U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 07:37 AM

70 posts, read 78,998 times

Advertisements

Thanks everybody, for all the great info and warm welcome! I have a good feeling about this place...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 10:34 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,962,531 times
Where will you be relocating from, E? Greater Boston is chock-full of transplants (myself included.) You can probably easily find people who've been where you are geographically and can draw comparisons between the places.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:00 PM

goyguy:

I'm coming from southern VT where I did grad school; originally from Houston but went to college in NJ and spent much of my 20s and 30s overseas, in Central Europe and Saudi Arabia; also lived in NM and southern CA briefly.

One thing I noticed during my visits last winter is that Boston FEELS colder than VT even though VT is usually 5-10 degrees colder, which I'm guessing is a result of the coastal humidity.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:49 AM

3,385 posts, read 3,789,598 times
Welcome ahead of time, everyone seemed to give a really good run down already, but wanted to add one additional point. I am an avid runner myself and know that once a week I like to mix in a track/speed workout with my usual distance runs. There are two excellent tracks open to the public every night.

- Tufts University Somerville/Medford: Directions to Tufts University Athletics Facilities: Tufts University Athletics

- Steinbrenner track MIT: Henry G. Steinbrenner '27 Stadium - MIT

Both have lights as well for night workouts.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:42 AM

^ Thanks, I do like speedwork myself!

Old 10-28-2013, 12:11 PM

5,053 posts, read 4,861,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E922 View Post
^ Thanks, I do like speedwork myself!
People also get together at the Harvard stadium to run the stairs. I know a pretty strong tri guy (he also does ultra marathons...Kraaaaaazy!) who invited me. It almost killed me - there are some strong dudes out there.

There is also a group that does sprint repeats up Summit Ave (avg grade is over 8% for about 1/4 mile) in Brookline. It's quite literally a PITA (the next day that is). Used to do it early in the am (6:30 or so).

I haven't gotten with either group for the last several months but assume they are still doing it. You may be able to find info if you're interested. And if you decide to do either of those with any gusto, make sure to not eat anything spicy beforehand, spicy vomit is much leass pleasant that regular ol' vomit.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:30 PM

22 posts, read 34,582 times
Comcast and RCN are not the only two options in Boston. Check out netBlazr. I couldn't get RCN at my current residence so got Comcast, and the bill was always different, and after 6 months the price changes, ridiculous etc. Good luck with the other items

Old 01-19-2014, 10:14 PM

RCN has been great so far...although I just got a letter from them saying that starting next month, the free basic cable that I was getting with my internet service will now have a $4/month surcharge due to increases in "programming fees" and "retransmission fees" from various networks. So I called them to drop the free TV portion (since I never bothered to buy a TV anyhow) but was told that they couldn't drop only the TV portion because the internet-with-free-basic-cable was part of an introductory discount package and the regular cost of the internet-only package would actually be a couple dollars higher than the new price increase!

Left a bad taste in my mouth, but since their actual service, both technical and human, have been excellent so far, guess I will stick with them for now...still seems to be a hell of a lot better than all the Comcast horror stories I've heard and read about.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:13 PM

2,027 posts, read 5,019,445 times
Quote:
RCN has been great so far...although I just got a letter from them saying that starting next month, the free basic cable that I was getting with my internet service will now have a $4/month surcharge due to increases in "programming fees" and "retransmission fees" from various networks. So I called them to drop the free TV portion (since I never bothered to buy a TV anyhow) but was told that they couldn't drop only the TV portion because the internet-with-free-basic-cable was part of an introductory discount package and the regular cost of the internet-only package would actually be a couple dollars higher than the new price increase!

Left a bad taste in my mouth, but since their actual service, both technical and human, have been excellent so far, guess I will stick with them for now...still seems to be a hell of a lot better than all the Comcast horror stories I've heard and read about.
Interesting... I thought your rate is 'locked' during the 12 month period according to what you signed up for.

So what is the total you pay for internet and the basic cable?

Old 01-20-2014, 11:34 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,962,531 times
Quote:
Of that I can assure you you're correct.
As far as not bothering to buy a TV: "Dude!" I've done without one since May '05 and am none the worse for it. It's always good to find a fellow traveler of any kind.
How are the martial arts and running going? (Regarding the latter, it looks like indoor treadmill weather for the rest of the week...) I hope by now you've connected with SRR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston