between JFK/UMass and North Quincy got my curiosity going, so I did a bit of research. Apparently there were a few stations on an old line serving this part of Dorchester which were removed, and some remnants of these stations may still be visible, though I've never noticed them. The next time I am heading down that way, I'll have a look. In case anyone else is curious about this, look up the lost stations of the Old Colony line for more info - there seems to be a bit out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or