U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 05:24 PM

14 posts, read 37,917 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am a young (early 30s) gay male college professor who will be moving to Boston in a couple of months. I've been through a lot of posts here about which areas are best for living, but I haven't heard anything about areas to avoid. Areas that are dangerous with high crime activity. Any thoughts?

My office will be at Back Bay which means that I will have to commute from a place where I can afford the rent. My salary is in the middle $80Ks. Any ideas about safe areas with young population which will be affordable to me?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 10:14 PM

6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsaaa View Post
Hi all, I am a young (early 30s) gay male college professor who will be moving to Boston in a couple of months. I've been through a lot of posts here about which areas are best for living, but I haven't heard anything about areas to avoid. Areas that are dangerous with high crime activity. Any thoughts?

My office will be at Back Bay which means that I will have to commute from a place where I can afford the rent. My salary is in the middle $80Ks. Any ideas about safe areas with young population which will be affordable to me?

Thanks in advance
The worst areas are in Roxbury, Dorchester and Mattapan. In any neighborhood (South Boston, Charlestown, Jamaica Plain, Roslindale, etc.) avoid areas bordering the projects. Outside of Boston avoid Chelsea and Lynn. Be careful with Malden, Everett, Revere, Somerville, and Cambridge. All have sketchy areas along with the good.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:32 AM

14 posts, read 37,917 times
Thanks massnative72. What do you mean by "avoid areas bordering the projects"? Do you mean avoid ares bordering these neighborhoods?

Old 10-19-2013, 06:19 AM

10,891 posts, read 7,710,202 times
Not to run completely contrary to Massnative's areas to avoid but quite a bit of Roxbury and Dorchester are perfectly fine to live in. In fact there is quite a large gay male presence in Dorchester.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:59 AM

4,239 posts, read 3,310,990 times
Ys, the Savin Hill and Ashmont areas of Dorchester are great and growing gay centers. Check them out. One of my male relatives who is gay lives there, and he loves the area.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:20 AM

53 posts, read 73,245 times
Definately want to stay away from Mattapan. Parts of Dorchester can be good like someone said previously. I would stay away from Jamaica Plain too, atleast the side of JP that is closer to Egleston Station. The closer you get to Roslindale and West Roxbury the better. I am from Roxbury and I would say stay away lol.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:23 AM

10,891 posts, read 7,710,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Ys, the Savin Hill and Ashmont areas of Dorchester are great and growing gay centers. Check them out. One of my male relatives who is gay lives there, and he loves the area.
My wife and I live on Carruth St and the only thing that has ever happened to us was a car break-in. That being said, it is a part of the city that is near the poorer areas and some of the garbage that goes on in those areas spills over into our area.

My recommendation would be to look at the Baker Chocolate Factory apartments. It's very safe and it is on the Red Line high speed trolley line.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:33 AM

484 posts, read 823,990 times
Off hand I would say The south end. Many gays live there. Also, the savin hill section of Dorchester and one of the nice things about Savin Hill is there is a T train station right there. A quick hop into downtown.

Another area would be Mission Hill. For you it would be an easy trip to your office. There is a gay presence there also.

One more area with a huge gay presence is called the Fenway area.

I grew up in Mission Hill.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:45 AM

3,783 posts, read 2,794,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
My recommendation would be to look at the Baker Chocolate Factory apartments. It's very safe and it is on the Red Line high speed trolley line.
Ah, the Lower Mills area of Dorchester. I loved that place when I lived in Quincy. I worked right across the Neponset river in the Newport Ave Extension section of North Quincy. I jogged through Lower Mills quite often. I preferred it over my own neighborhood. There is a nice bike path along part of the high speed trolley line. I wonder if they ever completed it down to Mattapan Square.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:07 AM

6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsaaa View Post
Thanks massnative72. What do you mean by "avoid areas bordering the projects"? Do you mean avoid ares bordering these neighborhoods?
Areas "within" those neighborhoods that are near to the projects aka D St. in Southie, Heath/Bromley in J.P., Washington/Beach on the Roslindale/W. Roxbury line...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or