Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 05:15 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,864,816 times

Advertisements

I'll probably get blasted for making this post but I have trouble understanding the "Boston Strong" feeling that has swept the city since the attack.
Boston was not really strong.The entire metro area cowered in their homes until the crisis was over.
A couple of loser teenagers brought the city to it's knees.
They closed the streets,subways,trains, buildings,airport,schools.....everything.You couldn't leave your house to buy a quart of milk.
The media had stories of people hiding in their homes with clubs and knives under their beds.Absolutely terrified.
The police and first responders were not intimidated,for sure,but everyone else was hiding under their beds until they were caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 05:26 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,820,464 times
I wasn't. I went to work as I was "essential". But in general people were doing as they were instructed to by public safety officials. I knew of no one "cowering" in fear.

And yes, you should be blasted.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:10 PM

503 posts, read 1,200,548 times
Why didn't you come down from the mountains and save us?

Old 10-31-2013, 06:48 PM

387 posts, read 913,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
The media had stories of people hiding in their homes with clubs and knives under their beds.Absolutely terrified. The police and first responders were not intimidated,for sure,but everyone else was hiding under their beds until they were caught.
Do you have a source on that? Everyone I know stayed home at the police's request in order to facilitate the hunt for the bombers. The point was not to get in the way of the police in any way.

While it was a little annoying to stay off the roads, most of us were able to telecommute, and it really wasn't much different than a snow day. If the news media managed to find a few people actually hiding under their beds, I guess that made for good copy, but it certainly wasn't the norm.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:10 PM

41 posts, read 71,903 times
I agree with you 100% about Boston Strong, but I dislike the slogan for different reasons. To me, Boston Strong is a marketing slogan and the city calling itself Boston Strong minimizes the struggles those directly affected by the bombing will have to endure for the rest of their lives. Those affected by the bombing are strong for the adversity they've had to overcome; the rest of us really have no idea what they've gone through. We got to move on with our lives a few days after the bombing.

The World Series has taken the Boston Strong stuff to an entire new level and the celebration of the Sox in connection with the bombing just seems in poor taste. Case in point was the local media covering the drunken, reveling Sox fans taking pictures at the marathon finish line last night. A lot of the media coverage came across as celebrating a tragedy, even though I know that was not the intention. A bit more nuance, tactful and perhaps somber approach would have been more appropriate.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:22 PM

26,649 posts, read 28,537,679 times
No. There is strength. There is strength in the attitudes of the survivors and their bravery. They have not been forgotten. There is strength is the people's ability to bond together during the search for the bombers and to maintain dignity and to abide by the rules set by the police to stay in place. There is strength in the forward movement of the population, not to be set back by the actions of madmen, but to keep on going.

There is strength in a team that works together and goes from last to the very TOP. There is strength in a populace that sticks together and supports the team. Boston has proven that they are strong and "Boston Strong" is an appropriate motto for a city that stands out among other cities.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:30 AM

2,713 posts, read 6,088,632 times
Quote:
I'll probably get blasted for making this post but I have trouble understanding the "Boston Strong" feeling that has swept the city since the attack.
Boston was not really strong.The entire metro area cowered in their homes until the crisis was over.
They closed the streets,subways,trains, buildings,airport,schools.....everything.You couldn't leave your house to buy a quart of milk.
The media had stories of people hiding in their homes with clubs and knives under their beds.Absolutely terrified.
The police and first responders were not intimidated,for sure,but everyone else was hiding under their beds until they were caught.
I left my home in Boston, worked a full day in DT Boston, and bought a quart of milk on the way home. You seem to be very confused.

I'd suggest sticking with the Ft Myers forum. Maybe discuss what Gertrude was wearing down the suffleboard courts yesterday. You're out of your league here.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:47 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,658,255 times
Sometimes Strong means doing as the powers to be do request and that was stay in your home! Sure you are not too happy but are strong and do it.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:50 AM

9,959 posts, read 15,555,257 times
Not everybody stayed in their home.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:35 PM

157 posts, read 324,914 times
Quote:

Wow, really??
People did not "cower" in their homes, they were following the directive from the police to remain in their homes so they could do their jobs.
You make it sound like a couple of punk kids mugged a person. Are you forgetting that they made BOMBS that killed four innocent people and injured dozens of others?? Yes, the city was closed down because there were murderous maniacs on the loose. If this had happened in your town, would you have gone out and walked around knowing they had killed an officer in cold blood? Would you have allowed your kids to go play at the park knowing they could be shot by these crazy a$$&0!$@?

How about this....you go join the military and take a walk through the desert, unarmed, in Afghanistan. If you don't take cover (because a truly strong person wouldn't do that right?) when psycho's are shooting at you then maybe you can come here and criticize. Until then, why don't you just worry about what happens in New Hampshire and leave MA to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston