U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 08:35 PM

14 posts, read 38,052 times

Advertisements

It's east Boston a safe area? I see there are really nice lofts out there. What about nights out etc?

Also, on Jamaica plain should somebody avoid the border with Roxbury or is it still ok? I am talking about the Orange Line route. How good is JP in terms of bars, restaurants and pedestrian traffic in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 12:04 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,417,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsaaa View Post
It's east Boston a safe area? I see there are really nice lofts out there. What about nights out etc?
Define "safe". It's not a place where you're actually likely to get hurt or anything like that. On the other hand, it's certainly not a wealthy area and property crime is as a result higher, as well as there being more run down feeling areas, especially later at night.

If you were looking out that direction, you could also consider Winthrop, which is a solidly middle-class town, and a couple min drive or bus ride from the Orient Heights T stop (when it reopens in another month). Just watch out for flood zones and Logan noise.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:07 AM

34 posts, read 58,756 times
You are correct, East Boston is an odd hole in the public transit system. In terms of travel time it is much farther from everything then he mileage would suggest.

There are bad areas of Dorchester. There are also some pretty good areas of Dorchester, and parts of it are a gay Mecca. It's really neighborhood by neighborhood.

I'd say Roxbury is still sort of bad. Most don't know this, but there are some bad parts of Cambridge. (But everything near a T stop in Cambridge is really nice and is the "cool" area of Boston).

I'd say a good rule of thumb is if it is near an Orange Line stop, it isn't great.

JP is pretty good in the area of bars and restaurants.

Brighton is quite safe.
Quincy is a bit out of the way but is really safe.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:02 AM

32,964 posts, read 22,892,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdLincoln86 View Post

I'd say a good rule of thumb is if it is near an Orange Line stop, it isn't great.

I know you said rule of thumb, but I've lived right near Sullivan Sq off of Washington for three years now and it is safe as can be. The visuals are different from Union or Davis Sq (other places I lived extensively), but as far as safety there is no difference.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:48 AM

95 posts, read 213,869 times
I don't really know why people are recommending such oddly out-of-the way places for this guy to live. I think JP, in the area between the pond and the Green Street/Stonybrook stops on the Orange Line would be a perfect place to live. You could easily afford a decent place there on 80K, and it would be quick ride on the Orange Line to Back Bay. There is a huge gay population there, and one which is very much in the late 20s/early 30s range, so the night life and such is situated well for those seeking the type of entertainment that goes beyond cramming into a sweaty club with a couple of crappy well drinks in hand.

I wouldn't bother with South Boston, Dorchester, Brookline, and especially not Cambridge - all from a commuting perspective. I am sure that there are plenty of nice areas in these neighborhoods, but you will grow to hate yourself and your commute if you have to cram onto a Green line train every morning from somewhere in Brookline. The amount of time it will take you to get a fairly short distance will appall you. Likewise with the others on the Red Line. By the time Red Line trains get to the Dorchester/SB area they are totally crammed with people from further out, and you will have to cram similarly to go two stops, get out and walk through more crammed hallways to get onto an equally crammed Orange Line train and go two more stops. Save yourself some aggravation and go for JP. You could try the South End, which would probably be walking distance to most jobs in Back Bay, but you'll have to decide how much of your income you want to go to rent - it will be pretty pricey there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or