U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 03:02 PM

9 posts, read 9,104 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a move to Boston in the near future. I've visited a handful of times and I really like Boston. However, I know it is different when you actually live there. I'm originally from Nashville. I would love to know if anyone who has lived in (or even visited) Nashville and then moved to Boston. What do you love about Boston? Was it a huge change? What things are similar? I've always thought of Boston as a big city with a smaller feel to it. Is that true for those who live there? Anything else you think I should know, I would love to hear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 05:02 PM

2,050 posts, read 3,462,411 times
My sister-in-law is from the Boston area and lived with my brother and their kids in Nashville for about seven years. They lived in Williamson County and really seemed to like it.

I feel that a Nashville accent may attract too much attention or curiosity here and in New England. I just think so. Not sure if all from there have strong accents, though.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:04 AM

538 posts, read 1,042,545 times
raya03, I do hope that we are good to you. Boston has become a friendlier and safer city in my thinking over the recent years. Our weather will be on the drier side and our winters a bit snowier than you are used to. I find most cities to be cities with some variables. Our traffic will not impress you as we can change a tire going 30 miles an hour and rush hour can be tough if you are on a time thing. Our eateries are as good and varied as anywhere. I am a big fan of Dim Sum style of Chineese. (YUM) our pizza ranks with the best of them.

If I had my way, there would be a sign that states

"Welcome to Boston, you are a stranger here but once"

Old 08-19-2013, 06:04 AM

444 posts, read 460,411 times
I recently moved from Memphis to Boston. I never visited Nashville, but one thing I suspect you'll find very different is that people don't acknowledge each other when walking down the street. In Memphis, I would almost always receive or give a greeting to someone if I passed them while walking. Here, that doesn't happen. I also don't really have conversations with the check-out people at the grocery store, something that was really common in Memphis.

Cost of living is also much higher, sales tax is lower (6.25%, none on groceries or clothing), and there is a state income tax.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:09 AM

49 posts, read 51,499 times
Didn't live in Nashville, but I live in MA and have worked in Boston. It will be a huge change of pace for you. People are also less friendly than in the South. I recommend renting for 6 months to see if the change is worth it.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:44 PM

10,287 posts, read 12,404,411 times
I haven't done what you describe, but I would move ASAP out of Nashville to Boston.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:45 AM

9 posts, read 9,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I haven't done what you describe, but I would move ASAP out of Nashville to Boston.
Haha, why is that?

Thanks to everyone else for your advice!

Old 08-31-2013, 10:08 AM

4,743 posts, read 8,439,376 times
raya03 - I moved from Alabama to Boston during my 'moving around' phase in life. I lived in Boston for 2 years at Longfellow Towers in the West End and worked in Lexington. I have since moved back home. PS I have visited Nashville.

I knew that I would only be in Boston for a couple of years so I packed as much life into those years as I possibly could. I loved the history and architecture of Boston, plus being able to explore some of the rest of New England. I met and dated a few great people while in Boston, including a girl who lived next to Paul Revere's house! I took classes at Harvard. Cape Cod is closer than the Gulf.

The biggest change for me was the cost and the cold and the rude people and the dirtiness. My job offered more money but the cost-of-living difference ate it up. Having to pay for a parking place at the apartment was a surprise. I had to buy a warm winter coat and gloves and scarf and I still froze; summer lasted maybe a month - there was still unmelted snow piled up in parking lots in June. Opening doors for people is normal in the South - I got cursed at for doing that in Boston. The first rat I ever saw was in Boston.

I'm happy that I got to live there and experience a different culture. Boston is one of my favorite cities and I have some wonderful memories of my time there.

Things to know:
Coke is called tonic (on the North Shore).
The water at Cape Cod is cold.
Maine is beautiful.
Harvard Extension provides great value.
Traffic is terrible - even with a reverse commute it took me over an hour to go 13 miles.
Living in the city meant that I was probably already parked as close as I could be to anything (so walk / subway / cab).
The 2nd Amendment is not respected in Massachusetts.

Let's hope you meet more people like 'Bob Lanata' and fewer people like 'Vlajos'.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:23 PM

6,980 posts, read 6,700,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
The biggest change for me was the cost and the cold and the rude people and the dirtiness..
NEers are by nature more reserved/"down to business" and less likely to engage in small talk. Some from elsewhere take offense to that, but it is what it is. Take it or leave it, no one is forced to move here or stay put. Yes, the cost of living is ridiculous. The city can be dirty, but Nashville doesn't win any cleanliness rewards either especially outside the tourist areas. Memphis is certainly dirtier than Boston.

Quote:
My job offered more money but the cost-of-living difference ate it up. Having to pay for a parking place at the apartment was a surprise...
Pretty common in the downtown, more crowded areas of Boston. If you must live downtown, do expect it. Otherwise, you'd be better off in the outer neighborhoods or the suburbs. Keep in mind that Boston is much smaller in area than Nashville, so if you live in a neighboring city like Quincy you are still only 10 or so miles from DT Boston (and with just as much convenience to everything).

Quote:
summer lasted maybe a month - there was still unmelted snow piled up in parking lots in June.
Don't recall leftover snow in June EVER, it's certainly not the norm. Summer generally last 3 months from usually mid-June through early September. Fall is beautiful, winter is cold. Spring is the season you sometimes miss, sometimes it goes right from winter to summer. But the weather has been pretty screwed up the last few years, so be ready for anything (snow in October but none all winter, 85 degrees in April, 65 and rainy in July).

Quote:
Opening doors for people is normal in the South - I got cursed at for doing that in Boston.
It's not entirely out of the ordinary here too. I've been doing it my entire life and surprisingly have never been cursed at for it. Here I feel some hot air brewing.

Quote:
Things to know:
Coke is called tonic (on the North Shore). yes, but that's a dying quirk
The water at Cape Cod is cold. some areas are colder than others, the south facing beaches in August/earl September are very pleasant
Maine is beautiful. yes
Harvard Extension provides great value. you say so
Traffic is terrible - even with a reverse commute it took me over an hour to go 13 miles. yes, but can be better if you know the back roads (depending on where you are going to/from)
Living in the city meant that I was probably already parked as close as I could be to anything (so walk / subway / cab). a plus, but like you said the trade off is money to park
The 2nd Amendment is not respected in Massachusetts. it varies greatly by city and town. Boston is very restrictive, but less so most other places. In my town for example I have never had an issue as a gun owner (as of now anyway). This map breaks it down: http://www.hubflyer.com/wp-content/u...itytowngun.png Green is good, red is bad.
my comments posted in red.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:07 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,745,949 times
My transplanted Southern friends fall into two buckets, the ones who hated everything about the South who end up staying in Boston and the ones who love everything about back home, who never stay more than five years and end up going back to where they came or a different Southern city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or