U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 959 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
we are located in the SF Bay area (Silicon Valley) and are relocating to the Boston area because of work. We have an 18 month old daughter and a 9 year old BIG Beauceron (who loves people and kids). Since we will be moving there for the first time, we want to rent, and preferably near a 'T' station. I'll be commuting to Newton, and dont really want to drive unless absolutely necessary.
Which place would you suggest which is ideal for young children (day cares/preschools, libraries, fun things to do) and not too far away from Boston/Cambridge and Newton?
I also need to take into consideration winter and winter activities, both my wife and daughter would absolutely love to not be cooped in during winter, how do families handle the cold? the snow?
Is living in Cambridge be a good idea? or would it be better in more suburban settings?
Any opinions? Or have I asked a question that has already been asked a million times?
thanks a lot in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 05:16 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,398,897 times
Your budget will determine best areas. If you can let us know what is your budget and what kind accommodation in terms of size you are looking at, we can help you better. Newton is very nice option, it not too urban, but not too suburban either. Very family oriented place and very safe as well. It is also expensive.

You will find that there is generally plenty to do around here, even during winter time. It does get very dark early and it is very cold, but most parents manage to have fun with their little ones.
You do not have to live in the particular town to be able to participate in family activities. Hope this small sampling of links below, will help you see what options are there. Cambridge is very expensive and often caters to students and DINKS. I would look at Belmont, Newton, Brookline, if you can afford higher rent. If you need cheaper rent, Watertown is great.
Good luck!

Newton Mothers' Forum

Watertown Family Network

Belmont KidSpace

Old 11-11-2013, 07:15 PM

484 posts, read 830,378 times
If you can afford Newton then I would suggest live right where you work. Can you say easy commute. Besides Newton is a fantastic town to raise kids. It's highly desirable.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:27 PM

450 posts, read 465,192 times
I'm guessing rents here won't shock you since you're coming from the Bay area. I live in Brookline (with no dog and no kids) and really like it. There are lots of families here and day-cares seem to pop-up daily. I see people walking their dogs all the time. We live near a big park, too, which is near the elementary school and the Brookline library. With a dog your best bet is a private landlord; lots of management companies rule out dogs. The D line goes to Newton (not sure where in Newton you'll be working. Don't live in Cambridge if you're working in Newton and don't want to drive. Don't live there if you're working in Newton and want to drive...

Old 11-11-2013, 08:02 PM

761 posts, read 378,663 times
The dog is going to be a BIG limiting factor. I'd contact a realtor. I have 2 large dogs and didn't even consider renting when I lived there. I live in the bay area now and own for that reason.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:29 PM

628 posts, read 801,002 times
Cambridge to Newton would not be an easy commute. This isn't a large city, and the basic transport links all run in and out of Boston, not from suburb to suburb. To get to Newton, it would be easiest to live somewhere west of Boston--if not Newton itself, then Brookline, Needham, Natick or Wellesley (for example) or other places in that direction. All fairly pricy places, unfortunately.

As for surviving winter, staying indoors is what people do. If not your own home, then maybe some kind of community activity center.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:27 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,341,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barca745 View Post
Hi All,
we are located in the SF Bay area (Silicon Valley) and are relocating to the Boston area because of work. We have an 18 month old daughter and a 9 year old BIG Beauceron (who loves people and kids). Since we will be moving there for the first time, we want to rent, and preferably near a 'T' station. I'll be commuting to Newton, and dont really want to drive unless absolutely necessary.
Which place would you suggest which is ideal for young children (day cares/preschools, libraries, fun things to do) and not too far away from Boston/Cambridge and Newton?
I also need to take into consideration winter and winter activities, both my wife and daughter would absolutely love to not be cooped in during winter, how do families handle the cold? the snow?
Is living in Cambridge be a good idea? or would it be better in more suburban settings?
Any opinions? Or have I asked a question that has already been asked a million times?
thanks a lot in advance!
Cambridge is very overpriced, but being from SF that won't be much of a change. There's plenty to do their and it shouldn't be hard to be near a T Station. As far as the cold, theirs nothing to handle, put on a coat and live life as usual. Me personally, would prefer something more suburban for the kids, a yard to run around etc. I'm honestly not sure about the Cambridge school system, Boston's is complete crap, many people discriminate against pets, (which a yard would also be very good for) so that alone may filter out many properties. Although I typically hate them, you may want to work with a realty co to narrow stuff down for you their commission would probably be worth the headache being removed from your search.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:10 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,495,775 times
No leash law in Sherborn

Old 11-21-2013, 05:12 PM

34 posts, read 58,669 times
It all depends on your budget, and whether you will have a car. Newton is beautiful and has great schools. Lots of expensive houses with tiny yards. A friend from Cakifornia actually said it reminded him of the "non celebrity" parts of Beverly Hills.

Brookline also has a great school system, and is a bit more urban...brownstony and townhousy sort of things. An easy commute to Newton by subway.

I would totally recommend Cambridge to a twenty-something. It is the "cool" area of Boston with lots to do. However, I find it's school system is deceptively bad...beautiful buildings, but not as good as those buildings would suggest. All the areas near the subway spots are great. Lot of techies. However, there are bad areas. The vision of Cambridge I get from people who grew up their is a bit different from what I see with my hipster and techy friends. Also, the subway system is set up so it is a long hall from Newton by subway. (An easy drive, however.)

Watertown is an easy drive to Newton and Cambridge, but it is an odd hole in the subway system. A bit more reasonably priced.

If you have a good budget and a car, Wellesley and Lincoln are good options. (But more urban).

If you don't mind commuter rail, Natick is a bit cheaper and has more places with yards.

The cold is...over hyped. Even terrible cold isn't a problem if you dress properly. People bundle kids up and send them to go sledding or have snow ball fights. Actually, there isn't snow on the ground much of the year. Kids are bothered by the cold less then most adults. A bigger problem is walking to the subway when the ground is icy. If snow melts then refreezes, it can be very slippery, and can make a four block walk to the subway somewhat scary.

Boston actually has a similar culture to San Francisco. Liberal, but a bit less loud and showy then San Francisco. Very studenty.

Last edited by EdLincoln86; 11-21-2013 at 05:26 PM..

Old 11-21-2013, 10:51 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,559,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
Cambridge to Newton would not be an easy commute. This isn't a large city, and the basic transport links all run in and out of Boston, not from suburb to suburb. To get to Newton, it would be easiest to live somewhere west of Boston--if not Newton itself, then Brookline, Needham, Natick or Wellesley (for example) or other places in that direction. All fairly pricy places, unfortunately.

As for surviving winter, staying indoors is what people do. If not your own home, then maybe some kind of community activity center.
Agree commute from CAM-NEW not easy via T. Live along a green line instead. Very hard to find a rent for a big dog. Boston is dog UNFRIENDLY! Most dog owners own. Suggest you plan to buy if bringing a big dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or