U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 07:11 PM

806 posts, read 1,432,505 times

Advertisements

Both my wife and I are from Boston as children. We are taking a much needed trip back to see family and will have a Monday night for a night in Boston for a date night. We are thinking about dropping off the rental car a day early and taking the T into town and spend the night.

1. Is the T safe to travel with luggage during the middle of the day?

2. Where should we stay? Trying to keep hotel under $300 which is proving to be challenging.

3. Any suggestions for a date night place to eat, something with history would be great. Under $100 for two with a drink or two.

4. Should I blow of downtown and go somewhere else for the night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 08:54 PM

Got a great deal with points at The Boston Park Plaza hotel. Recommendations for restaurants in that area and taking the T to the airport from there.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:51 AM
bUU

11,699 posts, read 8,161,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
Yes.

Quote:
2. Where should we stay? Trying to keep hotel under $300 which is proving to be challenging.
I live here so remarkably know very little about hotels in Boston. Sorry.

Quote:
3. Any suggestions for a date night place to eat, something with history would be great. Under $100 for two with a drink or two.
Uh, that last bit might make it very difficult. Durgin Park might fit the bill though. Most expensive entree is $27 (except for the Durgin Cut prime rib and lobster, which are more), $14-$28 in appetizers, dessert adds another $6-$12 - that should leave enough to have a couple of drinks for $100. It's been about forty years since I've been there, though, so I cannot attest to how good the food is anymore.

Quote:
I think we'd need to know a lot more about you to advise about that.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:48 AM

6,324 posts, read 9,026,282 times
The wife and I recently did a date night downtown where we stayed at the Fairmont Copley Plaza. I believe the rate was in the 2's. I found it on their website.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:29 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,404,844 times
Quote:
Both my wife and I are from Boston as children. We are taking a much needed trip back to see family and will have a Monday night for a night in Boston for a date night. We are thinking about dropping off the rental car a day early and taking the T into town and spend the night.

1. Yes. For that matter, I wouldn't be concerned about it the rest of the time either.

2. Mondays aren't all that cheap in Boston, weekends actually tend to be the cheapest in my experience (pricing seems to be largely driven by business travel). I'd expect you could find something good for under that price though, unless you mean you're looking under a week out.

3. I'll leave that to others.

4. Depends on what you define as downtown, but the downtown isn't really the heart of Boston in the sense of things to do at night. Places like Newbury St. are where people are out and about at night.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:54 PM

1,504 posts, read 1,523,298 times
Quote:

1. Absolutely. Pretty safe at night too, for that matter.

2. I've noticed some good deals on Living Social or Groupon lately. Right now, Living Social has a one-Night Stay for Two in a Superior Room, Sundays through Thursdays ($125) or Fridays and Saturdays ($139) at the Revere Hotel Boston Common and I've recently seen the Park Plaza on special. I don't know anything about the hotel, per se - maybe someone else can help with that - but it seems like a pretty good location for a Boston date night; in the theatre district, close to lots of restaurants and within walking distance of the back bay or the Common,etc.

;

Old 09-12-2013, 12:43 AM

Thanks Everyone for the responses. We booked at Boston Park Plaza with a great deal using cc points just a block from the commons and considering Top of the Hub for Dinner or at least for a nightcap and dessert. This will be my first trip with my wife and I together coming back home and we are very excited. Glad to hear the T is still safe to travel, many childhood memories of riding the T into Boston with mom as she worked downtown. I imagine riding the T again will bring back found childhood memories.

That is a great deal for The Revere hotel however the fine print is bookings starting end of November. For the night we are looking at which is a Monday they want $400 for the night.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:16 AM
bUU

11,699 posts, read 8,161,343 times
Quote:
Quote:
considering Top of the Hub for Dinner
Typical meal:

New England Clam Chowder $10
or
Arugula Salad $10

Atlantic Salmon $30
or
NY Strip Steak $48

Boston Cream Pie $11

The least expensive bottle of wine runs about $30. Mixed drinks are similarly expensive.

Might have a good deal of trouble getting out of there for less than $100 for two people, for dinner, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or