U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:09 AM

40 posts, read 171,957 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Los Angeles, and want to move to Boston to be closer to family. But I'm concerned about the cost of daycare...

We currently bring in about $66K a year, and I'm a full-time student. Could we afford daycare in Boston, and still be able to live in a safe neighborhood? ("Safe neighborhood" = not hearing gunshots at 2am, not having drug dealers hang out on your stoop, and being able to run out to the grocery store late at night without worrying about getting mugged.)

If not, how much would we need to be bringing in, in order to do those things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 05:28 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,252,467 times
What I can tell you is:

Avg daycare price in Boston Area= $2,000 per month and most visible ones (ie: in storefronts instead of homes) have waiting lists so get in line

Rent for a 1 bedroom in a safe area for a 1 bedroom = $1,400

2 bedroom = $1,800

Want to live in an area with a lot of other young families? Add $200-$300 per month to those prices above. Those rates are for student and immigrant, and working class type areas that are safe but expect broken glass and drunk people (students).

Old 08-30-2013, 05:29 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,252,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wants2MoveNOW View Post
My husband and I currently live in Los Angeles, and want to move to Boston to be closer to family. But I'm concerned about the cost of daycare...

We currently bring in about $66K a year, and I'm a full-time student. Could we afford daycare in Boston, and still be able to live in a safe neighborhood? ("Safe neighborhood" = not hearing gunshots at 2am, not having drug dealers hang out on your stoop, and being able to run out to the grocery store late at night without worrying about getting mugged.)

Also, grocery stores here aren't open past 10pm.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:21 PM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,418,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
The Stop n Shop on Watertown St. in Newton is open until 11pm six days a week. There are several large CVS pharmacies that are open 24 hours and have some basic staple groceries.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:57 PM

17 posts, read 28,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wants2MoveNOW View Post

Boston, IMO, is much better/easier than LA when it comes to daycare. What type of daycare (full-time or part-time, home daycare or more formal/structured, etc.) and where in Boston do you want to be? Is your kid potty trained? If you look, you can find great daycares for ~$1500/month. We're not talking 7am to 7pm but something more like 8 to 5 or 9 to 6. There are home daycares without all the bells and whistles but a caring environment nonetheless for something like $1200/month. You can certainly find safe 2br places for less than $2000/month and 1br for less than $1600. It might not be in the Back Bay with granite/stainless, but with some compromise (bit dated, further out, or not near a rail stop), you can find them.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:44 AM

417 posts, read 534,829 times
Quote:
What I can tell you is:

Avg daycare price in Boston Area= $2,000 per month and most visible ones (ie: in storefronts instead of homes) have waiting lists so get in line

Rent for a 1 bedroom in a safe area for a 1 bedroom = $1,400

2 bedroom = $1,800

Want to live in an area with a lot of other young families? Add $200-$300 per month to those prices above. Those rates are for student and immigrant, and working class type areas that are safe but expect broken glass and drunk people (students).
Quote:
I think you can definitely do better than those numbers if you look around.

We live in Cambridge and our kids go to daycare in Beacon Hill right over the bridge. Tuition is 1900/mon for infants and 1300/mon for preschoolers at an amazing center. They do have a long waiting list (maybe 9 mos? but less for the toddler and preschool program.) There are cheaper centers around.

We live in a 2 BR plus nursery in Kendall sq for 1550/mon. It has an eat-in kitchen, 2 BR, a large enclosed patio that we use for storage and a nursery off of our bedroom which has 2 closets, a crib and 2 dressers. Very safe/populated area/kid friendly/tons of playgrounds/etc. I know rent is a little higher now (ours is lower since we've been here for years) but certainly you can find something similar for under 1800. And there is definitely no broken glass/drunk people here.

So that is in Cambridge in Kendall Sq. I am sure you can find a safe area in another part of cambridge for even cheaper that is not T - accessible or a decent area in Brighton which would be cheaper. I dont know Brighton VERY well, but my sister used to live there with 2 kids and managed to find an area without drunk people/safe neighborhood. If you look towards the Brookline border you may be able to find something.

Or go out to Arlington if your kids are school aged. Not sure if you would consider that the boston area, but I would. you can get into the city using the alewife stop thats in Cambridge but close to Arlington. You can get a 2BR with heat and a parking spot for under 1400. GREAT FIND IN ARLINGTON PETS NEGOTIABLE

How old are your kids? Cambridge has a preschool program based on a sliding income scale. The wait list is lonnngg so you would need to sign up as soon as you move, but it is a good option in your situation.

Would watching the kids 2 days a week and do daycare 3 days a wk be a possibility for you?

Old 11-22-2015, 01:23 AM

6 posts, read 4,373 times
first thing a parent should do is check with state licensing agency for complaints citations investigations.Check turnover of staff and Director.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:07 AM

486 posts, read 360,715 times
$66k is barely enough for a single person with no debt around here, let alone a three person household - rent and daycare alone will eat right through that and ask for more. You would need $100k at the very least if you're planning to use daycare and rent a two bedroom apartment in a decent (i.e. no flying bullets or drunk undergrads) part of town.

As for all those "great deal - $1400/month two bedroom in Trump Tower penthouse" - they're either outright scams or the usual bait and switch. And don't forget first/last/security and sometimes realtor fee on top of that - that's another $6-10k right there.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:12 AM

3,268 posts, read 2,194,061 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
$66k is barely enough for a single person with no debt around here, let alone a three person household - rent and daycare alone will eat right through that and ask for more. You would need $100k at the very least if you're planning to use daycare and rent a two bedroom apartment in a decent (i.e. no flying bullets or drunk undergrads) part of town.
Agree, i'm not sure where 3 people would be able to live on 66k in this city unless you had significant government help. Again, it would likely make mores sense to have someone just stay home with the child.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:15 AM

442 posts, read 347,498 times
I suggest looking into Home Daycares as an option. They are more affordable than centers. Just make sure she has been a licensed provider for a long time and has no complaints. You can find an apartment just outside of Boston for less money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston