U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 11:38 AM

4 posts, read 27,031 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I have received an offer from Harvard to begin a research position there this January. It is likely I will be working there until at least January 2015, but most likely it will be longer.

I currently live in a suburban area renting a master bedroom with my long time girlfriend and work in Washington DC. We both graduated from college 2 years ago, so we're still fairly young. She will most likely be coming with me since most of her work can be done remotely.

So far, I've only been looking on Craigslist - are there other places I should be looking at? Also, will people be willing to rent out just a room to a couple, or should we go the 1 bedroom or studio route?

Below are some of the things I'm trying to sort through as I look for the best area to live in:
23 year old couple, no pets
No real credit history (we're still fairly new grads :/)
$1600/month or less (can be increased)
Commutable or walking distance to Harvard University by public transit (probably will not have a car)
Completely new to the Boston/Cambridge area
Safe

I am not too particular on being near the extremely social areas, as I've felt I've gotten most of that out of my system during college years, so I don't care either way. Having some other conveniences somewhat nearby would be a plus, but not necessary, since I'm used to driving to get to Target or shopping centers or wherever I need to go.

I currently commute ~45 minutes to and from work each day, but I only accept that because traffic is horrendous in the DC area and the metro isn't great either. So if there can be less than 45 mins of commute time, that would be great.

Also if there are things I'm not thinking about before making the move to the area that I should be, please let me know. Thank you so much for advice/tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 11:46 AM

3,384 posts, read 3,773,189 times
Congrats on your offer!

I would try to stay on the Red Line, which would give you a direct one train shot into Harvard Square. So hop on Craigslist or Trulia and check out:

Cambridge (Kendall Square, Central Square, Harvard Square, Porter Square, Alewife)
Somerville (Davis Square)
Arlington (Anywhere along the 77 Bus route would take you directly into Harvard Square)

All the best.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:46 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
What part of Harvard? Harvard Yard? HBS? Allston? Medical / Longwood?

If main campus, if you can fine a good studio or lower end one bedroom in Porter or Davis Sq, you can't go wrong (redline to Harvard (or walk) and access to rest of city). If you wanted a more decent one bedroom North Cambridge (on 77 bus line, very frequent and right into Harvard Sq) (just stick close to Mass Ave) or Arlington along Mass Ave is good.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:14 PM

417 posts, read 534,680 times
I was also going to ask what part of harvard? My husband is in the Longwood area for research but I know they have labs in Harvard Sq and even MGH.

If it is Harvard Sq, you are lucky and itll be easy to find something in your price range in Porter Square which is just one stop from Harvard. you can find a 1 BR with heat and parking included for around 1400. We lived here in that price range, you should give them a call and see if they have any openings: 77 Porter Street, Somerville, MA. Apartments (very nice association!) It was a 15 min walk to porter sq or many people would bike to harvard sq.

Also Davis square would have some rentals in that price range, kendall sq too, and you may even find one right outside harvard square.

If its Longwood, everything around there is pretty pricey so some surrounding areas would be a better bet.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:50 PM

Hello all, thanks for the tips so far! I will be in the main campus area, it sounds like this will work in my favor.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:16 PM

Is securing housing possible prior to moving to the area? I've called about 8 open apartments from Craigslist and a few properties but they were not the most accommodating and said it may be best to call back when I'm in the area.

Is this common, or just bad luck so far?

Old 12-10-2013, 04:57 PM

701 posts, read 1,207,421 times
In my experience, what you're going through is pretty common. I juggled trying to find apartments back home in Texas before I moved out to Boston last year, and it was impossible until one of my former roommates managed to take a 4 hr drive down and look at apartments in person. The Boston/Cambridge/Somerville rental market is tough to lock down because it moves fast even during the off season. I would suggest you try to go up there on a weekend and hit as many open houses/appointments as you can.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:39 PM

Ahh.. that's going to be a tough one with the holidays coming up. After looking at all travel options, the days that I'm available to travel are just really not in my budget. My last day on the job is the 23rd... then it's Christmas/New Year's, and right after that I'm supposed to move up there. Seems like a hard spot to be in.

Does anyone know of any other alternatives?

Old 12-11-2013, 09:31 AM

701 posts, read 1,207,421 times
Hm, have you tried calling real estate agents instead of properties and open houses? Landlords tend to prefer to meet prospective renters in person or they depend on current renters to vet for candidates. With real estate agents, they're not the preferred means (because they're expensive), but I'm sure they're used to dealing with your situation and could help out.

If that doesn't work, see if you can either sublet someone's place temporarily or search craigslist for roommates who have leases that are month to month or short-term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or