Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 11:06 PM

4 posts, read 8,235 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I am currently a freshman at UMASS Boston. I am also currently a commuter. This, I desperately want to change. My commute, due to the fact that I live on the North Shore, is long and expensive (2 hours one way and $275 a month, yay). Now, UMB is located in Dorchester, and not the prettiest part of it either. We do have student apartments here, but quite frankly the whole area is very sketchy and rowdy at times as well.
I was just wondering, are there any parts of Boston (or the greater area) that are more suitable for young women to live in? I've always lived in very safe areas so I'm not used to having to think about it, but I'm just turning 20 and not particularly imposing or street smart..
Also, perhaps an area that wouldn't completely break the bank? Our appts here are around $500-$600 for 2 rooms, which hurts, but would be doable.
Any areas that come to mind? I really wish to move out next year, but I have no idea where to start.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 12:34 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
You'll need to get roommates to be anywhere in Boston or adjoining towns for $600. Studios in decent neighborhoods are certainly NLT $1100. Try to get roomies from your school or similar places in the other schools. Best bet is something along the Red Line - Davis Sq or Porter Sq. Red Line stop goes to Umass. YOu could also do Allston Brighton but then you'll hafta switch from the Green Line at Park St Station. NBD, but will definitely add commute time and hassles.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:11 PM

728 posts, read 974,917 times
Bostonian08 I believe hit the nail on the head. In order to find a good residence with the specifications mentioned(Safe, cheap, and T access) you would need to head North(Cambridge, Somerville). Altogether, the area around UMass Boston isn't tailored to the average Boston college student. And I almost forgot to mention you have a few options South of Boston too. Quincy has a few stops along the Redline and has apartments close to the T near Quincy Center and North Quincy Station and if you would be willing to take a bus; Quincy Adams as well.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the answers, I figured I'd definitely need a room mate or two and already have people in mind for that. I don't mind switching lines honestly, right now I have to do that anyway, plus a 50 minute ride on the commuter rail..anything less is better! I'll look into those areas, thanks again

Old 11-29-2013, 10:12 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
You say you don't mind switching lines now, but I guarentee a commute from, say, Brighton all the way down the green line B and transfering at Park every day will probably take at least 50 minutes and be much more hot and frustrating.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:12 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,481 times
Even if a ride on the t or bus might be long, consider that it would save you 200 per month compared to the commuter rail pass

That being said I would look south of umass on the red line, starting at Savin hill over the bridge and moving down the line.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:32 PM

I pay $275 a month right now for my MBTA pass (zone 6). As long as it is cheaper than that, and not longer than the 2 hours I need atm, I think I'll be fine! Or at least better off than before..
How is South Dorchester? I'm not really familiar with the area but there seem to be lots of housing options I found on Walk Score (dunno if that is a reliable website or not). I will look into Savin Hill and Quincy. I do know that getting from Cambridge to UMASS is kind of difficult and lengthy though..well, last time I checked. Maybe the people I talked to exaggerated?

Old 12-02-2013, 08:39 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,837,616 times
Not sure that "South Dorchester" is a term people use but you probably mean places like Neponset, Ashmont, Cedar Grove, and Lower Mills. I'd say Columbia Point, Savin Hill, Uphams Corner, Meetinghouse Hill, and some other sub-neighborhoods are more "north" Dorchester. Savin Hill "over the bridge" -- meaning the little peninsular section east of the expressway -- is a really nice residential area. The rest of Savin Hill is much more closely built but liveable, reasonably safe (the mayor-elect lives there) and popular with students and young professionals. So is the area around Columbia Road-Dorchester Ave, and the Polish Triangle of streets between Boston St and Dorchester Ave. Central Dot would include Fields Corner and Codman Square. The area there has some of the nicest streets in the city, especially Melville Avenue, near the Shawmut red line station. Everything around the Shawmut station seems pretty nice on the surface but a lot of people find it unsafe walking to and from the station after dark. Fields Corner is pretty gritty. Ashmont seems much better and it's a nice neighborhood although with some inner-city issues. Popes Hill/Neponset is quiet and pleasant, not much going on, but not walkable to the red line (maybe the buses work well; I don't know.) Lower Mills is very good and on the Mattapan "high speed" line that connects to the Red Line at Ashmont. Nothing in Dorchester has the scene you'd find in Cambridge, Somerville, JP, and other areas but you'd be very close to school.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:11 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldn View Post
I pay $275 a month right now for my MBTA pass (zone 6). As long as it is cheaper than that, and not longer than the 2 hours I need atm, I think I'll be fine! Or at least better off than before..
How is South Dorchester? I'm not really familiar with the area but there seem to be lots of housing options I found on Walk Score (dunno if that is a reliable website or not). I will look into Savin Hill and Quincy. I do know that getting from Cambridge to UMASS is kind of difficult and lengthy though..well, last time I checked. Maybe the people I talked to exaggerated?
North Quincy seems to have more college aged people than Dorchester. One would think it would be the exact opposite. South Boston more than either one of these. If I were you, I would do the longer train ride and live in a more fun area like Davis Square.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:11 PM

34 posts, read 72,479 times
Quincy is the logical location. Not too expensive (by Boston standards), relatively safe, not very many miles from UMass Boston, and it has a red line that goes to the JFK/Umass stop.

Cambridge is a bit farther away, and because it is considered "cool" it is likely to be more expensive. There are also a couple sketchy parts of it, believe it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston