Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 01:21 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,808,487 times

Advertisements

Tough call. I would probably need to re-evaluate my plans. It's kinda tough to seek employment almost 400 miles away at what i still consider 'an entry level position'. I guess we have a competitive advantage here due to the fact that nearly 75% of department of defense spending occurs right in Northern VA. As a matter of fact, there is a saying that, "if you can't get hired here...you can't get hired nowhere" I don't know what the nature of business around Boston is but this is like the central accounting & finance location for all the A&F professionals in the entire nation. I really did want to get a feel for other metro locations, preferably Boston, but it seems not to an easy transitional process. I'll probably research more on opportunities up there....b/c the last thing i need is to pull a major career bust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 11:25 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,019 times
Boston is VERY saturated with overly qualified people willing to work for 40K. I have found this to be difficult. if you choose to live approx 15 miles outside of the city this would put you rightaround the 128 loop, and 1200/month is realistic. If you work in the city, however, do expect to pay 300-400 per month to park for monthly passes. If you pay daily it usually runs about $35+ per work day. Parking at an apartment 15 miles out of the city should have parking on-site without much, if any, extra cost. The closer you get to the city, the more this will change. In the city, expect to pay top dollar. I live in thecity and use the suway and zip car. Good luck.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
Boston is VERY saturated with overly qualified people willing to work for 40K. I have found this to be difficult. if you choose to live approx 15 miles outside of the city this would put you rightaround the 128 loop, and 1200/month is realistic. If you work in the city, however, do expect to pay 300-400 per month to park for monthly passes. If you pay daily it usually runs about $35+ per work day. Parking at an apartment 15 miles out of the city should have parking on-site without much, if any, extra cost. The closer you get to the city, the more this will change. In the city, expect to pay top dollar. I live in thecity and use the suway and zip car. Good luck.

I guess DC Metro is cheaper and offers plenty of opportunities as opposed to Boston....plus not so cold winters. $ 40K....over here, you can't even hire a COLLEGE GRAD with that kind of money in the speciality of Accounting and Finance. $ 40K is more like HS diploma with a couple of yrs of experience (3 at most). Hail to the Redskins!

Old 11-14-2007, 01:09 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,822 times
I have friends that took jobs in Boston starting at around $30k for finance-type jobs. I have no idea how they survived and took jobs in an expensive city like Boston for $30K.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I have friends that took jobs in Boston starting at around $30k for finance-type jobs. I have no idea how they survived and took jobs in an expensive city like Boston for $30K.
Financial Services or Finance? That's like $ 13/hr. If that's the case then Boston is a wrong place to be professionally. As far as I know, one can start @ home depot and expect to be paid around between $ 12 and $ 15. There is possibly too many over qualified individuals in Boston. Waaay too many!

Old 11-14-2007, 03:15 PM

385 posts, read 1,454,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
A lot of people live with roommates--that's what I do. That way you can pay $600 or $700 and still live in the city. I do know people who make in the $30s and live without roomies, but they're basically dropping half their take-home pay on rent.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:53 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,822 times
Not sure exactly what the job consisted of, but I know a lot of college graduates take these jobs to be in Boston. Most of them that same job as soon as they could get one better. Also, their parents helped many of them out with money issues.

I think Boston is a combination of lots of college graduates and not even jobs for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: