U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 09:51 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,239,652 times

Advertisements

I used to work in Boston; commuted in from Providence and I LOVED it! Always wanted to find a way to move into the city itself.

A little over four years ago I moved to Tampa with my (now) ex-boyfriend. The only thing I like here is the winter weather and the palm trees! I want to move, more culture, better opportunity, etc.

Can someone explain to me why I am hesitant and even downright scared to move back to New England and Boston in particular? I just don't get it. I can see myself with a great place in the South End, riding the T to get to work. I miss all the culture and history and Irish pride (I'm Scottish ancestry, but you know how we appreciate each other ).

What's with the trepidation??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 01:02 PM

2,266 posts, read 4,523,510 times
I think it is normal for people to be scared of something different or new. You get so used to a certain lifestyle, whether your completely content with it or not...but we are still creatures of habit in many ways.

It takes everyone a little while to get acclimated to something different.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:19 PM

132 posts, read 426,622 times
Hey....get in line kiddo! I am a Florida native and with any grace at all, we will be leaving here and moving to Mass very soon! I think the older you get, even by just a few years, anything new, or uprooting, is a little nerve racking. Just go...get out of Florida...you cannot imagine what a smart move that is!!! If you are nervous, go to Normandy Farms campground. You can do a work camper program and live there for free and only work like 20 hours a week. Most campgrounds offer this, but Normandy farms is wonderful....it is a resort! I think you will do just fine and I cannot wait to join you. After 51 years here (Florida) and the changes we have seen, my bags are packed and we are just waiting for either his company to say, yep, come on up, or retirement in 3 years or less....get me outta here...good luck to you and please, please go! you are doing the right thing!

Old 11-18-2007, 11:15 AM
LCT

24 posts, read 63,691 times
Moving is supposed to be one of the major stress factors in one's life, right up there with divorce and death.

You didn't say your age, how long ago you broke up with your boyfriend of if he was also from the RI/MA area. Is he a factor?

You've just spent 4 years of your life in Tampa; that's a reasonably long time. It's natural to be a little nervous leaving what is now familiar and routine. You're probably wondering if Boston will still be the same, will you reconnect with old friends or have to make all new ones, etc. I'm sure you realize that in the 4 years you've been away, the city will look different at first.

You're basically going to start all over: new job, new apartment, new friends, new city, etc., plus a new, improved and more mature you!

If you didn't have a little hesitation, I'd be worried that you were naive or very immature.

Best of Luck! If you really, really want to relocate, make a game-plan and just do it. If you get a move on, you can start 2008 here!

Old 11-19-2007, 06:39 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,239,652 times
Thanks. You all have clarified it and I feel better now.

I'm hoping for Spring next year (I want just one more winter in Florida).

Old 11-27-2007, 10:53 AM

104 posts, read 447,428 times
Default Understand your feelings

VictoryTampa:
I understand your feelings! I am here in MA and love the area - but LOVE warm weather. I go crazy in the winter. Hubbie got great job offer for Tampa this summer and after analyzing everything I just could not do it...now that it is cold I wish I had...anyway - change is stressful and just go with it. There is much more "culture" here - but along with that goes blizzards, snow and cold weather.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:08 PM

2,266 posts, read 4,523,510 times
I have a friend who did the opposite. She moved from the Boston area to Tampa. So far she really enjoys it. She didn't like be stuck inside during the winter up in MA and was upset with the way a lot of things were going. She seems to be really happy in Tampa right now.

You can always go back if it doesn't work out. That is the attitude my friend took when moving.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:42 PM

1,810 posts, read 9,714,219 times
If you have a safety net, you will not have as much anxiety.

If you have a loving parent or sibling who will take you in if you fail... there will be less pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or