U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 06:08 PM

3,581 posts, read 3,664,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
The other thing to mention is driving in Boston is hell. It's renowned as one of the worst places to drive. It's even worse to park as you've already found. The street grid is spaghetti. Signage is awful. Stunt driving is applauded. Meter maids are relentless. Parking is bad to impossible and/or expensive. Insurance is 2K. You'll probably be towed twice before you can decipher the parking rules. Courtesy is for pansies.

I'd say ditch the car at first till you get an idea what goes on in the streets of the Hub. Once you see the spectacle, you'll prolly understand why so many Bostonians are car free.

Hahaa...meter maids are ruthless is a lot of cities. Not to nitpick, but I pay well less than $2k for my car insurance. I don't even pay $1500/year.

It all depends on which neighborhood you live in. Some are worse than others. Boston is a very dense and small city (physical size) so it comes with the territory that parking may be tough at times. But it's not impossible and if you learn/remember a few simple and obvious things you'll be ok. Some areas have bad signage so it's always smart to double check after you park for signs around your car for any special cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 10:40 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,528,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Hahaa...meter maids are ruthless is a lot of cities. Not to nitpick, but I pay well less than $2k for my car insurance. I don't even pay $1500/year.

It all depends on which neighborhood you live in. Some are worse than others. Boston is a very dense and small city (physical size) so it comes with the territory that parking may be tough at times. But it's not impossible and if you learn/remember a few simple and obvious things you'll be ok. Some areas have bad signage so it's always smart to double check after you park for signs around your car for any special cases.
I double parked to run into a 7-11 in Theater District for a coke. 2 minutes laters when I came out a had a ticket. I took the ticket off my car cursing my luck, and before I put my key in the ignition another meter maid showed up and started writing me a second ticket.

My insurance in 02120 was 2400. One block away - literally a stone's throw - in 02118 - the rate was $1800. We decided the rationale was since the average income in 20 was $40k while in 18 it was $300K, they would naturally give the rich a discount.

Signage? ever see that Tremont/Tremont sign just past the pike? How bout how every ten steps there's a different parking rule? Oh, and dontcha love when the college kids remove parking and traffic signs? ever wonder what happens to all those No Turn On Red signs? Go inside the NEU dorms and you'll find out! :-D

Old 08-26-2013, 05:57 PM

303 posts, read 402,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharencare View Post
Yeah, Boston is tow-happy. My father-in-law's rental car got towed the day before my wedding (which was located in the suburbs).

Snow emergencies actually are just when we get enough snow accumulation to warrant plowing, which happen maybe a dozen times a year. People who park on big roads have to move their cars so snow plows and emergency vehicles can get through easily.

There's a big farmer's market that happens in Copley (closer to Fenway) and another near South Station in downtown. They sell meat, fish, cheese, pasta, nuts, and vegetables. It can get expensive, so it's better to get a CSA (~$20 for a crate of vegetables). There's also several outdoor markets on different days of the week in various neighborhoods. I would say they run from late May to early November. There's some winter produce markets that move indoors, but I haven't tried those. We basically freeze our vegetables or get winter veggies, and we sometimes go into February without having to go to the supermarket. We save a lot of money this way because we aren't tempted to get the junk food in boxes. But there's only two of us, and we do eat out a few times a week.
CSAs are really big here in KY. I didn't know if Boston would have any, just because I suspected the growing season to be a lot shorter so I didn't know if there was enough demand for it. We'll definitely look into that for veggies. I totally freeze a lot too! Another two person household so there's always more than we can eat in the summer.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:32 PM

2,769 posts, read 2,209,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matryoshka4811 View Post
CSAs are really big here in KY. I didn't know if Boston would have any, just because I suspected the growing season to be a lot shorter so I didn't know if there was enough demand for it. We'll definitely look into that for veggies. I totally freeze a lot too! Another two person household so there's always more than we can eat in the summer.
I hope you like squash and kale.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:46 AM

40 posts, read 79,438 times
Quote:
Hey everyone!

So, the question above: Do you REALLY need a car in Boston? My partner and I have had one car between us for about five years. It's a 2007 Nissan Versa hatchback, owned and insured by me. We're pretty sure we'll be living in an apartment complex right next to the Fenway stop on the green T line. Parking for the building is (get this) $400 a MONTH! I love my little car but the Kelly Blue Book puts its worth at about $6800 to $7600 right now, which is worth about 19 months of parking. So, we're trying to decide whether or not to bring the car or sell it here in KY before coming to Boston in October.

So, what do you locals think? Do I need a car in Boston??

Thanks so much! Your advice is VERY VERY appreciated!!!
Unfortunately $400 in that area isn't as outrageous as it sounds. I mean, it's crazy but it's not the worst I've heard by far.
If you live in Fenway and work near the city then no, you don't need your car by any means. If you spend most of your time in and around the city, you'll probably use the T more anyway since it's more hassle to bring the car out into the city.

If you go out of town a lot of are used to the convenience of just getting in your car and going then of course it's an adjustment but to be honest, a large amount of the people living near any of the major T or transport routes don't drive.

There's always lots of Zipcars if you NEED a car for something. I own a car but have been contemplating this for a while.

Your other option is street parking. It can be a pain in some busier parts of town but it won't cost you an arm and a leg. That's how I get by. Private parking of any sort will always be crazy prices in the city.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:01 AM

5,016 posts, read 4,826,504 times
Quote:
I was wondering how bad driving would be. We got caught in probably the worst bottleneck ever on our way to the airport and I couldn't believe the way people were cutting our cab driver off! He said it was normal but it scared the crap out of me. I've never been in such aggressive driving before. It's a good idea to get rid of the car at first.
It's strange to me how people perpetuate the myth that driving in Boston is bad and how aggressive motorists are here. I think people for some reason just want to say that people are bad drivers so they can say they live in a place with bad drivers but driving here is not bad, IMO. ANd once you get a bit outside of Boston to the greater Boston areas (like the western burbs), drivers are downright curteous.

Sure there's the idiot 20 something who zips around dangerously but in general, it ain't bad. Try the NYC area if you want to see aggressive or NJ if you want obliviously entitled. I guess it's more about perspective though so it may seem more aggressive here for someone coming from Kentucky.

I say good luck to you here in Boston and again warn you against getting rid of your car before experiencing what it's like to live here (or anywhere) with or without one, especially if you've never lived car free. Many don't have cars here because they are students and limit what they do and where they go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or