U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 08:40 AM

4 posts, read 5,138 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I was wondering what people's opinions are on raising a family in So. Boston these days? I am originally from So. Boston but moved to NC about 5 years ago. We are not happy here at all. I miss the city and am considering moving back. I know Southie has changed a TON over the years but in my heart I am hoping it is still a great place to raise a family. I have a 5 year old son and would definitely send him to private/Catholic school. My husband and I work from home so we can live anywhere and we have a home that a family member owns where we could stay until we find a place of our own to live. I know that there are a lot of young professionals in Southie but are there still young families too? Would it be a family friendly area? Fond memories of Castle Island, skating at the hockey rink and hopping the bus for a trip in town for the day come to mind. I'd love for my son to have a similar experience and fun childhood. Not really fond memories of the winter though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 03:27 PM

538 posts, read 1,044,719 times
KellyMcDonough, I believe that it would be a great place to raise children as it once was. No place is the same, as change is our only constant. Welcome back and the hot dogs are still tasty at Castle Island

Old 10-20-2013, 08:29 PM

288 posts, read 489,861 times
Do you have a budget and do you know how much square footage you want?

I grew up in South Boston and have lived here for 30 years and also did the skating rink, Castle Island, and the hot dogs. My husband and I want to start a family soon, but honestly, we've been priced out of the area. There's only condos on the market and they rarely have three bedrooms/ 1.5 baths, without costing a lot of money. For $300-$500 per square foot, we might as well move to Newton or Brookline! We're young professionals, but South Boston doesn't strike me as being friendly toward young, growing families on a budget. We've noticed a couple of new babies on our street and a couple of kids at the school bus stop, but I wouldn't say it's teeming with families like Newton, Jamaica Plain, West Roxbury or Roslindale. Of course, my stomping grounds are in the southern part of South Boston. The northern part might have more families out and about, though I haven't walked in that area enough times to notice. I think the best thing you can do is walk around the neighborhood to get the feel, and to visit the local parochial school to see what the community is like.

Last edited by sharencare; 10-20-2013 at 08:58 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 08:49 AM

Thanks Sharencare. I know how you feel. It's crazy expensive in Southie now. We are in the fortunate situation where if we came back, we have an empty house to come home to that's owned by a family member. So we could just pay a very reasonable amount of rent. So my main concern is the amount of children that are there now. My son is very friendly and I have no doubt he would make friends in school without a problem. I'm just concerned about schools closing due to lack of business. I mean, in order for a school to stay open it needs to have enough people enrolled to fund it. I would hate to have my son settled in a nice school and happy there and then BOOM - "sorry, we have to close!" Then he has to start all over again somewhere else. As far as I know the 2 Catholic schools in Southie are So. Boston Catholic Academy and St. Peter Academy. I believe SBCA goes to grade 6 and St. Peter goes to grade 8 (which I would prefer). I plan on checking things out and asking many questions before we make any kind of decision.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:55 AM

4 posts, read 4,583 times
Default Families are still here...

We live up the street from the South Boston Catholic Academy (St. Brigid's when I was there and when my daughter was there!) - each morning we see lots of families walking their children to the school, so young families with kids are still here! Our daughter left St. Brigid School to attend Boston Latin School in the 7th grade; the paraochial school was losing a lot of kids in the junior high years (BC High has opened a Jr. High program which is very popular for boys; the exam schools are a draw) so that is why it changed from being grades 1-8. There is an emphasis there now on pre-school, pre-k and after school programming. This summer, there was a summer program there too.

The issue of course is the cost of houses here, as others have noted. We bought a family home and renovated it (once we decided to stay in the city). We're happy that we did that because we're able to help elderly family members who live nearby and to enjoy city life. At least you have the option of a reasonable rental of a family home while you settle back in and make your more permanent decisions.

Hope you return! It is such a fabulous place to live - Castle Island, M Street park, the lagoon, Sully's, along with new restaurants on Broadway and convenient access to downtown. Good luck with your plans.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:32 AM

Thanks SBER. I went to Gate of Heaven and had a great experience there but of course that school is no longer around. I enjoyed going to school in one place up to grade 8. There was a great sense of community and it was like a little family. From what I hear So. Boston Catholic Academy is a great start for kids though. I haven't been able to find too much information on St. Peter Academy. I plan on visiting soon and checking out both schools while I am there. It's one thing to look online and another to see for yourself in person! I really do hope everything works out because I miss "back home" terribly! Being able to walk basically everywhere is one of the things I miss the most. Of course being a mom, I have to do what I think is best for my son. I'm hoping everything works out. Thanks again for the feedback!

Old 10-24-2013, 09:52 AM

484 posts, read 827,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellymcdonough45 View Post
Hi,
I was wondering what people's opinions are on raising a family in So. Boston these days? I am originally from So. Boston but moved to NC about 5 years ago. We are not happy here at all.
Hi Kelly, just curious why you are not happy with NC? I only ask because it's one of the places I am considering.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:53 PM

David223, the reason we are unhappy here is mainly because of missing "back home". Although we don't miss the weather I miss being able to walk everywhere and all the things that make Boston great. We miss the city feel. NC is a very nice place, depending on which area you live in of course. Depending on what you are looking for, you could very well be happy here, it's just not for us. The milder weather is certainly nice though!

Old 11-02-2013, 10:04 AM

484 posts, read 827,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellymcdonough45 View Post
David223, the reason we are unhappy here is mainly because of missing "back home". Although we don't miss the weather I miss being able to walk everywhere and all the things that make Boston great. We miss the city feel. NC is a very nice place, depending on which area you live in of course. Depending on what you are looking for, you could very well be happy here, it's just not for us. The milder weather is certainly nice though!
Sounds good Kelly. I was just wondering why people don't like certain places. I hear about people move to Florida and come back also.

Anyway see you down Castle Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston