Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:37 PM

4 posts, read 5,895 times

Advertisements

Ok so heres the thing... I've lived in small town North Florida for all 19 years of my life. Everyone here all knows each other and goes to the same big church and I'm just sick of it all. I vacationed to Boston this February and just fell in love with the place. For months now I've been trying to save up/line things up to move there. After getting about 1 reply per 20 potential roommates I've contacted and losing hope a couple hundred times, I am starting to wonder how bad it could be to just load up and move with nothing lined up. In a pinch I think most anybody could land a temporary job at McDonalds or one of the 600+ Dunkin' Donuts locations in Boston. My financial situation at the moment is about $2000 saved up, a nice 2005 pick up truck (I bought it in cash) and I owe $3000 on a Honda Civic. My possessions include, 1 king bed, washer and drier, a tall dresser, and a rather cumbersome and valuable guitar rig. I would imagine that would all fit in a pretty small uHaul trailer.

Anyways, what is the worst that could happen? I would rather be broke in Boston, MA than filthy rich in Craphole, FL.

Also any tips on getting cheap housing in Boston? I have really low standards but I want to be within a short drive (15 minutes or less) of the city. I've pretty much ruled out living alone becuase I am used to paying $650 for a 3 bedroom house in FL and am not stable enough to shell out $1200 for a Boston studio. Also last time I checked I have no (0, zip, nothing, nada) credit which never helps anything at all.

Any advice helps. Please let me know if there is something I am forgetting.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 02:48 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I up and moved to Boston last year so it definitely can be done...though I did have a job lined up before I moved.

My advice (and it's sketchy at best) is look on craigslist and see if you can find a summer sublet to rent for a month or two while scouting other locations. I found that the vast majority of potential roommates won't return emails/calls from out of towners, so even having a temp address and living in the area will make it MUCH easier. Plus, you'll be able to wander around and get a feel for the different areas before signing a lease or agreement. It worked for me as I rented a room for a month and easily found a new place within 2 weeks of being there. Considering there are a lot of college students out of the area right now for summer break, finding a sublet may not be that difficult.

I have no opinions regarding driving since I sold my car before I moved out here and find being without a car is very easy. I drive with friends here and there and all I ever hear is complaints about never being able to find parking, how expensive parking is, how difficult it is driving in the city etc etc. When I meet the guy I'm seeing I take the train as far out of town as possible and he picks me up there because he hates driving in the city so much. Just a consideration.

Honestly, I would try to find a furnished sublet, put your stuff in a 'pod' storage unit and just have it delivered once you find a more stable place. I moved over here with 3 suitcases and nothing else and found it super easy to find a furnished sublet, and a furnished room in an apartment. It may be worth it to sell most of your stuff.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me... I've only lived in the city for a bit less than a year but I may be able to answer some of your questions since I moved over from CA

Old 08-11-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I up and moved to Boston last year so it definitely can be done...though I did have a job lined up before I moved.

My advice (and it's sketchy at best) is look on craigslist and see if you can find a summer sublet to rent for a month or two while scouting other locations. I found that the vast majority of potential roommates won't return emails/calls from out of towners, so even having a temp address and living in the area will make it MUCH easier. Plus, you'll be able to wander around and get a feel for the different areas before signing a lease or agreement. It worked for me as I rented a room for a month and easily found a new place within 2 weeks of being there. Considering there are a lot of college students out of the area right now for summer break, finding a sublet may not be that difficult.

I have no opinions regarding driving since I sold my car before I moved out here and find being without a car is very easy. I drive with friends here and there and all I ever hear is complaints about never being able to find parking, how expensive parking is, how difficult it is driving in the city etc etc. When I meet the guy I'm seeing I take the train as far out of town as possible and he picks me up there because he hates driving in the city so much. Just a consideration.

