Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 06:42 PM

146 posts, read 189,432 times

Advertisements

Went to Jumbo Seafood place in chinatown recently and was shocked by low quality food and horrible service there. Granted I was a single white guy over there I never got "hello" or "welcome" from the personnel, got tasteless tea, weird plate with chunks of meat instead of ordered lobster sauce shrimp and eventually got sick stomach soon after leaving the place. The personnel has been walking around me all the time with long faces.
Is Chinatown is generally place to avoid for white folks in Boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 07:34 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal8 View Post
Is Chinatown is generally place to avoid for white folks in Boston?
No not at all; I love Chinatown!

When I'm in that area I like to go to the Chinatown Café on Harrison Ave. It's usually pretty crowded, and its fried rice is both good and copious by my standards. Granted I've never paid attention to whether or not I got a "hello" or a "welcome", and it isn't the type of place that has waiters, but I've always thought the employees were friendly enough.

Friends have also recommended Empire Garden as being a good place for Dim Sum, but I haven't tried it yet.

[and I'm European-American, by the way]

Old 11-24-2013, 07:40 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
I like Gourmet Dumpling House.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:07 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,561 times
No. There's quite a lot of good food in Chinatown. Most of the better places are the more foreign/authentic places....which also means they're fairly difficult to eat at unless you bring a friend who speaks the language, because odds are that most of the staff and customers will not speak English well.

I'm fond of Hei La Moon for cheap cart-service Dim Sum. BIG place with hundreds of people in it on weekends, good food, and it never seems to be more than $10 per person. However, they generally don't speak English, even your bill (except for the total) will be in Chinese, and there is no menu. So if you don't speak Chinese, you're going to have no idea what you're picking besides what it looks like.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:31 PM

288 posts, read 634,803 times
I think you just ordered the wrong food. Or maybe you got the wrong dish? I personally like Jumbo Seafood but I only order their best dishes, which are softshell crab, clams, abalone, ginger and scallion lobster, green beans, etc. I'm Chinese-Vietnamee, and these are the delicacies and treats from my childhood. If you order General Gao's Chicken or something with "lobster sauce" (which doesn't even have lobster), it's like ordering pizza at a Chinese restaurant. That stuff is not real Chinese food, but is only on the menu for squeamish Americans. I don't think you can even find those items in Asia. Seriously, my Chinese mother would never deign to eat it because she knows it's fake food that would give her indigestion. (Like why order fried rice from Panda Express? The rice is too brown because they dosed it with soy sauce and oil. Any real Chinese household that eats like that will suffer massive indigestion too. Fried rice to a Chinese family is a leftovers treat that should be a light color and not particularly salty.) Anyway, it's ok to order that food for takeout, but if you have Asian friends that bring you to an "authentic" Chinese restaurant, don't order General Gao's or the fake food. It's polite to defer to their recommendations. I say kudos to you for even trying to venture out on your own, but if you go again, I say try the list above.

As for the service, it's not surprising. The hosts upfront are better. But the waiters don't get tipped well nor do they know English well, so they won't suck up to you whether you are Asian or white. They act like that to everyone regardless of race.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:31 PM

34 posts, read 72,467 times
No, not at all. I've had lots of great experiences there and I'm a squeamish white guy. My favorite restaurant is in Chinatown (Penang). Chinatown has a whole lot of tiny, inexpensive restaurants, many very "authentic" so I'm sure not all are good. However, there are plenty of good restaurants there, and plenty that cater to a more mainstream audience. '

Yes, there are a few places where the staff are wildly racist, and I would strongly recommend you *NOT* ask a first generation Asian for advice on where to eat in Chinatown. (There tastes are sometimes very different.) Look at the Zagat guide and ask your hipster or foodie friends.

I'd suggest Penag, Eldo Cake House, and China Pearl.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:25 AM

288 posts, read 634,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdLincoln86 View Post
Yes, there are a few places where the staff are wildly racist, and I would strongly recommend you *NOT* ask a first generation Asian for advice on where to eat in Chinatown. (There tastes are sometimes very different.) Look at the Zagat guide and ask your hipster or foodie friends.
Haha. Yeah, as in "different" tastes as they know what's fresh, tasty, and authentic. No hipster is going to know Chinese cuisine better than an actual native of China. I treat the Zagat guide with skepticism. They list P.F. Chang's which is overpriced, over-salted, and uber greasy. Mary Chung's in Cambridge is also on the Zagat list, and even if you forgive it for it's American Chinese menu, they still produce subpar food. I would trust Yelp more if you are going the foodie rec route. Szechuan Gourmet in Framingham though is very good and very authentic with great service.

Last edited by sharencare; 11-25-2013 at 12:43 AM..

Old 11-25-2013, 07:56 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
I had a terrific meal at Taiwan Cafe last night.

Food poisening doesn't set in that fast, so it's extremely unlikely you got sick from your meal, it was probably something you ate earlier.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharencare View Post
If you order General Gao's Chicken or something with "lobster sauce" (which doesn't even have lobster), it's like ordering pizza at a Chinese restaurant. That stuff is not real Chinese food, but is only on the menu for squeamish Americans. .

Excellent advice.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:38 AM

229 posts, read 384,667 times
I would also recommend Chilli's Garden at Medford.

On Dim Sum, does anyone know where to get 'Crispy Dough'? ... the longish fluffy oil-fried dough that comes in pairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston