U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 02:00 PM

16 posts, read 19,943 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Thanks for reading!

I live in an apartment complex in the Fenway area with my roommate. We had a very old oven/stove. Never worked perfectly, but worked enough to use. Through no fault of our own (to which building management agreed), the stove caught on fire and went up in flames. Thankfully my roommate was home and was able to put out the fire with an extinguisher. The building fire alarm went off, people had to be evacuated, my roommate called 911 and firefighters even came. The stove/oven was clearly not up to code and it was near gas. If my roommate wasn't so quick thinking, this could have been a major catastrophe.

Now, however...we are left without an oven/stove (going on three days now, were told it would be ready yesterday). They gave us two little burners on our counter top, which don't even work and are unusable. Most of our food had to be thrown away, smoot is still covering our floor and ruined additional bathroom appliances. What steps should I take? Unfortunately I already sent my rent check over the weekend (my roommate did not). I feel like I would rather hold off payment until the matter is resolved (if at all anytime soon). Do I put a stop on the check until this is resolved? What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 03:57 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,391,178 times
Talk to your landlord first and give him/her chance to do it right (they should clean your place ASAP and provide you with a new stove), if not possible, talk to lawyer (there are free ones that can help with advice and how to proceed) and perhaps start looking for a new place.

The Boston Rental Housing Center was created by Mayor Thomas M. Menino in 1995 to provide advice, information, and assistance to Boston landlords and tenants who have problems or questions about rental housing issues.

The Boston Rental Housing Center:

• Mediates housing-related disputes, free of charge. The BRHC has helped to resolve hundreds of landlord-tenant disputes in a non-threatening and non-partisan atmosphere.
Contact - City of Boston

Boston Rental Housing Center | City of Boston

Old 12-03-2013, 05:18 PM

5,945 posts, read 6,760,173 times
First of all, kudos to you and your roommate for your quick and smart thinking.

What about the stove wasn't up to code? Was this information given to you by the fire department? You could talk to the City of Boston building department if this is the situation.

It may take a bit longer to get the place cleaned up and a new stove delivered. Your landlord's property insurance and/or your renter's insurance should cover any loss of your property including steps to clean up linens and clothing and in many cases will cover temporary stay in a hotel or short term rental, loss of food and cost of having to eat restaurant food due to not having a stove. Your landlord should reimburse you for this regardless.

Not sure what you mean about ruined bathroom appliances. If there was destruction to the actual structure of the building, you may not be in a habitable place for months to come.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:20 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,330,745 times
You can only withhold rent in certain situations, I doubt a broken stove is one of them. Do you not have renters insurance? Would have paid for all your losses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or