U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 06:00 PM

7 posts, read 7,198 times

Advertisements

JP, south End.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 06:16 PM

83 posts, read 292,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I don't know whether you're trying to bash the Back Bay Neighborhood with this post or simply trying to tell the OP to simply look elsewhere. Either way, I would not want to put down a neighborhood with a Mandarin Oriental Hotel, a Neiman Marcus, a Barneys of New York, and a Saks Fifth Avenue all within walking distance of each other even if I could never afford to live there. Back Bay remains the most prestigious neighborhood of Boston and until the Seaport is fully built, the most popular as well.
I work in Back Bay, and dread the nights when I work late thanks to all of the fratboy nonsense that happens at about half of the Boylston Street bars, every Thursday through Saturday.

I grew up a few blocks outside of Union Square in Allston (which is a longtime student ghetto), and worked in nightclubs for ten years, so it's not like I am thin-skinned about this sort of thing.

I'm frankly amazed that Back Bay's many reputable businesses and many wealthy, older residents put up with this to the degree that they do.

As you pointed out there are plenty of amenities in Back Bay, and I'd add it has some of Boston's best architecture as well.

But the quality of life there is lower than in other rich neighborhoods (Beacon Hill, South End) thanks in large part to the keg party vibe that is tolerated on its main drag for 3/7 of the week.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:19 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,033,293 times
I would say the South End is the closest thing to SoHo in Boston. I used to live right by SoHo btw and although I think the South End may be the closest fit for you, don't expect it to be a exact mini-replica of SoHo. Boston, for the most part, is not as trendy and fashionable as NYC. But I still think you will find a number of boutiques, indie theatres/art galleries and hipster restaurants that should meet your needs. Just don't expect the scale of the area and its vibe to be close to SoHo.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:30 PM

122 posts, read 204,942 times
For a foodie who wants something of a NY feeling (though I'd say more like Columbus Avenue than Soho), I'd suggest the South End (not South Boston). There are more interesting restaurants there than in any of the Cambridge neighborhoods, though she could do well there.

Where is she going to work? I personally can't stand commuting and give a lot of weight to a very short commute (mine is currently 6 minutes).

Old 12-26-2013, 02:41 PM

23 posts, read 34,583 times
I wanted to come back and say thanks for everyone's thoughtful responses. My friend just signed a lease on her new place. She said that she will be relatively near Copley / just a block or two south of Columbus Ave in the South End. Although she really liked the modern apartments over in the waterfront/canal/innovation area, she ultimately decided the South End was more convenient for someone new to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or