U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 11:43 AM

33 posts, read 41,190 times

Advertisements

Hey guys i am a young college graduate in my mid 20's and is considering Boston as a choice to move to. I have also considered Seattle, Minneapolis, Memphis and Denver as well. But I want some input about Boston I currently have a Bacholer's Degree in Communications with a Concentration of Marketing. I'm wondering are there any good jobs in Boston for my career field. I have browsed Career Builder and saw a few companies, but I still wanna throw some more things out there. Also where is the best place in Boston to live for a young professional? How is public Transportation if you don't have a car? What are the safe areas and bad areas of Boston??. How about Nightlife and other things?? any information will be helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 03:18 PM

2,769 posts, read 2,209,055 times
There are jobs for someone like you in Boston, but the competition is high and the pay is relatively poor given the cost of living here. Also be careful- many companies that are really located in the suburbs try to list their jobs as being located in Boston.

Best place to live for someone in your shoes is a tough question to answer and it depends on how much you are willing to spend (and sacrifice) as well as where your job is.

Public transit in the city has good coverage but the reliability can be spotty; It is still absolutely better than owning a car for most people. I'm not going to touch the good/bad area question because everyone will swear their neighborhood is perfectly safe even if the statistics show otherwise.

If I was in your shoes I wouldn't pick Boston unless I were already here or had family in the area. You will probably have a better quality of life if you get a job in the other cities you listed.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:27 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,385,170 times
Line possible job first, know what you can make here, and then figure out if it is something you want to do. This is very expensive area. You need very good salary, and to be able to stand out to get well paying job.
Starting out, COL is brutal, so I am not sure if it is best place for you right now. However, there are many young professionals in the area, and currently Boston/Cambridge is very hot with bio-tech and research crowd. They make very good money, and seem to have good time in Boston.
I would second Dm84.
Good luck.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:52 PM

7,852 posts, read 6,805,356 times
I'm mid 20s, living in Boston. Moved here for a pretty low-paying but professional job. It's been a great decision. I've been able to put together a nice little freelance career in addition to my daily work and have made a lot of connections that I wouldn't have made in the other cities I've lived in. I have some great references too for when I decide to move onto something else. I'd recommend coming to Boston if you can find a job to get you here.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:20 PM

7,064 posts, read 10,808,136 times
You have exactly the same degree/concentration as my middle daughter (she's 25) and she's had no problem finding good jobs. In fact, most of them have recruited her. She's currently working in the suburbs, though.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:56 PM

2,049 posts, read 3,460,267 times
You may wish to consider if you're content to rent for a decade or more, or can you afford a condo or house by then? You may never be able to buy here, unlike Denver or Minneapolis, even though your pay may be higher here.

But you'll save the car expense by taking public transit for around $80 monthly unless you live out in commuter rail locales.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:04 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,740,447 times
If you are a rock star on the SEO, SEM, social media, analytics stuff, you can likely find a decent job here in a corp communications department. I know a number of talented young people concentrated on the marcom writing side who have had much difficulty finding work here.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:17 PM

5,015 posts, read 4,826,504 times
Strange mix of places you are considering there OP. Have you ever been to Boston, or any of the other cities you mentioned? I mean there are so many things that are different between the places. Boston vs. Memphis? Apples to Oranges my friend.

I guess I would say that if you'd be happy in Memphis, you may not like Boston.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:38 AM

444 posts, read 459,906 times
I lived in Memphis and now live in Boston. There are great things about both. COL is way way lower in Memphis. Public transportation is practically nonexistent. Nightlife is more spread out and there are more bars, fewer clubs.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:04 AM

146 posts, read 151,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicK Thomas View Post
Hey guys i am a young college graduate in my mid 20's and is considering Boston as a choice to move to. I have also considered Seattle, Minneapolis, Memphis and Denver as well. But I want some input about Boston I currently have a Bacholer's Degree in Communications with a Concentration of Marketing. I'm wondering are there any good jobs in Boston for my career field. I have browsed Career Builder and saw a few companies, but I still wanna throw some more things out there. Also where is the best place in Boston to live for a young professional? How is public Transportation if you don't have a car? What are the safe areas and bad areas of Boston??. How about Nightlife and other things?? any information will be helpful
I am well past my 20s but if I were you I would strongly consider West coast instead - very strong economy, mild weather with far better outdoor opportunities, much nicer people overall and BTW much better schools, which will become important once you get married.
Boston is a nice place to visit as a tourist, but living there ... extremely high COL, long harsh winters, very old, worn out and super expensive housing. Yes, you MAY get around without a car, if you enjoy public transportation which is equally old and worn out, smelly, slow and overloaded most of the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or