U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:05 AM

5,053 posts, read 4,864,243 times

Advertisements

Depending on where you live, you may have to rent a spot for the car (and then there is of course the insurance and other costs like excise tax).

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 07:59 PM

450 posts, read 464,568 times
The harm in having a car, even if it's paid off, is the over 150/month you'll pay to park it. And that's on the low end.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:06 AM

315 posts, read 509,239 times
Best of luck with everything. If you want to do this, you should go for it. I agree with much of the other posters' advice, particularly around having somewhat of a plan for your work/career.

I would say that you should keep an open mind about having/not having a car when you're up here. Parking and insurance fees could be a deal-breaker for you, as could dealing with things like street-cleaning and other parking regulations. It really is pretty easy to get around without wheels for the most part, and it could save you a huge chunk of change until you get yourself into a more secure long-term financial situation.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:59 AM

49 posts, read 51,630 times
Boston is a huge change of pace from Florida. If you truly are sick of where you are, I'd make the move. Make sure you have a solid amount saved up as well as a job lined up. Cost of living is very high up here.

I, personally am in the same boat as you, where I am sick of where I am. I've worked in Boston and it is all about competition. People tend to fend for themselves and are inconsiderate of others. I worked in Southie and Downtown crossing. Same type of judgmental people.

Before making the move, consider both what you are giving up and what you are searching for. Truth is, routine gets old and I can see where you're coming from. Just be sure your motive for moving is appropriate.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:20 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,225,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY_MIKEY View Post
I am trying to get a start in a sales position/retail. I have applied online for a few positions at Guitar Center in Boston. I would love to be able to make a living one day as a guitar player but in the real world you don't just wake up one morning and pay the bills with a guitar. So... Keeping that in mind I want to have a steady job as a sales or retail person all the while pursueing a music career.
Retail jobs usually involve working odd hours and generally don't pay well; most are part time but they expect you to be available to work on short notice, which makes it hard to schedule outside activities.

Quote:
Also the second car won't be coming with. And I see no harm in having one paid off car even if its out of use for the most part.
The harm is insurance, taxes and maintenance- this is not a trivial cost. There's also the issue with having to move your car around for street cleaning (or snow!) in neighborhoods where parking is scarce. You also have to worry about someone hitting your car while it's parked and driving off like nothing happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or