U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 01:24 PM

974 posts, read 1,263,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I've also seen two heavily drug addicted women fighting at ashmont and see police there fairly regularly as I take the train and bus there daily and occasionally the trolley. You can act like crime isn't real in ashmont, but I will tell you firsthand Fuller Street is not a nice street. And there ain't no way around that. Does ashmont really seem like the place to raise kids? People get shot, pistol whipped and burglarized weekly. Weekly. Like clockwork. and it's not even news.
I'll pass your kind wishes and concerns on to my friends who are raising their children in Dorchester and tell them they should move to suburbia post haste before DCF comes to their door.

People living in a city know and understand there are trade-offs versus living in purgatory--oops, meant suburbia.

Folks on C-D, and especially on any Dorchester post, forget that some people and people with children really do prefer and chose to live in cities for the many, many benefits. Won't list them because they aren't things you want from your living/home space.

City people vs. suburban people will never, ever see eye-to-eye.

Let's just accept that and move on and provide constructive advice when asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 10:08 AM

10,907 posts, read 7,716,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Thank God somebody has some sense. I lived there also for 12 years and would never live there now. It is more dangerous in the previously "safe" areas and just as bad as it ever was in the less safe areas.

Of course, many people live out their lives in Dorchester without injury. But just look at the crime stats.

Here is an interesting link: Armed home invasion in Dorchester: Residents tied up, one pistol whipped | Universal Hub
C'mon Martha Anne, this was obviously a targeted crime, as in it was probably a low level drug dealer's home.

I've been on Carruth St for 10 years and have never had a problem.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:54 AM

347 posts, read 341,974 times
For the most part I wouldn't. A place in the lower mills or neoponset I would consider it. I'd much rather raise my kids in roslindale or hyde park

Old 08-25-2014, 12:40 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,933,946 times
Meanwhile, the OP checked out a year and change ago.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 637 times
Dorchester is a pretty large area and has a lot of poverty everywhere (think plenty of disillusioned, disenfranchised angry teenagers) and in or on the boundaries of the nicer neighborhoods, where the wealthier residents reside. For 12 years, 1999-2011, I lived in one of the nicest parts, near the Ashmont Hill T. I'd not raise my kids there in 2000 or now. I only realized how different the atmosphere of my neighborhood was when I moved to Newton (a different world, I well know) and didn't look over my shoulder constantly when walking at night or to and from the T at any hour. There was a robbery-gone bad stranger murder in my neighborhood, occasional gang fights in the streets, robberies, car thefts, break-ins, etc. The property values pre-2000 were an ok deal for fixer uppers, but from 2005 to 2014+ they are unreasonable, given dorchester's crime, quality of schools, and inadequate city services. If you can afford a $375,000-$500,000+ house, there are other, reasonably priced towns within commuting distance to downtown Boston. Will you get as much house? Maybe. Will you get better city services, better schools for your kids, and experience less day to day crime worries? Likely.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:37 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,933,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Meanwhile, the OP checked out a year and change ago.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:47 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,325,020 times
Couldn't pay me enough to live in Dorchester, that fact that there are nice "pockets" in it aren't fooling anybody. The schools are as bad as they get. People are entitled to their opinions, but anybody that tells you that BPS is running a good school system is an idiot. The stats don't lie, check them. If you want a good place to raise your kids and good schools, leave the city. What settle on an overpriced home, with terrible schools and over pay insurance and everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abolgani View Post
We are looking at homes in the Ashmont area on the west side of Dorchester Ave. I checked out the schools within walking distance of our potential home and there are a few tier 1-2 schools but then there are also tier 3-4 schools. What are the chances we can get into the tier 1-2 schools? Is it really a lottery?
They'll send your kids wherever they want, plain and simple. Sometimes they call it a lottery for the better schools, when your in school they let you "pick" your next school.....NOPE! Walk around Ashmont BTW, One side of Dot ave is fine, the other side is ghetto as hell.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:43 PM

373 posts, read 486,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I have to echo Quincy. It is not much further from the Financial District compared to Dorchester and it can be a decent community for a family. The school are supposedly much improved as compared to years ago.
Boston magazine has at times just ignored Quincy's school system. Yet in the same strokes they would write about Cambridge as exceptional. Cambridge's scores are low. Quincy has good results and seemly fails to make mention on a number of faulty lists.

Bill

Old 01-04-2015, 07:26 PM

4,245 posts, read 3,314,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ey View Post
Boston magazine has at times just ignored Quincy's school system. Yet in the same strokes they would write about Cambridge as exceptional. Cambridge's scores are low. Quincy has good results and seemly fails to make mention on a number of faulty lists.

Bill
This is because there's lots of money behind Cambridge and other places that get you mentioned positively by the Boston Magazine. Cambridge Ridge and Latin scores terribly on all fronts, but because Harvard dumps so much money and prestige into it, the power behind Boston Magazine has to promote the underperforming HS. The only thing exceptional about Cambridge R & L is that it's located right in Harvard's lap. But with all the resources that Harvard donates to the school, it's still a poor performer. I have an old friend who teaches at Harvard Law, and he is always lamenting about how much money Harvard spends helping Cambridge R&L out of egalitarian and liberal idealism.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:53 AM

486 posts, read 360,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Couldn't pay me enough to live in Dorchester, that fact that there are nice "pockets" in it aren't fooling anybody. The schools are as bad as they get. People are entitled to their opinions, but anybody that tells you that BPS is running a good school system is an idiot. The stats don't lie, check them. If you want a good place to raise your kids and good schools, leave the city. What settle on an overpriced home, with terrible schools and over pay insurance and everything else.

They'll send your kids wherever they want, plain and simple. Sometimes they call it a lottery for the better schools, when your in school they let you "pick" your next school.....NOPE! Walk around Ashmont BTW, One side of Dot ave is fine, the other side is ghetto as hell.
When it comes to schools you're faced with the same issue no matter where you live in Boston - makes no difference whatsoever whether you live on Beacon Hill or Meeting House Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston