U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 12:08 PM

6 posts, read 10,496 times

Advertisements

I'm an RN, currently living in Greensboro NC. I'm getting to a point where I'm planning ahead (next 3-5 years max) and really thinking about going back North. I grew up in Vermont, went to school in Nashua and spent the last two years before moving South in Reading. I LOVED the Boston area, but it was too expensive and I couldn't find a job as a new grad-so I moved to NC. It's beautiful and I love my job, but the backwards thinking, racism, and hate that I see down here every day is getting to be too much... this isn't a place I want to raise children.
So, I have a few questions...
1) What can I expect to make as a Registered Nurse in a NICU in Boston (hopefully a major hospital, Boston Children's if I could choose my dream job). By the time I come home, I'll have ~5 years of experience. I currently make $22/hr plus shift diff. Not enough to afford rent in even a sketchy area. Which brings me to...

2) Housing. I'd love to be somewhere with an easy commute to Longwood, I wouldn't mind having to change trains, I've done it before (Sullivan to North Station for the E train) and it wasn't bad. Any particular areas to look into or avoid? I'll be in my mid-late 20s, so preferably not a huge college student area. Anything is going to be a shock as I pay about $600 for rent and utilities total right now. I'm willing to give up my car which would save some, but I may need a roommate (or 4!) to make it hurt a little less. Any suggestions for safe, nice places that aren't going to cost me a fortune? I refuse to spend $1500 for a studio, for example.

Anyone else in the same boat that might want a roomie? kidding...sort of
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 10:36 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
Parts of Charlestown are still relatively inexpensive, but you'd get more for your money by trying Everett or Malden. Thanks to the fairly frequent "CT-2" bus line to/from Sullivan it's relatively painless to get to the medical area from that vicinity now. The bus route does "snake around" a bit to make the loop from Sullivan to Ruggles, serving MIT and BU en route, but even during peak times the trip doesn't last much more than 20-30 minutes.

Looks like I'll have to be the one to break the news that Mission Hill has become the Allston of the 21st Century. Mushrooming student populations coupled with soaring rents closer into town brought this about. The two neighborhoods now vie for the larger number of drunken "falls and brawls," as well as fires caused by carelessness. The "Allston factor" also seems to be seeping westward these days. But the Oak Square section (northwestern-most part) of Brighton is still relatively quiet as well as inexpensive. I regularly recommend it for those reasons. And it's served by the very frequent 57 bus which runs all the way to Kenmore Square, whence you can connect to any of three routes for the quick last leg out Brookline Ave.

From my disinterested perspective it seems that nursing jobs around Boston are easy to come by. Hospitals don't normally shell out the bucks for ad posters on the subway unless they've gotten pret-ty desperate.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:41 PM

288 posts, read 488,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katierobin23 View Post
It's beautiful and I love my job, but the backwards thinking, racism, and hate that I see down here every day is getting to be too much... this isn't a place I want to raise children.
Wow. You're not the first person to remark about NC spiral downward on this forum. What's going on down there? is it the legislature? I hope it's not a day to day interactions

If it's any comfort, I have a friend who just moved to Brookline (along the D line). He has three other roommates, but I think he was able to rent out a room for $700-$800. So if you are ok with roommates, you can still live in a nice area without a car. I used to go to school in the Longwood area, so I think being on the E or D green line makes for a fairly easy commute. You can also take the orange line train and there are lots of bus lines that go through Ruggles and drop off near the Longwood area. The summer before everyone moves in September is the best time to find roommates though.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:50 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,209,426 times
Quote:

I would go as a traveler, especially since you don't want to pay a ton of money for an apartment.

Do a 13 week assignment, get free lodging and see if you like it. If you have NICU under your belt, you pretty much should be able to pick your hospital.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:03 PM

287 posts, read 351,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharencare View Post
Wow. You're not the first person to remark about NC spiral downward on this forum. What's going on down there? is it the legislature? I hope it's not a day to day interactions
for most I think it is probably the recent political happenings in NC. The political climate has definitely changed. I guess I probably shouldn't go into details in this thread, but if you are interested and search I'm sure you'll find some stuff.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:48 AM

7,323 posts, read 8,981,942 times
Quote:
I'm an RN, currently living in Greensboro NC. I'm getting to a point where I'm planning ahead (next 3-5 years max) and really thinking about going back North. I grew up in Vermont, went to school in Nashua and spent the last two years before moving South in Reading. I LOVED the Boston area, but it was too expensive and I couldn't find a job as a new grad-so I moved to NC. It's beautiful and I love my job, but the backwards thinking, racism, and hate that I see down here every day is getting to be too much... this isn't a place I want to raise children.
So, I have a few questions...
1) What can I expect to make as a Registered Nurse in a NICU in Boston (hopefully a major hospital, Boston Children's if I could choose my dream job). By the time I come home, I'll have ~5 years of experience. I currently make $22/hr plus shift diff. Not enough to afford rent in even a sketchy area. Which brings me to...

2) Housing. I'd love to be somewhere with an easy commute to Longwood, I wouldn't mind having to change trains, I've done it before (Sullivan to North Station for the E train) and it wasn't bad. Any particular areas to look into or avoid? I'll be in my mid-late 20s, so preferably not a huge college student area. Anything is going to be a shock as I pay about $600 for rent and utilities total right now. I'm willing to give up my car which would save some, but I may need a roommate (or 4!) to make it hurt a little less. Any suggestions for safe, nice places that aren't going to cost me a fortune? I refuse to spend $1500 for a studio, for example.

Your hourly rate will be a bit higher in the Boston area than North Carolina; don't give up hope on your own apartment just yet..

Communities like Malden ( Orange Line), Medford and Quincy( Red Line) will have somewhat lower housing costs; with perhaps one roommate, towns/cities like Newton ( and the Green Line) are in play; Brookline is quite expensive, but there would be the "walk-to-work" factor for Longwood, though, making a car unnecessary ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or