U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 04:47 PM

244 posts, read 483,658 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are coming from NJ to Boston the last week of September for the BC/FSU football game. My husband went to FSU and has never been to Boston so we are excited.

Where would you recommend for restaurants to eat at - Can either be fancy or more casual but food must be good. We are looking for some great seafood places where we can get lobster, crablegs, clam chowder. I've searched the internet and found some recommendations (Island Creek Oyster Bar and Atlantic Fish Co. look great). Anyone have any recommendations?

Also any recommendations as to bars to hit up - we are in our 30's - so no crazy college bars or Clubs.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 04:58 PM

697 posts, read 1,099,026 times
You have to hit Legal Sea Food.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:10 PM

2,051 posts, read 3,465,356 times
Giacomo's on Hanover St. in the North, from my observation, is the only restaurant with a consistent line out the door for dinner. Sure, the space is small but so are the competitors nearby-- and they have no lineups. Anybody know why? Is it that good? Maybe the OP could at least stroll by and talk to the people in line for their recommendations!

Legal's newest spot, their flagship, is probably the best for ambiance due to its Seaport locale.

For clubs, maybe Ryles Jazz club in Cambridge, or Scullers or Regattabar also for jazz. Wally's on Mass. Ave. in Boston for jazz is likely the only one without a cover charge? Or, try Beehive in the South End. Seems they have live music most nights as well as a cool menu. Haven't been there myself.

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 09-07-2013 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 09-08-2013, 06:07 AM

449 posts, read 461,382 times
Giacomo's doesn't take reservations; their competitors probably do. That being said, I've heard great things about it.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:01 AM

3,585 posts, read 3,670,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren810g View Post
My husband and I are coming from NJ to Boston the last week of September for the BC/FSU football game. My husband went to FSU and has never been to Boston so we are excited.

Where would you recommend for restaurants to eat at - Can either be fancy or more casual but food must be good. We are looking for some great seafood places where we can get lobster, crablegs, clam chowder. I've searched the internet and found some recommendations (Island Creek Oyster Bar and Atlantic Fish Co. look great). Anyone have any recommendations?

Also any recommendations as to bars to hit up - we are in our 30's - so no crazy college bars or Clubs.

Thanks in advance!
Go to Yankee Lobster over in South Boston. Great food, pretty reasonable prices and it's within walking distance of the Harpoon Brewery. So you could go and have some lunch and then do a tour at the brewery for a nice afternoon. Or there's also the ICA nearby too you could go to after lunch.

For a little nicer and more expensive option, Island Creek Oysters in Kenmore is awesome. You've mentioned it and it's easily one of my favorite places in Boston. Great food, great service and the place itself is nice.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,655,551 times
I wouldn't waste my money on Legal Seafood. It's good, but it's pretentious, and WAY overpriced for what you get. It's basically a place where tourists go, so that they can say that they went there. You're better off going to the Noname No Name Restaurant | Boston Seafood Restaurant on the Fish Pier and getting more, and equally delicious food for less money in a much more fun atmosphere. Warning: they specialize in fried fish and seafood - in HUGE quantities. Don't get an appetizer in addition to an entree unless you're sharing both with another person.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 PM

865 posts, read 2,246,777 times
I think you'd enjoy Atlantic Fish Co. It's in a great location and you will be able to find some good places to hang out nearby, both on Boylston Street and on Newbury Street.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 AM

288 posts, read 489,513 times
For your first experience of Boston, I wouldn't go to Giacomo's because the line is too long and the restaurant is tiny. You're practically brushing elbows with the people in the table next to you. North End is quaint and the Greenway area is beautiful, but as a foodie, Giacomo's has never blown my mind (I had the lobster diavolo and didn't think it was very unique). It's kind of like, "been there, done that", not worth repeating if there's a line. On the other hand, the Daily Catch (squid ink pasta) and Neptune's Oyster (lobster rolls) are places that I would go again and again and and even wait for hours on end. Not great for my cholesterol, but Neptune's has the best buttered lobster roll in Boston. But they are tiny and loud with long lines, so I wouldn't recommend them if it's your first Boston experience and time is tight.

If you want an amazing food experience, try the tasting menu at L'espalier, near Copley Square, which is one of the most beautiful areas of Boston. Atlantic Fish Company, in comparison, is kind of loud and crowded and as expensive. At L'espalier, it's romantic, quiet, and you are treated like royalty by an unpretentious waitstaff. I also think their food tasting menu is a better deal than most places because they will serve you lobster and other expensive cuts of meats, and then give you lots of tasting bites in between entrees (one of the "freebies" was a crab leg, with the meat already extracted). We've also done wine and drink pairings. I'm not normally a wine fan, but we were given a glass that was so delicious that I've been searching all of Boston to find a damn bottle (haven't been able to get anything close), so their sommelier is really, really good. So you get a lot for what you pay for and the experience is amazing.

Lobster has be done right...if it's overcooked, it's too rubbery. If it's not fresh, it won't taste sweet and may taste off. It has to be the right portion for the price, so you aren't craving more or annoyed they overcharged you. If it's still in it's shell, you get distracted with the extraction process and lose focus when you should be savoring the taste. Honestly, the best satisfactory lobster experience I've ever had was at Neptune's Oyster or L'espalier. Perfect on all of the above. Darnit, if I paying that much, I might as well be happy.

If you want the most gorgeous view of Boston, I would hit the bar at the Top of the Hub also near Copley. I think the only other place you can find a 360-city view like that is if you went to Manhattan. So very unique.

I am a local foodie, and for the longest time I did not like Legal Seafood because I would order their breadcrumbs and butter seafood dishes and not feel so great afterwards. But I have been won over by my husband who is a fan. Our favorite dishes at Legal Seafood is sesame encrusted ahi tuna and the softshell crab but everything else is admittedly not that unique. So you might like Atlantic Fish Company more. I wouldn't go because to Legal's because it's a chain restaurant that you can find anywhere on the East coast. The wait staff in the Boston locations are wonderful though.

Last edited by sharencare; 09-10-2013 at 10:19 AM..

Old 09-10-2013, 01:05 PM

417 posts, read 535,605 times
Atlantic Fish Co for sure. Mare is good in the north end. I've heard good things about neptune oyster.

The good thing about Atlantic Fish Co is its in the back bay and you can walk down Newbury street before that or after. get a drink outside somewhere/etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston