Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 08:46 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,125,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
I think it's a very thing that those things don't are taken into account. I wouldn't want to be grouped with others based on marital status for example. I understand that in general people who are married are less risky, but that may not necessarily be the case for me personally. Since this is a question of driving ability, it should come down to your driving record.
Furthermore, I think people shouldn't have their car insurance canceled. I wouldn't want to be in an accident with someone who doesn't have car insurance, and even if there may be somewhat of subsidy, it's not outrageous in my opinion.
I don't know you, but based on your comments, it would seem to me that you subscribe to the liberal view that "we're all the same" and that it's society that is responsible for your problems, rather than you.

Sure, some married people may be worse drivers than some single people, but statistically, that's the exception. Insurance is based on risk and on statistics. People who make the decision to break the law and drive recklessly and dangerously SHOULD have their insurance cancelled, and their privilege to drive should either be lost, or they should have to pay premiums that make them absorb the responsibiliy for their bad choices. The government SHOULD NOT have the power to force a private company to insure a bad risk. Of course, some people would respond that the evil, greedy private insurance companies should be put out of business and the state should take over the insurance business. That attitude was part and parcel of why MA has the system it has today.

As far as the subsidy goes, it's always easy to be in favor when you benefit from the subsidy. I don't know if your STEP rating is high, but I was a step 9 or 10 for years and paid through the nose to subsidize bad, urban drivers. Now I live in Atlanta and pay about 20% less. My habits are the same, but I don't have to pay for the bad habits of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 05:14 PM

646 posts, read 1,784,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I don't know you, but based on your comments, it would seem to me that you subscribe to the liberal view that "we're all the same" and that it's society that is responsible for your problems, rather than you.

Sure, some married people may be worse drivers than some single people, but statistically, that's the exception. Insurance is based on risk and on statistics. People who make the decision to break the law and drive recklessly and dangerously SHOULD have their insurance cancelled, and their privilege to drive should either be lost, or they should have to pay premiums that make them absorb the responsibiliy for their bad choices. The government SHOULD NOT have the power to force a private company to insure a bad risk. Of course, some people would respond that the evil, greedy private insurance companies should be put out of business and the state should take over the insurance business. That attitude was part and parcel of why MA has the system it has today.

As far as the subsidy goes, it's always easy to be in favor when you benefit from the subsidy. I don't know if your STEP rating is high, but I was a step 9 or 10 for years and paid through the nose to subsidize bad, urban drivers. Now I live in Atlanta and pay about 20% less. My habits are the same, but I don't have to pay for the bad habits of others.
No, I didn't say that we're all the same, my point was the opposite. Instead of being grouped with other married people, my INDIVIDUAL driving record should speak for itself. Just because I'm married, I shouldn't get a break because married people in general drive slightly more responsible.

And thanks for making the assumption that I'm only in favor of this because you think I benefit from it. More likely, I'm one of the people who "subsidies" the bad drivers.

Where we disagree is on the factors that should be taken into account. I think only individual driving related factors should be included and not socio-economic factors.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:09 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,125,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
And thanks for making the assumption that I'm only in favor of this because you think I benefit from it. More likely, I'm one of the people who "subsidies" the bad drivers.

Where we disagree is on the factors that should be taken into account. I think only individual driving related factors should be included and not socio-economic factors.
I didn't make the assumption that you benefit. In fact, I specifically mentiond that I didn't know...the "you" was the generic plural...not you specifically.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:14 PM

646 posts, read 1,784,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I didn't make the assumption that you benefit. In fact, I specifically mentiond that I didn't know...the "you" was the generic plural...not you specifically.
I apologize, it just sounded it like that when strung together - not sure why you had mentioned that most people who like the system are the ones who are being subsidized. I guess I'm one of those who still believe it's the right thing to do to base my premiums on my individual performance than a group's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston