U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 03:34 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,235,350 times

Advertisements

"I want to ask again what is safe? The mother of schoolmate of my son's knew the woman from Sunnyside Queens who moved to Connecticut so her son would be in a safer environment than the NYC. That poor child died at Newtown Elementary School. So how after this, can I believe my child is really safe anywhere?
That young man who shot at the cops two weeks ago in Dorchester had tried toting a gun into community college class in Wellesley, ok? Wellesley. This is the world we all live in now, not just people in the inner city. "

I absolutely loved Dorchester and would even move there again, perhaps, today, due to its convenience and great houses, but not if I had kids.

I quote as above. Anecdotal and therefore not as important as statistics on crime: robbery, assaults, break-ins and murder. Wellesley or the suburbs of Ct. v.s. Dorchester? What do YOU think? It's a no-brainer when it comes to safety.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 11:56 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,325,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abolgani View Post
Dorchester, Mattapan ect (undesirable parts of Boston).
Correct....UNdesirable

Quote:
We have had friends who have started having kids move out of the city because of the schools
So your FRIENDS are moving out to excape the schools, but strangers here may talk you out of it?

Quote:
Is it safe for a child to play outside? To ride bikes around when they are older?.
Watch the news! Not a coincidence where all the problems are.

Why do you have to live in the City? You can still live in the burbs, have GOOD schools and not have to pay extra for them, not pay inflated property taxes, car insurance etc. I went to Boston Public for 11 years....NO THANKS. Also, outside of elementary school Boston puts you wherever they want to, so even if you did live in a good neighborhood, it wouldn't matter. Your kids could be bused into a crap school in a crap neighborhood.

Yes, there's a VERY small area that's nice in Dorchester, but is that really enough? Not for me.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:29 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,797,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
"The financial district is 8 redline stops, 16 minutes from Ashmont, where there is beautiful housing stock in the $500,000, range"....

Yup, this is exactly the logic. You may just finish your whole line of rationale with....

If there are 8 red line stops to the Financial district from Dorchester, then why not just avoid all this crime and safe street/unsafe street business and move to Quincy? There are less stops between Quincy and DTX, and far less crime, better schools, and a much better mix of amenities (hills, beaches, quiet leafy side streets etc). The Quincy Downtown renovation is aimed precisely at this logic.

Yes, Dorchester has some very fine architecture, but so does Quincy. For 500K, you can find a very very nice house here in the Wollaston, N Quincy, Squantum or Merrymount sections of Quincy, and you can go trick or treating with your kids without any worries....but still be amazingly close to Boston etc. The beautiful Crane Library is in Quincy, and so is the largest YMCA in the South Shore, to be open on Dec 1st. So, more to think about. (disclaimer...we live in Wollaston and we absolutely love it here).
I have to echo Quincy. It is not much further from the Financial District compared to Dorchester and it can be a decent community for a family. The school are supposedly much improved as compared to years ago.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,939 times
There are definitely nicer parts in Dorchester. I think the area around Savin Hill Ave is nice and it's next to my favorite diner, Mckennas. I'd stay away from Mattapan (Murderpan) though... Lol.

I great up right in Boston and went to the Boston Public Schools system. It's not bad especially if you can get into BLS or BLA.

Happy Hunting.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:53 AM

40 posts, read 39,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abolgani View Post
Hello.

My husband and I currently rent in JP but we are looking to buy home, settle down and start a family. The home we are looking for would be a single family, 3 bedrooms and a yard. We also have car so we would need something with parking. We have looked high and low but can only find homes in our price range in Dorchester, Mattapan ect (undesirable parts of Boston). Additionally we need to have access to the T since we both work in the financial district and take the train to work. The housing stock in Dorchester seems to fit our criteria my only concern is the schools and safety in general. We have had friends who have started having kids move out of the city because of the schools but I don't want to make the leap yet.

What are folks opinions on raising children in Dorchester? Are the schools really that bad? Is it safe for a child to play outside? To ride bikes around when they are older?

Both my husband and I grew up in the suburbs and have found memories of playing outside, riding our bikes to the local store ect. We would like our future children to have the same experiences but in the city. Is this possible? Especially in Dorchester? Would you raise your children there? Or have you raised your children there? Any opinions and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks.
no.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:11 PM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,425,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
Your question is: Would You Raise Your Children in Dorchester? My answer is no. I lived in Dorchester and when my daughter was about to go into the first grade we moved. I don't think it's safe at all.
My answer would be a big NO to raising children in Dorchester. I am forever grateful to my parents for moving to Sudbury and then Concord for our grade school years. And it's more than for safety concerns. In Concord, I had good neighborhood and school friends. I was able to bicycle to school without concern. And all of my friends were serious about their academic studies and planning to go on to good colleges like it was no big deal. And we had no high school dropouts or baby mommas.

I have several co-workers who live in Dorchester, and no, I still have no desire to live there.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:38 PM

1,113 posts, read 854,953 times
Man shot at Ashmont T station | Universal Hub you wanna live across the street from ashmont....I've also seen a suspect chased on foot from the charlie machine in the station near the trolley across the street through traffic to ashmont tire..around 3pm last year sunny July day.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:43 PM

974 posts, read 1,263,016 times
Sure, let's play this game... Maybe the gun came from the Back Bay??

Back Bay crime | Universal Hub

Man has assault rifle, other guns and ammo stolen out of his car in the Back Bay | Universal Hub
Man has assault rifle, other guns and ammo stolen out of his car in the Back Bay

Old 08-21-2014, 03:30 PM

1,113 posts, read 854,953 times
I've also seen two heavily drug addicted women fighting at ashmont and see police there fairly regularly as I take the train and bus there daily and occasionally the trolley. You can act like crime isn't real in ashmont, but I will tell you firsthand Fuller Street is not a nice street. And there ain't no way around that. Does ashmont really seem like the place to raise kids? People get shot, pistol whipped and burglarized weekly. Weekly. Like clockwork. and it's not even news.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:09 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,745,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
Sure, let's play this game... Maybe the gun came from the Back Bay??

Back Bay crime | Universal Hub

Man has assault rifle, other guns and ammo stolen out of his car in the Back Bay | Universal Hub
Man has assault rifle, other guns and ammo stolen out of his car in the Back Bay
Sure does make me want to go to Back Bay this weekend, not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston