U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,452 times

Advertisements

so can anyone suggest a good bike path with perfect road for exercise? I live in Malden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 06:41 AM

643 posts, read 832,265 times
I don't know the condition of the paths but you are near the Bike to the Sea trail:
Bike to the Sea | Map

If you head into Cambridge, you can pick up the Minuteman bike trail near the Alewife stop and that is in great condition.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:07 AM

2,545 posts, read 4,858,641 times
Sounds like you have a road bike, but there are some pretty great mountain bike trails in the Middlesex Fells Res.

Middlesex Fells Reservation

Old 10-12-2013, 01:42 PM

10,925 posts, read 7,725,114 times
An antiquated utility system runs under our streets and it is constantly being repaired.

Oh and it doesn't appear to be in the budget, what with teachers and public safety personnel inching closer and closer to the 1% of wage earners group.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:22 PM

373 posts, read 486,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donewithpretty View Post
That's why the roads crack in the first place. But Massachusetts could easily keep the roads in better repair. (Cross the line into any other state for a comparison.) When I lived in Philly, the center-city roads would get repaved in a weekend. It was amazing.

I'm not old enough to know whether the bad roads in Massachusetts pre-date the Big Dig, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason funding originally got diverted from the roads. Massachusetts residents in general are used to it at this point. It's a shame. This is a wealthy state, and so many towns would be adorable (not to mention, easier and safer to drive in) if the roads were taken care of.
There is no life cycle plan for any of the roads in most of the towns. No authority states that every road must be in a certain rate of condition. From interviewing people I ascertained that one roadway in Brockton has only been repaved ONCE in 65 years. The street is under heavy traffic. It carries a large amount of vehicles between Brockton, Abington, Holbrook, Randolph, Avon, Whitman, etc. It took many years before Brockton actually repaved it.

The roads are supposed to built to a standard. In many cases the subbase does not extend throughout the area underneath the roadway. The top coat was immediately applied to the first layer prior to an allowance for settling. Or the town picked the wrong mix.

Towns don't try to plan road work around street repair. They let utilities DIG a road within months or 1 year of laying new asphalt; ie. Norwell. Cohasset did not repave until gas mains, sewer, and water was perfected. Sewer delays held the road work from completion.

Look at Lexington. It has a hard road network with lots of cracks and settling. It is a rich town.

1) Adopt best practices from towns with good track record.
2) Consolidate equipment purchases in regional DPW
3) Require road renewal by Regional DPW instead of contractors
4) Require road renewal based on lifecycle of roadway.

Bill

Old 10-13-2013, 03:31 PM

373 posts, read 486,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
And in general, I bet Eastern Mass gets a lot more travel wear (more cars traveling them) than most of Southern New Hampshire and probably even has more roads in general.
If the density is the same and the road network is smaller, then would there not be higher usage of the roads within such a smaller network?

The density in Southern New Hampshire actually exceeds the density in my neighborhood within Massachusetts. Going to the north of me it is comparable. My town has TWO significant roads which are not even paved.

Bill

Old 11-04-2013, 09:25 AM

3,252 posts, read 6,067,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
So then why such a difference the second you cross the border? Does the climate change from Tyngsboro to Nashua? Excuses like this makes me wonder if our politicians are posting here.
When I was a little kid, and lived in MA... we used to go skiing in NH quite a bit.... From my recollection, NH derived substantial inflow of spending by out-of-staters for leaf-peeping, winter sports, and recreation. It was in the state's benefit to keep the roads going north/south clean, in good shape, and free of snow for these visitors. I remember many a time leaving the mess of the roads during a snowstorm in MA/NH to go north, and once crossing the border, the NH interstates didn't have a flake on them. In an absolute sense, most of the interstate/major roads in the US are now sub-par to many other countries, like Sweden; the Eisenhower system set them up in the US, but states like MA, with its I-90 tolls, view them as a cash cow, since the system was paid off long ago, and use the money derived for other purposes.
I do agree with one of the other posters, that there are far superior road systems in the Far East (though many far inferior, too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or