Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,930 times

Advertisements

Hi there fellas, I'm moving to Boston this month from MD. And after tons of research, I've narrowed my options to the following two apartments and need your help in picking one.

I just turned 27 and won't know anyone in the city. I hope to immerse myself into the city and make new friends etc.

Option 1: Apt by Carson Beach in South Boston
Option 2: Apt on St. Paul St. in Brookline

Both are similarly priced and are 2 br, 1 ba but the one in Brookline has 2 people sharing the other br. In other words, three people to the br. This is the only downside I see to living there and the fact that there are no good gyms nearby. Gymit is for weaklings. What do you guys say? Which area is better for a guy like myself? Which area is funner? Obviously both are easily accessible from to downtown. I have dedicated parking that I can buy in Brookline but I'll be on a waitlist in south for one. I need to have a bar for my profession. But someone told me that finding parking is easy in South.

Last edited by wasvsdal; 12-05-2013 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 11:38 AM

41,940 posts, read 36,711,281 times
I would prefer Brookline myself, but if you need to have a bar for your profession (?) and a "real" gym, South Boston is probably better for you.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,930 times
I have a designated spot from management for my car in Brookline so it's actually better for me there from that point of view. I'm thinking Boston Athletic Club in South Boston unless I can find something else that's better. But I'm sure I can just drive there.

Why do you prefer Brookline?

Old 12-05-2013, 11:47 AM

596 posts, read 811,274 times
I live in Brookline and I love it. I don't know much about it, but there's also a BodyScapes fitness near Beacon and St. Paul. I wouldn't say Brookline is super "fun" in terms of bars and stuff, but things are really convenient and it's on the T. I've heard bad things about Andrew square in South Boston, which would be your closest T stop.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:11 PM

34 posts, read 72,024 times
Brookline is slightly safer. (But neither is likely to be all that dangerous) Brookline is a mix of upper middle class families and college kids who spilled over from Allston. (Upper income families are attracted by the great school system, college students by the Green Line and proximity to Cambridge) Bars nearby are likely to be either college bars or yuppy bars. The college kids in Allston are all new to the area and looking to meet people. I find the area fun...it has the Coolidge Corner Cinema (an art house cinema) and is near Cambridge.

Less familiar with South Boston. South Boston is likely to have fewer upper income families and fewer college kids. (Fewer upper income families because it is part of the Boston Public School system). It's mostly going to be a mix of blue collar families and a few single upper income yuppies. Bars are going to be a mix of Blue Collar Neighborhood bars and yuppie bars.

Not sure which area is better for a guy like you, because I don't know what you like to do. A lot depends on how well you handle roommates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston