U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 05:57 PM

15 posts, read 24,433 times

Advertisements

I lived in Brookline last year and two of my roommates when to MASSart. It is an extremely safe and beautiful little city! It is part of Boston, just a section of it. It's not very far from MassArt, my roommates would either walk to their school (which I believe took 20 minutes) or took the train or bus. It really is the safest part of Boston in my opinion, I have taken walks by myself at night and I'm young and a female too. It was actually really inexpensive where we were living, there five people in a four bedroom apartment and I paid $470/month. If you look really hard and get a 1 bedroom studio you could probably get an affordable place, or consider getting some roommates, maybe a 4 bedroom and 5 roommates there, then you guys split the cost as if 4 people were living there. it really cuts down a lot.

Finding a job is a little hard in my opinion. but you can always work at a place like Starbucks, Trader Joe's etc.-a lot of college students do that and I find that starting pay for pretty much everywhere in the city is $10/hr. also, if you live in Brookline it's really close to Newburry St. one of my roommates worked at H&M and there is just... so many stores and cafes on Newburry so you could probably get a job there. if you have a job now, you can probably make a little more than 10/hr if you do something similar in the line of whatever job you have.
Parking lots, some do some don't. Mine did, but you had to pay a certain amount every month. I didn't have a car and neither did any of my roommates, actually... I didn't really know any college students who had cars! It's actually EASIER to use the train/bus because city driving is not fun at all, this might be biased because I hate driving altogether, but if you're going to be living close to your school it is completely unnecessary and I don't recommend it. It would be cheaper and easier to walk or use public transportation and you are saving pollution on the environment. I really loved my entire experience last year and I hope you will too.

ps, I didn't even mention the interracial part because like everyone said.. no one cares at all and there are so many interracial relationships it's not abnormal and no one will look at you twice. it's a really diverse, open-minded and beautiful city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandao View Post
My boyfriend and I are planning on attending Massachusetts College of Art and Design and UMass Boston within the next few years from a small town in Michigan. He is half Asian and I am a girl, so I would like to live somewhere safe for both of us that isn't too far from both schools. We'll be renting an apartment, too, so I want to live somewhere as affordable as possible.

Two additional questions:
- Is it easy to find a decent part-time job in the city?
- Do most apartment complexes have parking lots? I am just wondering, because we'll probably have a car to share between us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 841 times
If you want to live in a very diverse and funky place close to the Mass Art, Jamaica Plain is your place to be. You have plenty of parking on the street, there are lots of green spaces, it is the greenest part of Boston. Bus 39 takes you right to Mass Art in 12 minutes and to downtown in 20.

Finding a job is relatively easy in Boston. The economy has not been hit as hard by the downturn.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:36 AM

1,867 posts, read 2,976,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandao View Post
He is half Asian and I am a girl, so I would like to live somewhere safe for both of us that isn't too far from both schools.
So he is half Asian? What's the other half? What about you? Are you Black, White, Hispanic, something else?

My answer MAY differ, depending on the true makeup of this interracial couple. Or was I supposed to just assume he is half-white and she is all white? Would the answers differ if we find out he is Asian and Black, and she is Black?

Old 12-14-2013, 12:10 PM

5,945 posts, read 6,751,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra1034 View Post
If you want to live in a very diverse and funky place close to the Mass Art, Jamaica Plain is your place to be. You have plenty of parking on the street, there are lots of green spaces, it is the greenest part of Boston. Bus 39 takes you right to Mass Art in 12 minutes and to downtown in 20.

Finding a job is relatively easy in Boston. The economy has not been hit as hard by the downturn.

Jamaica Plain would be perfect for the MassArt student.

Would that be a less than ideal commute for the UMass student?

Old 12-14-2013, 01:01 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,305,426 times
Parking is a pain in the neck. A lot of rentals do not have much parking at all.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:17 PM

5,945 posts, read 6,751,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
So he is half Asian? What's the other half? What about you? Are you Black, White, Hispanic, something else?

My answer MAY differ, depending on the true makeup of this interracial couple. Or was I supposed to just assume he is half-white and she is all white? Would the answers differ if we find out he is Asian and Black, and she is Black?
Good point, we all read something and jump to conclusions right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or