Honestly, I would try to find a furnished sublet, put your stuff in a 'pod' storage unit and just have it delivered once you find a more stable place. I moved over here with 3 suitcases and nothing else and found it super easy to find a furnished sublet, and a furnished room in an apartment. It may be worth it to sell most of your stuff.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me... I've only lived in the city for a bit less than a year but I may be able to answer some of your questions since I moved over from CA
Very good points. (Sorry not sure how to PM) How much would a POD cost for a month? Also I've posted about everything on craigslist for sale (not much luck yet.) I'm not going to sell my guitars. Honestly I'd sell my left kidney before I sell my axes. And beds and washers don't sell very fast. I'm desperate at this point because I need to be out of my house by Sept 1st and I really don't want to sign up another month in this town I've definitely seen alot of sublet type things on craigslist I'll look into some of those a little more.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:07 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
But won't almost ALL roomie situations ( and of course apts.) expect to see a credit report and/or see an employer on your application?

That's what I found on Chicago's CL last year; even many rooming houses and similar demanded one or both...
Even the YMCA in suburban Chicago demands a certain income when applying.

However, I was surprised to see the other poster describe their ease in landing a sublet. Hmm...

Brookside House lodging in Quincy isn't bad when I drive by and I met someone who stayed there briefly when apt. searching. So perhaps they don't demand the above... Often posts on CL.

Credit: perhaps retail stores and gasoline stations are still relatively easy to get when starting with no credit. But it seems credit will be essential as you settle long-term in Boston or anywhere.

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 08-11-2013 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 08-11-2013, 05:40 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
The times were simpler, and not everything was the same, when I "up and moved" from a similar situation at the end of the '70s. But still. Go for it, my friend. JUST DO IT. Shoot first and ask questions later. If I could you can. (Add another cliché here lol.) Out of all my regrets in life transplanting here was never one of them. And I'd sure as sh-- regret if I hadn't made the move and stayed where I grew up.

Two grand should be an impressive sum of money, but it'll evaporate in this town in no time flat if you're not careful. Store your goods in a safe cheap place and make a quick recon trip up ahead of time. If Megabus isn't available where you are, you can hook up a ride online or even drive somebody's car north for them and get paid. (Sad to say, the days of traveling by thumb are long gone.) Bring one of your gi-tars, open its case in front of you in any number of conspicuous places, and you're guaranteed to earn your return ticket. (Being a musician will also stand you in good stead for this reason as long as the weather stays agreeable. When it's not you'll have to pay for a "busker's permit" to play in the subway.)

More music-oriented tips: The indie/punk scene (and it's huge) is centered around Allston. The retro-cool Silhouette Lounge, and Modern Diner even more so, are the favored places to hang between gigs and hangovers. Jazz "cats" find a warm welcome at Wally's, in the South End. Sally O'Brien's in Somerville is a major blues/bluegrass hangout with open-mic nights. R & B players have had a home for a long time at Cambridge's Cantab Lounge (the same can be said, oddly, for bluegrass pickers.) If real "roots" music is your deal you can do no wrong at the tiny Sandy's Music Store on Mass. Ave - open jam sessions weekly. Other good places for networking and enjoying local talent include Toad, in North Cambridge, and The Plough and Stars near Central Square. This list is far from complete but those bets are sure ones.

These kinds of threads always fill me with sympathy pangs and envy at the same time. "You only live once" is a worn-out thing to say but it's so true. I wish you all the best WHEN you get here. "If" shouldn't be in your thought process. Fate (some would say God) has its way of providing.

P.S. To send a direct message all you have to do is click on the screen name. A list will open and from there you'll know what to do.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:58 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
What exactly is your job skill set? Or what do you think that you'd like to do for a career?

I would have a good think about that first before moving anywhere. While there is plenty of work in Boston, our pace is very hectic and before you know it, the years have slipped by. You should have a basic career plan in your mind and also think about selling one of your motor vehicles. Parking is difficult in Boston. So why burden yourself with having two vehicles? That two parking spaces you'll need and two auto insurance premiums to pay.

And what's the deal with your "valuable guitar rig"? Are you an aspiring musician? And my concern with that is the possibility of it being stolen in Boston. Seeing as how you don't know anyone here and you don't know where you're going to be living or working. You might want to store that guitar equipment in a secure storage facility until you settle down and know the area.

If you're 19 years old, do you have any plans for college?

