U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 02:08 PM

510 posts, read 1,046,714 times

Advertisements

I volunteer at a local YMCA just across the State border from Ma. and I can tell anybody who asks that he biggest problem is individuals, and even families, just plain not locking the locker!
I feel sorry for anyone who comes to the front desk asking if anyone turned in a _____, or the man who had his wallet taken from his pants pocket while it was stuffed in a backpack in a locker of the family changing room!
I have this advice:
1. Bring your own lock.
2. Paint or mark your lock so it is very different from all the others.(Make it stand out)
3 Check the latch mechanism before you use the locker. I had a wallet stolen from a locker that I put a combination lock on - but the door latch had been sabotaged so the latch could be lifted even with a padlock in place! (The hook on the frame had been snapped off)
4. Don't leave stuff in your car rather than bring it in. Cars have been robbed too.
While I don't reccomend it, some people leave their set of keys at the front desk and pick the up on the way out.
By the way, the lost and found is emptied of clothing and non-valuables every Thursday but things like eyeglasses, books, ear buds, jewelry is kept at the front desk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 02:05 AM

6,286 posts, read 6,126,582 times
I lost my under wear in a shower room before. I guess there's a lot of "diversity" in those places!

Old 09-08-2013, 09:36 AM

7,373 posts, read 15,340,917 times
I have literally never had any of my belongings taken from me at the gym. I'd wager it's due to my foolproof preventative plan which is simply not going to the gym. I'll end up morbidly obease, so I'll have enough on my plate (literally and figuratively) without having to worry about theft at the gym. Try it sometime. It really works!

Old 12-28-2013, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,109 times
i worked out at BSC prudential center. I have been working out here for like 8 years. But today is the first time it happened to me. I locked my locker but forgot to take the keys out of the padlocked. After 30 minutes i remember and went down to find my locker still locked with the keys on. When i was on my way home i realize that my wallet is missing. When i checked my online banking the theft, went on a nearby walgreens and CVS and went on a shopping spree spending nearly like 3 grand. Its an awful experience.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:36 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,336,473 times
As long as idiots keep putting valuables in gym lockers, they will keep getting broken into. The only thing that's ever in mine is the set of clothes I'm not wearing. If your in a crap area or the lockers in your gym are frequently robbed, then DON'T PUT GOOD STUFF IN THERE! It's pretty simple really. For valuables that you can't not have on you get a car safe. I carry concealed basically everywhere I go and needless to say I would never trust a gun with my name on it in a gym locker! I'd recommend anybody that has valuables that they can't avoid having on them at gym time (mainly people that go after work on the way home) to get a Vehicle gun safe whether you carry or not. They attach to the seat base with aircraft cable and are very tough to get into. Good for wallets, cash, jewelry etc.

PS, I recommend Combination safes over keyed ones because you'd most likely have your keys in your locker and many gyms have that "key basket" where people just through them. Granted it's a little bit of a stretch that somebody would come in the gym, steal your keys, figure out what they go to.....but better safe than sorry.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:47 PM

7,079 posts, read 6,741,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
I carry concealed basically everywhere I go and needless to say I would never trust a gun with my name on it in a gym locker! I'd recommend anybody that has valuables that they can't avoid having on them at gym time (mainly people that go after work on the way home) to get a Vehicle gun safe whether you carry or not. They attach to the seat base with aircraft cable and are very tough to get into. Good for wallets, cash, jewelry etc.
Hopefully you don't leave your firearm unattended inside your vehicle (locked or not)?

M.G.L.

"Handguns under a Class A License: “No person carrying a loaded firearm (i.e. handgun) under a Class A license to carry firearms… shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person.” (Chapter 140, section 131C)"

As for me, nothing comes inside the gym but my keys (keep them right with me), a water bottle and change of cloths.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:07 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,222,575 times
Under NO circumstances should anyone use a combination lock. There are videos all over the Internet on how to "unlock" a combination lock in under 30 seconds. Go to a locksmith and purchase a quality keyed padlock and put the key on a dogtag chain that you can wear over your neck.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:36 AM

7,922 posts, read 6,851,904 times
I work out in a smaller, neighborhood gym, so you see the same people all the time. in this situation, I doubt theft is much of a problem. But I still don't understand why so many people just don't lock their stuff up.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 938 times
I had $200 stolen from my locked (combo lock) locker on my first visit to a local Planet Fitness in MD. I don't think I could have done much more, but am now thinking of what I can do. They post signs indicating that there is theft in the parking lot outside the Planet Fitness and that members should watch their valuables. My wallet was in my pants pocket in my gym bag. I am taking lessons from security teams (Jack Bauer beware). I am researching cameras that can go inside a locker and a way I can enable an electrical impulse or mace inside my own locker if I do not disengage the locker correctly. It is absolutely ridiculous that you cannot leave a locked locker for 10 minutes without some kind of theft occurring.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:41 AM

32,836 posts, read 22,780,939 times
Use a good key lock, the Master Combo style locks are easily bypassed.

I've never had any problems with a locked locker being gone into in 20 years of gym going.

I did have boots I left out taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or