U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 06:29 PM

383 posts, read 348,253 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one not irritated by this kind of question?

I think Boston's people are relatively pale (white and black) compared to the west coast and the south. I don't know enough people from the midwest to really compare... However I would be more prone to argue that Bostonians of all ethnicity tend to have a "dark" demeanor meaning cynical and serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 07:15 PM

3,305 posts, read 1,847,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Honestly I'm surprised that some people hate it when someone says they look darker. What's the matter?
Laughable. You assume a lot here. Me, I am Portuguese, commonly thought of as a dark skinned white or light skinned ethnic. I LOVE and am proud of this. I have been all over this country, mainly in rough, lower class areas, and people look and pretty much act the same everywhere. Seems to me you are just looking to stir the pot. YAWN.......

Old 12-15-2013, 08:21 PM

6,276 posts, read 6,121,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Laughable. You assume a lot here. Me, I am Portuguese, commonly thought of as a dark skinned white or light skinned ethnic. I LOVE and am proud of this. I have been all over this country, mainly in rough, lower class areas, and people look and pretty much act the same everywhere. Seems to me you are just looking to stir the pot. YAWN.......
I'm not a fair skinned person myself. May some posters here assume too much...
I just see the difference and find it interesting. That's it.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:59 PM

606 posts, read 911,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Am I the only one not irritated by this kind of question?

I think Boston's people are relatively pale (white and black) compared to the west coast and the south. I don't know enough people from the midwest to really compare... However I would be more prone to argue that Bostonians of all ethnicity tend to have a "dark" demeanor meaning cynical and serious.
It only depends on how people start to answer it.

Actually, when I moved to Los Angeles I was extremely aware of the presence of blond people. I don't know about actual skin color, but the blondness on the West Coast definitely seems more prominent. I actually think many Irish have darker features than assumed. Also, it's pretty incredible how few red-haired, super-pale and freckled Irish people exist out in LA. I don't think about day to day but when I consider it, like now, it's pretty crazy how actually few people there are here who like that, and how many there are back home.

Anyways, what I'm saying is, point taken. Because of the ethnic mix, it's definitely possible. But I don't think it has anything to do with time spent outside and being on the coasts etc. This is genetics we're talking about.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:34 PM

32,795 posts, read 22,758,498 times
What an odd thing to notice or care about.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:03 PM

5,917 posts, read 4,072,081 times
I can't even wrap my head around what the OP means.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:22 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,242,711 times
Quote:
I moved here from the Midwest, and I think Bostonians (white people) look darker in general.
I am just wondering if it is a false perception or not.

I have even thought about some theories, like Bostonians are outdoors more, or there are more Italians and Portuguese. Usually coastal people tend to be darker too.

Yours may sound like a crazy question upon first reading, and esp for people who spent their lives in metro Boston, but I understand what you mean, perfectly.

I was in Lansing, Michigan, two times for a few weeks each and was struck by the contrast in hair and eye color: Lots and lots of blonds and light browns, lots of blue eyes. When I came back to Boston each time, I realized how many white people are of Mediterranean background, with dark, often tightly curly hair and dark brown eyes. (My b.f. himself was Italian and he really stuck out in Michigan. I saw no one who looked like him there.)

Old 12-22-2013, 06:24 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,242,711 times
Quote:
I'm not a fair skinned person myself. May some posters here assume too much...
I just see the difference and find it interesting. That's it.
I know what you mean. Don't worry.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:28 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,333,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
BTW, your pictures are lame, and using this particular one as an example for Boston is in very poor taste and class.
Don't be a moron, the OP is not from MA and probably just googled Boston and grabbed the first pic of a bunch of people that came up. 99.99999999% of this country wouldn't recognize what that pic was and you know it. Don't help prove that MA is full of overly sensitive crybabies. In the end it's a picture of people, the context is irrelevant.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:03 AM

6,276 posts, read 6,121,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Yours may sound like a crazy question upon first reading, and esp for people who spent their lives in metro Boston, but I understand what you mean, perfectly.

I was in Lansing, Michigan, two times for a few weeks each and was struck by the contrast in hair and eye color: Lots and lots of blonds and light browns, lots of blue eyes. When I came back to Boston each time, I realized how many white people are of Mediterranean background, with dark, often tightly curly hair and dark brown eyes. (My b.f. himself was Italian and he really stuck out in Michigan. I saw no one who looked like him there.)
Oh I lived in Lansing too! East Lansing to be accurate. Michigan has many Dutch decedents I think. I remember a nearby town has a tulip festival every year. Also many Scandinavians.

I also lived in Kansas. Boston certainly stands out, compared to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or