U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,483 times

Advertisements

Hope it's ok to post this here...did a search but didn't find anything.

I'm moving (back) to Boston very soon and will be living in the South End at Shawmut/W Newton (1 bed for $1800/mo). Considering buying a car since I play a lot of hockey and need the car to get the rinks at MIT and BU. How is resident street parking around the area? I only have one data point -- the previous tenant said it was "not bad" but got worse when they were doing a lot of construction. Would anyone be able to advise how good parking is in the area? It would be much appreciated...

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 06:11 AM

865 posts, read 2,245,240 times
I lived in the South End for a year and a half, close to Berkeley and Tremont Streets. Parking wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but I almost always tried to park my car before 6pm each day. The other thing that is a bit of a pain is making sure to move your car for street cleaning days.

However, I imagine your hockey game times might mean you will be looking for parking later in the evenings, so it might be quite tough for you. It might be less stressful and more cost effective to take public transportation to your games, if that is an option.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:22 AM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,412,913 times
Wouldn't taking a taxi back and forth occasionally from those hockey rinks be much cheaper than buying a car and dealing with parking issues?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Wouldn't taking a taxi back and forth occasionally from those hockey rinks be much cheaper than buying a car and dealing with parking issues?
Don't think so -- I play like 4-5 times a week so it starts to add up a lot. There's Zipcar, which I did as a student, but then every time something comes up that you need a car you're worried about spending more $$. I'd usually be looking to park my car at 7.45 am -- after hockey. I'd think it'd be ok to find a spot at that time? Am I way off?

Old 08-28-2013, 11:15 AM

865 posts, read 2,245,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabram View Post
Don't think so -- I play like 4-5 times a week so it starts to add up a lot. There's Zipcar, which I did as a student, but then every time something comes up that you need a car you're worried about spending more $$. I'd usually be looking to park my car at 7.45 am -- after hockey. I'd think it'd be ok to find a spot at that time? Am I way off?
7:45am? Your games are in the morning? If so, then yes, you'd be fine.

Other things to keep in mind with owning a car are the insurance costs and excise tax.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:33 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabram View Post
And I think that you're wrong. Aside from the cost of the purchase of the car, there are so many other costs involved. Make a spreadsheet and don't forget the cost of the yearly excise tax, registration fees, insurance, gas and maintenance. And during snow emergencies you'll have to pay to put the car in a parking facility.

And how much are you planning to spend on a car?

Old 08-29-2013, 09:21 AM
miu

Using an online taxi rate calculator, I got $8 each way from your new place to MIT, and $17 each way to the BU hockey rink. And that's without tipping the cabbie. And maybe you could use a taxi just between your place and a T stop.

So I don't know how long your ice hockey playing season is and how often you practice at each location each week, but let's say that taxis could be around $80 to $100 a week, so $320 a month for what like 4 or 5 months out of the year? So between $1280 to $1600 for a whole year of taxi rides back and forth from MIT and BU. And that's much less than the cost of buying a car.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:09 AM

974 posts, read 1,261,955 times
Cost of car= $$$$
Insurance: $1100-2000 (for cheap car and brief driving record - you sound young)
Yearly excise tax = $$$$ per 1,000 value

Then calculate:
Gas: $3.80 per gallon 2 gallons per trip (1 gallon per day circling for parking)
Parking at facilities: $10 per game ( will need to keep rolls of quarters to feed the meters, too.)

Plus budget for:
Parking tickets: forgetting street cleaning x2= $90
Tow costs for street cleaning: $160 x 2=$360
Taxi fare to tow lots: $25x2= $50
Random parking tickets= $300

Taxis or even Sherpas would be cheaper. I've had a car in the South End for years and speak from (painful) experience. Even God gets Boston parking tickets- it's a fact of life no matter how diligent you are. You are legally required to move your car every 48 hours in the city. So if you go away for four days and someone puts up a moving sign during the winter (cause you are so conscious about I season street cleaning), you can (and will) be ticketed and towed - legally.

Plus, I have the highest insurance rating and still find insurance costs high.

Sure, it's convenient but there is a high cost to that convenience. Buyer beware.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:57 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,994,412 times
Even God gets Boston parking tickets

So funny!! Yeah, I hate Boston parking. I don't have any resident sticker, so that makes it even worse. I was parked (after circling for a long time) and before leaving the car, looked and looked to make sure it's a legit spot. Well, got a tix when I returned.... I missed a sign a couple yards away. Damn, it's so confusing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or