U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 05:04 AM

444 posts, read 460,724 times

Advertisements

I live on the green line. For me, it's been less aggravating to take the green, to the blue, to the shuttle, instead of the green, to the red, to the silver. I hate how the silver line doubles back.

As far as spending the night in the airport, check here: Boston Logan Airport | Reviews and Guide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 05:44 AM

7,338 posts, read 15,309,608 times
The terminals are open all night. You can stay there so long as you have a ticket and you probably won't be the only one. I've done it at many airports (not usually by choice) and I know Logan is no different. You'll be fine.

The hotel right at the airport is the Hilton. There's also a Hyatt on the property though you'll have to rely on the shuttle. If you're looking to save a few bucks, almost all the Logan area hotels in Eastie or Revere have shuttles that will run early enough for you to mke the flight. If you live close to central Boston a cab will be cheaper still.

Services like Uber (google it) are cheaper than cabs, easy to use and if you're not already a member your first ride is free (typically upto $25) so you could do the airport trip for free or as little as a few dollars. I'm an Uber member and I swear by it. Uber X is cheaper than cabs by far and if you feel a little fancier, you can use it for a black town car which is typically as cheap as a cab. Worth a look

Old 12-17-2013, 07:15 AM

627 posts, read 796,890 times
It's not widely publicized but I've noticed that when you arrive back at Logan from wherever you've been, if you take the Silver Line to South Station and transfer to the Red Line, you never have to pay a fare, not at the airport or at South Station. But if you get the shuttle to Airport station, the ride is free but then you have to pay for the subway. Apparently Massport thought people were being discouraged from riding the Silver Line buses because they have to pay a fare immediately on getting on the bus (and if they weren't familiar with the system and had to ask questions, it delayed the bus) so Massport just subsidizes everyone's ride.

On the other hand, the buses are bumpy and take a roundabout route via the Seaport district. They're really kind of annoying--it ought to be a much better service.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:11 AM

2,025 posts, read 5,000,483 times
Thanks for the tip about Silver Line (originating at Logan) to Red Line transfer is free. I never thought about that... so that's definitely what I'll do on the return trip. Just 2 bucks to get to the airport, free to return from airport...not bad.

I agree. I remember that the Silver line bus is a really long ride when I took it many months ago. Not really a convenient way to/from the airport if you're in a hurry.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:51 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,207,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
It's not widely publicized but I've noticed that when you arrive back at Logan from wherever you've been, if you take the Silver Line to South Station and transfer to the Red Line, you never have to pay a fare, not at the airport or at South Station. But if you get the shuttle to Airport station, the ride is free but then you have to pay for the subway. Apparently Massport thought people were being discouraged from riding the Silver Line buses because they have to pay a fare immediately on getting on the bus (and if they weren't familiar with the system and had to ask questions, it delayed the bus) so Massport just subsidizes everyone's ride.

On the other hand, the buses are bumpy and take a roundabout route via the Seaport district. They're really kind of annoying--it ought to be a much better service.
Thank Massport for their generosity. It was a very smart idea to correct a very stupid idea by the T (having people pay on board fares at the airport). Almost as stupid is the fact that the T had to employ expensive dual powered vehicles on the SL1, which means having to change fuel in the middle of the route. This was all a politician's idea of presenting the image of progressive transportation in the South Boston Waterfront. BTW, the company that made these vehicles are no longer in business so I don't know how the T is going to find new vehicles to replace the current ones in the long run.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:55 AM

2,025 posts, read 5,000,483 times
So what a rush this morning to the airport. So I was way too late getting to the Red line, ended up just taxi from Broadway. It was 19 buck w tips by taxi in case anyone wants a reference.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:49 AM

7,864 posts, read 6,815,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The terminals are open all night. You can stay there so long as you have a ticket and you probably won't be the only one. I've done it at many airports (not usually by choice) and I know Logan is no different. You'll be fine.

The hotel right at the airport is the Hilton. There's also a Hyatt on the property though you'll have to rely on the shuttle. If you're looking to save a few bucks, almost all the Logan area hotels in Eastie or Revere have shuttles that will run early enough for you to mke the flight. If you live close to central Boston a cab will be cheaper still.

Services like Uber (google it) are cheaper than cabs, easy to use and if you're not already a member your first ride is free (typically upto $25) so you could do the airport trip for free or as little as a few dollars. I'm an Uber member and I swear by it. Uber X is cheaper than cabs by far and if you feel a little fancier, you can use it for a black town car which is typically as cheap as a cab. Worth a look
Thanks! I'm at Logan right now, chillin, waiting for my 6 am flight. Plenty of other people around. Not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or