Also, working at McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts isn't a living wage in the Boston area.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:39 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY_MIKEY View Post
Very good points. (Sorry not sure how to PM) How much would a POD cost for a month? Also I've posted about everything on craigslist for sale (not much luck yet.) I'm not going to sell my guitars. Honestly I'd sell my left kidney before I sell my axes. And beds and washers don't sell very fast. I'm desperate at this point because I need to be out of my house by Sept 1st and I really don't want to sign up another month in this town I've definitely seen alot of sublet type things on craigslist I'll look into some of those a little more.
I have no idea what a pod would cost..you'd have to call on that.

I left a few guitars in CA and don't plan on having them shipped over here anytime soon, but eventually I'll get around to it. You may have to make the decision between your instruments and getting out of your town..it's a tough one, but it may come down to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
But won't almost ALL roomie situations ( and of course apts.) expect to see a credit report and/or see an employer on your application?

That's what I found on Chicago's CL last year; even many rooming houses and similar demanded one or both...
Even the YMCA in suburban Chicago demands a certain income when applying.

However, I was surprised to see the other poster describe their ease in landing a sublet. Hmm...

Brookside House lodging in Quincy isn't bad when I drive by and I met someone who stayed there briefly when apt. searching. So perhaps they don't demand the above... Often posts on CL.

Credit: perhaps retail stores and gasoline stations are still relatively easy to get when starting with no credit. But it seems credit will be essential as you settle long-term in Boston or anywhere.
When I moved here the woman I moved in with temporarily only asked for a reference...no credit check, no employment verification, nothing. She knew I was only going to be there a month and I handed her the cash when I showed up. Stayed my month, found a new place and moved.

Perhaps I just lucked out and hit at the right time (My sublet was for the month of Dec.). I have absolutely horrible credit right now (long story involving identity theft) and weirdly it hasn't been a problem to rent for me. Maybe I just make a good first impression.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What exactly is your job skill set? Or what do you think that you'd like to do for a career?

I would have a good think about that first before moving anywhere. While there is plenty of work in Boston, our pace is very hectic and before you know it, the years have slipped by. You should have a basic career plan in your mind and also think about selling one of your motor vehicles. Parking is difficult in Boston. So why burden yourself with having two vehicles? That two parking spaces you'll need and two auto insurance premiums to pay.

And what's the deal with your "valuable guitar rig"? Are you an aspiring musician? And my concern with that is the possibility of it being stolen in Boston. Seeing as how you don't know anyone here and you don't know where you're going to be living or working. You might want to store that guitar equipment in a secure storage facility until you settle down and know the area.

If you're 19 years old, do you have any plans for college?

Also, working at McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts isn't a living wage in the Boston area.
I am trying to get a start in a sales position/retail. I have applied online for a few positions at Guitar Center in Boston. I would love to be able to make a living one day as a guitar player but in the real world you don't just wake up one morning and pay the bills with a guitar. So... Keeping that in mind I want to have a steady job as a sales or retail person all the while pursueing a music career.

Also the second car won't be coming with. And I see no harm in having one paid off car even if its out of use for the most part.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
The times were simpler, and not everything was the same, when I "up and moved" from a similar situation at the end of the '70s. But still. Go for it, my friend. JUST DO IT. Shoot first and ask questions later. If I could you can. (Add another cliché here lol.) Out of all my regrets in life transplanting here was never one of them. And I'd sure as sh-- regret if I hadn't made the move and stayed where I grew up.

These kinds of threads always fill me with sympathy pangs and envy at the same time. "You only live once" is a worn-out thing to say but it's so true. I wish you all the best WHEN you get here. "If" shouldn't be in your thought process. Fate (some would say God) has its way of providing.
I like your way of thinking! I seem to have the same kinda "shoot now ask questions later" mentallity and its paid off quite well actually. My vacation to Boston for example was a huge finacial mistake... But I had the best times of my entire life in those 5 days. And as far as I am concerned it was the best decision I've ever made. I don't see how ditching financial security and 1000 "friends" and family and moving 1200 miles away would be different.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:54 AM

643 posts, read 1,037,922 times
I think the POD company is expensive so I would shop around, including with U Pack/ABF. The other thing to consider if you are bringing a car, is that it may be difficult to have space to park a storage container as well. If you are going to be outside of Boston, then you will probably have better luck having more space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston