Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:03 PM

3 posts, read 54,078 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My husband and I are relocating from Detroit to Boston and we've settled on a great condo in South Boston. It's located on E street between 7th and W Broadway.

However, I'm starting to get a little worried. I just saw on the news that a woman was murdered a few blocks down the other day, and I've been hearing mixed reviews regarding the safety of the neighborhood. Can those who know the area well answer the following questions:

1. Will it be safe for me to walk from the Broadway T to home at night?
2. Is it safe to go out for dinner/drinks at night and then walk home after?
3. How much crime (robberies, drug-related) occurs in that area?

Thank you all in advance for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 07:57 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,110,810 times
I've lived in Southie for years, and find it plenty safe. Granted I'm a male, but there are plenty of single females living in the neighborhood, walking to and from the T, out running, etc. I'd have no problem recommending the neighborhood to a female.

Homicides are rare in Southie. I believe the one you're referring to was down in Andrew Sq.

The area you're moving to is fine. I have a couple friends (one is female)around the corner from you on W 5th. I wouldn't recommend walking through the D St projects late at night, but you should have no problem walking from the T down Broadway at night. There is actually a Boston neighborhood police station right there on Broadway. Just use common sense as you would in any urban environment, and you'll be fine.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:56 PM

546 posts, read 1,376,781 times
I believe that you folks have made a good and safe choice in Condos. That area is safe.

Note that you will see me eating hot dogs after a good healthy walk around Castle Island.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:27 PM

56 posts, read 285,233 times
There was a stabbing on Monday morning on E 7th that left a grandmother dead - honestly, not really sure what the deal was there. Seems like an isolated incident. I live over that way, closer to the Old Colony projects and have never felt unsafe. I've stumbled home from the bars at all hours of the night and never been harassed or bothered in the least. (I'm a 5'1" female.)

If you go looking for trouble, I'm sure it can be found anywhere, but I see mostly young professionals/students/families in Southie. Some of the Southie lifers can be real jerks, but I just try to be nice and go about my day. I think it sounds like a great location and you'll enjoy your time in Southie!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:24 AM

3 posts, read 54,078 times
Thanks everyone for your feedback, I feel much better now. Maybe I will be running into some of you soon!

Old 07-27-2013, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 18,877 times
I have lived here 9 years and come home all hours of the night. I have never felt unsafe. I am 5'7" 44 year old female. It's the city so you should always be careful but this is a great neighborhood. It is very sad to have had such a terrible tragedy happen recently.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:35 PM

546 posts, read 1,376,781 times
Glad you are safe and it is a tragedy what happened. Police will get this person and get him off the streets.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:01 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,434,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton887 View Post
If you go looking for trouble, I'm sure it can be found anywhere, but I see mostly young professionals/students/families in Southie. Some of the Southie lifers can be real jerks, but I just try to be nice and go about my day. I think it sounds like a great location and you'll enjoy your time in Southie!
So which is it? Is Southie nothing but professionals, or is Southie still populated by "Whitey Bulger" types? Can Black people walk in your neighborhood without incident?

Old 07-28-2013, 12:51 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,110,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Can Black people walk in your neighborhood without incident?
No. If you're not white, wearing a Bird throwback jersey, and have 6 friends named 'Murph', there will be an incident.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:12 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
To the OP: Just use your commonsense. It's the city. So don't look like a good victim. If you are coming home late at night by yourself, wear practical shoes so you can run and don't have an expensive looking shoulder bag that can be snatched. Wear a shrill whistle around your neck. Walk confidently and walk in the streetlights' glow. If you see other people walking on the sidewalk going your way, stay near them. If you feel uncomfortable or threatened, have your husband meet you at the T stop until you get to know the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston