U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 09:08 AM

361 posts, read 345,179 times

Advertisements

Hey CD folks, I was wondering if anyone on here is familiar with the process of becoming a real estate agent in the city of Boston? I understand an approved class is necessary to take the licence test. I've found a few schools offering the 40 hours of class for $300 but I don't understand what additional steps are necessary to become an agent? I'm sure these questions could be answered for me at the class, but I'm avoiding paying for the class until I have a better understanding of the process. Thanks a lot for any information =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 09:08 PM

6,325 posts, read 9,043,748 times
The state licensing bureau's web page will have a lot of the answers you seek:

Continuing & Pre-Licensing Education

As a real estate agent, I would tell you to think long and hard before taking the time to go through the course. It's a really tough job and if you want to be successful then you have to be willing not only to work long hours but weekends as well. You have to be prepared to drop whatever you are doing at any given moment to help a client.

I've seen a lot people go out and get their license because they think this is some kind of "get rich quick" job and I can assure you it is not. Many agents don't make a single penny their entire first year in the industry.

Knowing this, if you pursue your license and get it, I would suggest you spend a good amount of time finding the right broker to hang your license with. Don't pay too much attention to how much of the commission you get to keep. Your main priority right now is training and mentoring. Find a broker who will teach you how to be a successful agent. Without good training and mentoring you'll never make a dime so it won't really matter how much you get to keep if you don't earn anything.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or