U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 07:59 PM

6,326 posts, read 9,046,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
My house was built in 1888 and it's beautiful. The woodwork is natural untainted oak and we heat with natural gas. The vast majority of homes in MA heat with natural gas. My home will be here in 200 years, too many homes out west won't.
As much as I disagree with many of the things liberl8 has said here, he/she is correct in that heating with oil is far more common in this part of the country than many other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 08:01 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,217,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
As much as I disagree with many of the things liberl8 has said here, he/she is correct in that heating with oil is far more common in this part of the country than many other areas.
It's down to around 30% and the number keeps dropping.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:21 AM

483 posts, read 354,892 times
can anyone give me a rough estimate on how much it will cost to move, including truck, movers, packaging etc for a 5 bedroom house from Vegas to Boston? thanks

Old 12-26-2013, 10:42 AM

5,026 posts, read 4,843,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
can anyone give me a rough estimate on how much it will cost to move, including truck, movers, packaging etc for a 5 bedroom house from Vegas to Boston? thanks
I bet a moving company could. Why not call and get a few quotes?

And a couple other things, this is the Boston Forum not a moving forum. We live here, which doesn't make us knowledgeable about what it would cost to move here from a different area. I mean even if we were aware of moving costs here, how would we know what the moving costs would be in Vegas? Different area of teh country = different prices. And lastly, this was a thread that had to do with something completely different than what you're asking, making it more conducive to staring another thread (in a different forum).

OK, now that I'm done with that I'll try to take a stab at an answer to your question. I moved 4 yrs ago from about 6hrs away, 3 bedroom house. Cost us about 3.5k if I recall correctly so it would of course be at least that much for you. I would guess you're looking at around 6k but it's just a guess based on not much. If I were you I would also explore the possibility of moving your stuff cross country by train - less expensive but longer amount of time. We used professional (and insured) movers but could have saved a good deal of $ if we rented our own truck, hired some people from craigslist or a local college to load it, drove it here ourselves and then hired other guys to unload. But, that's a big hassle and can be a risk. A friend of mine tried that to save some $ and the guys he hired never showed up. It was a big deal, he ended up not really saving anything, tons of heartache, and many logistical issues. We decided to pay the extra $ for a well regarded company to ensure a smooth transition and it was a good decision.

Best of luck and please place $50 on black for me.

Edit: We did save a couple hundred dollars on some things though, such as packaging. We got our own from Home Depot and packed a good chunk of our place - let the pro's handle the rest.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:19 PM

6,326 posts, read 9,046,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I bet a moving company could. Why not call and get a few quotes?
I would agree. It's a longshot that anyone who reads this will have relocated from Boston to LV and have any idea what the cost of such a move would be. Call several moving companies and get multiple quotes. A big factor in the amount of the quote is: who is doing the packing. If you pack the boxes yourself it will be far cheaper than having the movers pack everything. However, if you do pack the boxes yourself and something gets damaged the movers will be less likely to cover the damage.

Also, when your belongings arrive in LV make sure to inspect everything thoroughly. Almost everyone I know who's moved cross country has had some level of damage done to their possessions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Edit: We did save a couple hundred dollars on some things though, such as packaging. We got our own from Home Depot and packed a good chunk of our place - let the pro's handle the rest.
Home Depot had the best prices on boxes that I could find when I moved last year. Far cheaper than Staples or the moving companies. I actually got a lot of my boxes free from a friend who's company gets a lot of incoming shipments and ends up having to recycle the boxes afterward. I also know a lot of people who've had great luck posting on local electronic bulletin boards getting boxes for free from someone else who recently moved.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:00 PM

146 posts, read 151,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
My home will be here in 200 years, too many homes out west won't.
And why would that be exactly? All american homes are built in the same way - plywood frame with fake brick or plastic planks over it. That's how Europeans built temporary housing for refugees.
I agree that your home will be around for long, but not because it's built as a proper house - West coast living standards are so much higher that nobody would live there in a house like yours 50 years ago (other than homeless) - they would demolish it and build a modern energy efficient and health friendly house.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:06 PM

32,778 posts, read 22,735,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal8 View Post
And why would that be exactly? All american homes are built in the same way - plywood frame with fake brick or plastic planks over it. That's how Europeans built temporary housing for refugees.

Have you even been to Mass? Doesn't sound like it.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Have you even been to Mass? Doesn't sound like it.
I just came back from another business trip to MA. Why?
Oh, I think we will see another post from a new englander living in some abstract world like "all our houses are built from brick to the highest standards..."

Old 12-27-2013, 12:10 PM

2,545 posts, read 4,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal8 View Post
And why would that be exactly? All american homes are built in the same way - plywood frame with fake brick or plastic planks over it.
He said his home was built in 1888. Plywood wasn't used in home construction until after WWII.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
He said his home was built in 1888. Plywood wasn't used in home construction until after WWII.
Well if that's so then it's wood frame which is already rotten - no way this will last another 200 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or