Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 01:26 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I work for USPS and yes, there are actually strict rules for securing the trucks. It's an individual's responsibility to follow these rules since we are not constantly observed.

Every once in a while, someone from Safety or District might follow us.

Even while in the truck and driving, we are not supposed to keep the mail tray side window open more than a few inches. If someone can reach his arm down into the truck, it's open too far. And it gets really hot in those trucks in the summer!

Unfortunately, there have been several robberies and shootings of carriers across the country recently. Sometimes the thieves just want the "Arrow" key, which is the master key to the boxes in each particular city. It has an arrow on it.

That's the keychain Cliff Clavin wore in Cheers.
Thanks for your post. I was hoping someone who worked for USPS (or one of the others) would respond. Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 02:33 PM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,161,054 times
Add me to the list of people not surprised at what happened. How is this different from a holdup at a store? Or a snatch and run stealing filled shopping bags from customers in a parking lot?

BTW a UPS truck was robbed in Baltimore last week.

UPS Driver Robbed At Gunpoint, Suspects Get Away With Holiday Packages « CBS Baltimore

Up in NH, my UPS driver carries a handgun.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:17 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,187,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Don't UPS drivers have helpers drive around with them during the holidays. One sits in the truck while the other one delivers the packages. There would always be somebody watching the truck.

I really hope we are not giving scum bags any "new" ideas with this discussion.
Now that I recall, he was alone...unless any "helper" was still in the truck or already at a porch. But he seemed to have his hands full, alone, and seemed to be the driver. And it seemed that the back door would possibly be left open.

Hmmm...

Old 12-23-2013, 05:47 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,641,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Now that I recall, he was alone...unless any "helper" was still in the truck or already at a porch. But he seemed to have his hands full, alone, and seemed to be the driver. And it seemed that the back door would possibly be left open.

Hmmm...

Bostonguy, are you sure that UPS driver wasn't the Grinch in disguise about to load up his empty UPS truck with all the kiddies presents from Whoville. Not big brown but a big brown dog pulling the truck in front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston