U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 3,457 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I have been to here for 2 months from TAIWAN. I find that there are a lot of cracks and hole on road surface in Boston. I love to ride my bike when I was in my country, but NOW I hate to ride a bike in Boston. Do you guys who ride bike agree with me? should I sell my road bike and buy a new mountain bike for this shxt cracks and hole? I don't know why the local city governmentcan't handle this problem... no money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 07:09 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,225,930 times
The weather in Boston is very rough on the road surface.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:51 PM

387 posts, read 735,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
The weather in Boston is very rough on the road surface.
That's why the roads crack in the first place. But Massachusetts could easily keep the roads in better repair. (Cross the line into any other state for a comparison.) When I lived in Philly, the center-city roads would get repaved in a weekend. It was amazing.

I'm not old enough to know whether the bad roads in Massachusetts pre-date the Big Dig, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason funding originally got diverted from the roads. Massachusetts residents in general are used to it at this point. It's a shame. This is a wealthy state, and so many towns would be adorable (not to mention, easier and safer to drive in) if the roads were taken care of.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:55 PM

32,850 posts, read 22,816,407 times
Freeze and thaw cycle. Limited funds to fix.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:37 PM

643 posts, read 834,153 times
You can probably keep your road bike and get a wider tire. Get the widest one you can that will fit in your frame and not interfere with your brakes.

A mountain bike is not a bad idea though, especially for winter.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,457 times
I know the weather is one of the reasons, but hey, just check the roads on JAPAN. The road is perfect in all seasons. I please the boston local govornment repair the road more often...would the mayor use this forum?

BTW, the widest tire can fit my frame is 28c, it's not enough...for crack road, maybe I will buy new bike.(sigh)

Old 10-09-2013, 01:38 AM

288 posts, read 491,133 times
The freezing and thawing cycle creates cracks which get worse over time. If you have heavy traffic, the weight of the cars, and even the the metal of plows making contact with the damaged road, will make the hole worse. In the winter, from November to March, the city road crew might do temporary patches. The rest of the year, I've noticed the crews do more permanent fixes and have even repaved entire roads.

There's the Citizens Connect App where you can send your issue to City Hall. Everything you need to know about Boston and Potholes: Potholes | City of Boston

My entire street got repaved recently, so I've found the Boston city government generally responsive. It took about 3 days for them to repave the entire street so I was pleasantly surprised at the speed. The workers removed a couple of inches of the old road and just repaved the top to a very smooth finish. It's been months and it still looks dark and brand new. I'm guessing though it's much harder for them to take care of large or busy streets without a lot of planning, but I've noticed they seem to be preparing to do something big to a major road near our home.

Anyway, be polite and precise in your phone calls or your emails. If you can, get a friend or neighbor to also send in a request if the road bothers them too. If you complain randomly and don't mention the exact location of the pothole, it's unlikely to get fixed. On the other hand, if you are precise, I've seen the simpler potholes get fixed within 2-3 business days. There are about 10 road crews covering 800 miles of Boston roads. They're constantly working, so it helps if people report where the holes are developing.

Last edited by sharencare; 10-09-2013 at 02:15 AM..

Old 10-09-2013, 06:48 AM
miu

16,521 posts, read 33,508,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juytgdbn View Post
I know the weather is one of the reasons, but hey, just check the roads on JAPAN. The road is perfect in all seasons. I please the boston local govornment repair the road more often...would the mayor use this forum?

BTW, the widest tire can fit my frame is 28c, it's not enough...for crack road, maybe I will buy new bike.(sigh)
Perhaps you should move to Japan then.

Also Boston roads are much more used, more vehicles and heavier cars and trucks driving over them every day and night.

BTW how come you haven't yet complained about having to navigate the roads with rude Boston drivers yet? Or the lack of bike travel lanes?

Old 10-09-2013, 07:25 AM

643 posts, read 834,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juytgdbn View Post

I don't know if it will help but you can also try a thicker gel handlebar tape and a nice pair of cycling gloves. Cheaper than a new bike.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:16 AM

343 posts, read 917,752 times
Simple - they don't maintain the roads in MA. I'm from upstate NY where the weather (re snow) is worse and they use more salt. The roads are in far better condition and are well-maintained, even the secondary and tertiary roads. Drive up into New Hampshire and as soon as you cross over you see that the roads are much better. There are so many roads in MA that are so far gone, I don't think they will ever be able to keep up ... and you should see the roads on the side streets that get even less attention. You could loose a small child in some of the pot-holes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or