U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 11:17 PM

9 posts, read 6,429 times

Advertisements

Somewhere where there might be subway to Cambridge. Preferably close to nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 08:57 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,213,956 times
How cheap do you want to get? What is the price range you are looking for? Also, what do you mean by nature? A simple urban park or something bigger like a state reservation?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:55 PM

simple urban park is ok. state reservation is better. any range of cheapness is acceptable.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:34 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,213,956 times
Malden, Quincy, and the Neponset, Adams Village, and Lower Mills sections of Dorchester are among the most affordable in Greater Boston and are all accessible by subway. Medford and Everett are not as accessible but still close to Cambridge. Each have numerous parks of different sizes. Malden and Medford are not far from Middlesex Fells Reservation and Quincy and Dorchester are close to Blue Hills Reservation.

Unfortunately, there isn't really anything really cheap in Greater Boston anymore. If you haven't read the news, Boston is listed among the top ten most expensive cities in the nation nowadays. Properties close to the subway tend to be pricier because so many people want them. You'd still have to shell out $1,000+ in most places for your own apartment. If you want to cut costs, then find a roommate or roommates. That actually isn't that bad of an idea if you are single because there are a lot of interesting young people to meet in this metro area.

Hope I am not scaring you away because as long as you can afford the costs, Greater Boston is a great place to live.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:23 PM

I couldn't find Adam's Village on Google Maps. How come Medford and Everett are not as accessible when it's closer to Boston than the others? Can you take the rail from Medford or Everett to Cambridge?

Old 10-16-2013, 04:46 PM

Also, how much would a two bedroom apartment cost in those places?

Old 10-17-2013, 11:09 AM

32,794 posts, read 22,758,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostion View Post
I couldn't find Adam's Village on Google Maps. How come Medford and Everett are not as accessible when it's closer to Boston than the others? Can you take the rail from Medford or Everett to Cambridge?

Wellington T Station (orange line) is in Medford. Doesn't go directly to Cambridge, but you can go into the city then out to Cambridge (orange to green or orange to red), and Wellington isn't the middle of Medford (if I recall correctly). Kind of a pain. T can't go everywhere. There are "plans" for expansion, but the T has no money so it will be decades if it does happen. I don't think there is any subway in Everett. Take a look at the MBTA map, it will help you.

Rents can be all over for a two bedroom. You need to nail down a more precise locale. For instance, I'm in the cheap part of Somerville and have an older one bedroom for $1100. The same place would be $1800-2200 just a couple of miles away on the other side of the city.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:58 PM

714 posts, read 835,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostion View Post
I couldn't find Adam's Village on Google Maps.
Adams Village is the nether region between Dorchester/Milton Lower Mills and Neponset bordered by the Cedar Grove cemetery, Adams St., and Gallivan Blvd.

Quote:
How come Medford and Everett are not as accessible when it's closer to Boston than the others? Can you take the rail from Medford or Everett to Cambridge?
The only transit station I know of in that area is Wellington station, which is on the Orange Line. It's not easy to reach unless you have a car, owing that it's located on a very busy highway.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:48 PM

5,945 posts, read 6,766,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
Adams Village is the nether region between Dorchester/Milton Lower Mills and Neponset bordered by the Cedar Grove cemetery, Adams St., and Gallivan Blvd.

The only transit station I know of in that area is Wellington station, which is on the Orange Line. It's not easy to reach unless you have a car, owing that it's located on a very busy highway.
Aren't there two commuter rail stops in Medford?

Old 10-18-2013, 09:33 AM

3,590 posts, read 3,676,391 times
North Quincy.

It has a Red Line stop and is a straight shot up to Cambridge. Depending on which stop you're getting off at in Cambridge, you would be looking at a 25-40 minute ride during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or